Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got back on the bike last week after about 4 months off, the ride seemed a tad loose so I checked the tire pressures and they required a top up.

In looking into what the pressures should be set at, I came across many differing views, with some saying to crank them up to 40 psi.

The VN900C owner manual says:
F = 40psi, R = 28psi up to 97.5kg or R = 32 psi up to 180kg

What are your thoughts? I ended up sticking the rear up to about 40 psi (I don't way 180kg however lol, maybe about 90 or so.)

The ride does seem much improved but I want to make sure I am not putting myself at risk with over inflated tires?

Thanks,
Andrew.

·
Registered
782 Posts
You are not at risk. The 28psi from Kawasaki is really to low. They put the pressure like that to make the ride a little softer since bikes don't have as much suspesion travel as cars. But the down side is lack of handling and also it kills the life of the tire. I have a Classic and I run both at 38-40psi. The first rear tire that I had needed to be replaced at 8000 miles per it had always been run at 28psi. Also, the Dunlop stock tire is not known for long life. But since I put Metzlers on and am running the pressures higher, it is looking like I will get about 20,000 miles on a tire. And the handling is definitely better too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that, was getting a little concerned lol.

I found the Dunlops needed replaced at 5000 on the rear, so ditched that and also had the Metzler put on, I have done about 6000 miles and the tire still looks good to run for quite a while longer, and thats after a trip through Spain in changing climate and terrain (Mountains, sea level, loose gravel and some dirt roads..... = interesting experience lol).

I'm now due to change the front (once the tire arrives from back order) and hopefully I'll have more confidence in the bike as the front is getting bald.

·
Registered
161 Posts
i have a weird way for tire pressure i see the road print on the tire if the patch is 1/2 ( what i mean by patch is how much road dust covers the tire ) it's ok but if it's less that means the psi is over ??? thats my way and if it's over 3/4 of the tire that means the psi is low ???

·
Registered
113 Posts
My 2 cents.I go by tire manufacture specs.Also 2 factors to consider--weight and temperature.The colder it become there is volumetric contraction

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have an 07 900 Classic and have always run front and rear at 30-32 PSI. Just replaced the OEM Dunlops with Metzeler 880s at 14,000. Both front and rear still had life but the rear was starting to look like end of life so I made the change before putting the bike away for the winter.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I run 40 psi front and rear on my Custom.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All answers greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts