Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked through the forum and only found info on the water pump.

I have a VN 900 2008 with 26k miles on it. It appears to have a coolant leak either under pressure or it is very slow. It is leaking in the area of were the rubber hose connects to the metal fitting coming out of the rear cyclender.

Is there anything to check on the fitting to see if it is the problem? The hose clamp is tight and the hose shows no sign of were.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Some people have had to add a second hose clamp to those hoses, especially bikes that had sat (like 'dealer leftover' models that sat on the showroom for a year or two). I suspect the hoses have just hardened or something and don't have a good 'seal'

I would first try to add a second stainless hose clamp, though the better solution would be to replace your hoses. I would also remove the hose clamp and check for cracks or wear underneath the clamp (the clamp itself may be hiding the fault).

·
Registered
61 Posts
So I had the exact same problem you described, but on the front cyl of my 1500. I was wanting to do coolant flush anyway (since it was used and didn’t know history), so I drained the coolant and then removed tank to really get at and see the connection at the cylinder. There was a bunch of sediment in the region where the metal fitting dropped into the cylinder (on mine that metal adaptor seals to cylinder with an o-ring and is held in place with a screw/tang). I adapted a piece of tygon to a Shop Vac and carefully vacuumed the built up sediment in the well at the cylinder. I took the metal piece off the rubber hose also… there was no issue with that part of the seal at the rubber hose, but the o-ring end of the metal adaptor itself was clearly dirty enough to leak easily. The sediment looked like powdery sand, but in the end it exactly matched the sediment that also drained out of the radiator.

I believe that the sediment eventually compromised the o-ring seal of the metal adaptor to the cylinder. After I flushed the system per the service manual, removed the o-ring and washed it and the adaptor, and put everything back together, it was perfect. Not a drop since. In my case the rubber hose and clamp part was fine, it was the o-ring seal of the adaptor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts