Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I started riding at age 55. My first bike was a Honda Sabre 1100. Ok, it's wasn't a Kawi 900, it was a bit bigger. Take your time, get comfortable with it and practice, practice, practice.

If you have engine guards on it, get some of that tube foam rubber insulation (looks like pool noodles) and put it on the engine guards when you are practicing. If you do take a spill, this will help some with preventing scratches on your new toy.
Good advice. We did that for my daughter. BTW - she has a 900 Custom.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought it but I feel like a made a mistake, can I handle this bike as a beginner?
thanks for your opinions and input.
I can highly recommend a couple you tube sites about low speed control of a big bike. Combined with any book by Pat Hahn. This guy is great at getting you to understand what he is saying.
Just go to parking lots and practice short turns u turns and weaving cones. Check it out. You will get relief and relax . Anything that happens slow happens a high speed until you want to talk about sportsbike speeds
Hang loose

·
Registered
2013, Kawasaki, VN900 Custom
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I can highly recommend a couple you tube sites about low speed control of a big bike. Combined with any book by Pat Hahn. This guy is great at getting you to understand what he is saying.
Just go to parking lots and practice short turns u turns and weaving cones. Check it out. You will get relief and relax . Anything that happens slow happens a high speed until you want to talk about sportsbike speeds
Hang loose
Gonna check those out for sure, thanks

·
Registered
2008 Vulcan 900 Custom, Hard Krome exhaust
131 Posts
Also, go to a YouTube channel named "MotoJitsu". This guy has some videos that shaved a ton of time off my learning curve. And I mean a LOT. Well worth every minute.

CMOS

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought it but I feel like a made a mistake, can I handle this bike as a beginner?
Im 56 and back to biking after many many years away and on roads in u.s im on the other side to the side im used to having lived in the u.k all my life. Its a very easy bike to ride and it doesnt have a heap of power at all. Dont let the weight of it scare you as the seat height is low and its very easy to get your feet down. It handles well and is very forgiving i would say its just the right bike to get you started. Ride it enjoy it and take your time. its a very rewarding bike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey, Yeah I should've been, clear size wise it should be fine, 6' fit guy 36 y/o just started riding. yes I Plan to take short trips, it's just winter is long here and I bought and when you have time not riding just waiting you start to question your decision. if I bought it and left with it I would be thinking less and practicing more.
I'm 6", 32 y/o , 218lbs (98 kg), and bought a 06 Vulcan 900b for my first in sept, love it. Put 3K miles on it in the first 56 days, zero regret, but i now wanna fill one intire bay of my 2 car garage with a variety of bikes because I suspect I caught some sort of infection that affects the brain, (constant fleeting thoughts about riding and bikes, even a few about "who needs a car when you have x bikes, i should just sell cars for more bikes" etc) in other words, you're fine. ??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Damnit I typed too fast and didn't proofread
I'm 6", 32 y/o , 218lbs (98 kg), and bought a 06 Vulcan 900b for my first in sept, love it. Put 3K miles on it in the first 56 days, zero regret, but i now wanna fill one intire bay of my 2 car garage with a variety of bikes because I suspect I caught some sort of infection that affects the brain, (constant fleeting thoughts about riding and bikes, even a few about "who needs a car when you have x bikes, i should just sell cars for more bikes" etc) in other words, you're fine. ??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Sounds like an infection i need and certainly want. Thanks for the share

·
Registered
2019 Vulcan 900 Custom
1 Posts
I bought a 2019 Vulcan 900 Custom as my first bike just as I was enrolled in a motorcycle safety course, which I highly recommend new riders do. It's required by law where I live. The bike felt a little over bearing at first, but after a couple of weeks, started to feel really good to ride. It is a heavy bike (615 lbs), but after riding it for over 6000+km, it's just the right size. I'm am really happy now that I didn't buy a smaller bike or a much larger one. I will still need to pass a road test after a year to receive my full licence. Any bigger, the road test would be hard to complete the course for a new rider. IMO, it's a good size bike to learn how to control in residential areas. Riding a bike on the highway, doesn't help much with improving riding skills. I love how all the weight feels low in the frame, which makes turning easier for a heavier bike. It's big enough to 2-up once you feel comfortable, but don't rush it. Hopefully this helps you out.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Agreed, Jason. I got back into riding after 20+ years on an 1100 Yamaha and I'm glad I didn't go any smaller. Like the Vulcans, it had a low center of gravity and weighed roughly the same. After a couple of years I found I was ready for something bigger and traded up to a Nomad. It's a lot heavier and took some getting used to but after riding it for a month I got used to it. I did look at a 1600 when I was shopping for my first ride and I'm glad I didn't get it then. The 900 is an excellent choice because if you go smaller, you'll soon outgrow it and if you decide you want to go bigger later on you'll have a good foundation.

Btw, I'm also in NB.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I bought a 2019 Vulcan 900 Custom as my first bike just as I was enrolled in a motorcycle safety course, which I highly recommend new riders do. It's required by law where I live. The bike felt a little over bearing at first, but after a couple of weeks, started to feel really good to ride. It is a heavy bike (615 lbs), but after riding it for over 6000+km, it's just the right size. I'm am really happy now that I didn't buy a smaller bike or a much larger one. I will still need to pass a road test after a year to receive my full licence. Any bigger, the road test would be hard to complete the course for a new rider. IMO, it's a good size bike to learn how to control in residential areas. Riding a bike on the highway, doesn't help much with improving riding skills. I love how all the weight feels low in the frame, which makes turning easier for a heavier bike. It's big enough to 2-up once you feel comfortable, but don't rush it. Hopefully this helps you out.
Thanks Jason, I am going out a little by little also considering the situation!.. it is definitely a weight to reckon with. but I hope I can get used to it soon or at least by the end of the season... still need to do the road test as well.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Absolutely! This is an easy bike to handle. I would definately recommend it for beginners that like this type of bike. A bit heavy to push around in the garage, a joy to ride! Not dangerously horespowered,but enough to get around safe.
Only thing I would recommend is change the seat to a more comfortable one. Stock seatis ok for shorter rides, but it sucs (at least for me) after 3-4 hours of riding. I got the Dual Tour from Corbin, but there are others as well.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Going to meet up with a couple guys about noon to go riding. They both took the rider course last summer. One got a 750? Honda, now on a 2002 1500 Nomad, the other got a 900 Custom. With the 900, you wont be in a big hurry to upgrade, if you ever do, unlike a smaller bike. Practice on it, and do short rides often, and before long you'll be putting a couple hundred miles on at a time. Respect the bike and smiling a lot will follow.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts