Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2013, Kawasaki, VN900 Custom
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought it but I feel like a made a mistake, can I handle this bike as a beginner?
thanks for your opinions and input.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My 900 was my first bike and while I took a little while to figure out how to maneuver it properly. I'm glad to chose it looking back. It's a great day to day around town bike

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am almost 60 and the 2018 Honda Rebel 500 was my first bike right out of the MSF class, after about a year I got the 2019 Vulcan 900 Custom. The size and forward controls scared me a bit, but I really liked the look of the bike. I got it and have put on almost 3000 miles.

·
Registered
2008 Vulcan 900 Custom, Hard Krome exhaust
131 Posts
Yes indeed it can. I'm proof of this. Just started riding at 55 years old and decided on the Vulcan 900 because I didn't want to buy a bike I would outgrow in 6 months. After 4 months of riding, I'm very happy with this bike. It was a great choice for me. She's and easy bike to ride.

CMOS

·
Registered
90 Posts
And if you ever decide to get into modding the 900 is a great platform because it has been manufactured for so many years without changes

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
I started riding at age 55. My first bike was a Honda Sabre 1100. Ok, it's wasn't a Kawi 900, it was a bit bigger. Take your time, get comfortable with it and practice, practice, practice.

If you have engine guards on it, get some of that tube foam rubber insulation (looks like pool noodles) and put it on the engine guards when you are practicing. If you do take a spill, this will help some with preventing scratches on your new toy.

·
Registered
2010 Vulcan Custom
18 Posts
In my experience the best starter bike is the one You feel the most comfortable on. With that being said, its a good bike. I'm sure if you give it a few months you'll feel better about it.

The good news is with low mileage you wont have any trouble selling it and downgrading to one you feel more comfortable with. But you could be selling it only to re-upgrade a year later.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I bought it but I feel like a made a mistake, can I handle this bike as a beginner?
Well hell, we don't know if you can or can't. Are you 3' 2" tall and weigh 400lbs? When you bowl and throw the ball with your right hand do you hit your left leg with the ball? Can you walk and chew bubble gum at the same time?

Technically we don't know what YOU are capable of.
The VN900 is sold in other countries as an A2 license compliant bike (beginners bike), so technically the bike is right there for a "beginner". If...this...is...your...very...first...bike...EVER, (and you are asking the question and stating that you might have made a mistake...) then I would not recommend the VN900 as the starter bike for YOU, due to its weight and heavy steering. The VN900 can do it, (it's all up to you), but, there are a plethora (i love that word) of bikes out there that are easier to "learn on" then the VN900.

No, I won't list what they are... others here will...

·
Registered
539 Posts
I'm a returning rider, started again after 42 years away from it. After my MSF class, I rented a Suzuki M50 and rode it all day easy at first then bolder. Since I handled that bike ok, I bought my 900 classic LT. Then I practiced at a nearby church to master the low speed skills I was weakest at during the MSF course. After that I went far and wide. So yes, the Vulcan 900 can successfully serve as a first bike or returning bike. It seemed a bit heavy at first, but I quickly got used to it. It's a great bike.

·
Registered
334 Posts
It is hard to say.
Why do you think you might have made a mistake?
What are you having difficulty with?
What is your age/height/weight / inside leg seam length / fitness level?
The handlebars on the custom require more of a reach than the handlebars of the classic. That might be a factor.

On the face of it the bike is fine for a beginner, but that beginner will need to practice, practice, practice all of the slow speed moves. And then practice some more. Starts, stops tight turns, braking, uphill starts. sloped drive or parking lot mounts and dismounts, etc, etc.

·
Registered
2013, Kawasaki, VN900 Custom
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is hard to say.
Why do you think you might have made a mistake?
What are you having difficulty with?
What is your age/height/weight / inside leg seam length / fitness level?
The handlebars on the custom require more of a reach than the handlebars of the classic. That might be a factor.

On the face of it the bike is fine for a beginner, but that beginner will need to practice, practice, practice all of the slow speed moves. And then practice some more. Starts, stops tight turns, braking, uphill starts. sloped drive or parking lot mounts and dismounts, etc, etc.
Hey, Yeah I should've been, clear size wise it should be fine, 6' fit guy 36 y/o just started riding. yes I Plan to take short trips, it's just winter is long here and I bought and when you have time not riding just waiting you start to question your decision. if I bought it and left with it I would be thinking less and practicing more.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I sold my 900 Custom to my 6' 1", 35 yr old son as his first bike. He took the MC Safety Course (which I highly recommend) and a week later we road from Manchester, NY to Baltimore, MD and back. That was about 400 miles each way on a combination of Highways and country roads. I was shocked at how easily he handled the bike. My first bike was a Honda CM185 and I thought the 900 was going to be too much bike for him, but he handled it like a pro.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Vulcan 900 C is my first bike right out of taking the course. I’m 20 and 6’3 I thought it would be a little large for someone like me and the first few rides on it were a bit nerve racking but I’m glad I found this bike...I’m almost a year into riding it and feel confident riding it and know how to handle the back it’s hard to keep me off the bike now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought my VN900C the weekend after my MSF coarse. That was back in May and I've put 8.5k miles on it since. The only issue, I've made a few 500-mile runs that exhaust my legs with the foot pegs so far forward.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't think it'll be a problem at all. If anything, you'll feel it's too small for you very quickly. starting with cruisers isn't like starting with a sportsbike. You're not going to be doing wheelies or dragging your knees anywhere trying to push your and the bikes limits.
the weight could be a bit tough but cruisers carry the weight low so the only time there could be trouble with it is at low speed/walking.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My first bike fresh out of MSF was a brand new 900lb
My very first bike fresh out of MSF was a brand new 900lb Victory Cross Country Tour figuring if I can handle that I can handle anything. After mastering that bike I decided to downsize since I was only taking occasional long distance rides so I decided to buy a new Vulcan 900 Classic LT. Took me a little time to get used to the 300lb lighter weight but now I have fun tossing it around. This is a great beginner bike in my opinion and there's a ton of mods that can be added. Great all around bike for those just starting out or for experienced riders for around town cruising along with the occasional long distance ride. Great bike, good luck & enjoy it!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Unless you are uncomforable with the weight being a newbie, you did NOT make a mistake. The VN900s are the best bikes for the money. We've had 5 of them. Easy as hell to ride. Good balance. Kawi makes nice bikes. And that's coming from an now-Indian rider. Best of luck!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts