Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased VN900classic lt. Have been riding vn750 a drive shaft for last 7 years. The 900 belt noise/whine is irritating...occurs mostly on trailing throttle. Looking for suggestions or confirmation that the noise is normal belt noise. The tension is correct. The bike is 2010 model with 5500 miles.
Thanks,
Wayne

·
Registered
260 Posts
Unfortunately 900s are known for their whines and ticks. Some have said that switching to fully synthetic oil helps with the ticks. I don't think I've seen any fix for the belt whine though. I think it happens on all Vulcan models to some extent - even the bigger ones.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had the same problem when decelerating. I read a post about using paraffin on the sides of the belt and tried it and it instantly worked for me. I used a old candle stub. One person said it lasts a couple thousand miles between applications. Dave

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Be sure and check the tension on the belt also.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Might want to see if it has the old scootworks pulley (aftermarket) on it. They were notorious for whining!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've read elsewhere that adjusting the tension on the belt works (as Forge mentioned). Apparently Kawasaki wants their belts tighter than they need to be? I've seen recommendations to loosen the belt by half a notch. Does that apply to the 900?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Recently purchased VN900classic lt. Have been riding vn750 a drive shaft for last 7 years. The 900 belt noise/whine is irritating...occurs mostly on trailing throttle. Looking for suggestions or confirmation that the noise is normal belt noise. The tension is correct. The bike is 2010 model with 5500 miles.
Thanks,
Wayne
Wayne
Lift up the rear wheel, loosen the rear axle bolt, and back off the axle bolt adjuster lock bolts. Loosen"inward" the belt side left adjuster 1/2 notch and lock adjuster. Now loosen the right side adjuster at least one "inward" notch or more. Start spinning the rear wheel in forward direction. Begin turning the right side adjuster nut inward "pulling the wheel back" causing the belt to move from inner edge to the outer large edge of belt sprocket, when the belt just kisses the outer edge stop and lock every thing down. Use the left adjuster for distance, adjust the right adjuster by watching the belt move from the inner edge to the outer larger edge of the belt sprocket.
My 09 still wines to some degree below 5mph, but by performing the above adjustment from where it was set by the factory it will be quieter.
This worked for me, give it a try.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I cant hear mine whine if it does. PO knocked out a couple of baffles and the bike is LOUD.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Belt whine?

I have had my 07 for almost six years. I have had it all over the SouthEastern USA it has whined, ticked all the way and never missed a beat. I have been in the saddle for 10 hrs in a single day, except for the required breaks, 75 mph and it hangs in there. I wasn't aware the whine at decel was the belt. It sounds like gears to me. Every bike I have ridden in the past 10 yrs, even the HD'S do it. I did have a lot od screaming with the first SW pulley's I bought, but that and the decel whine are different to me.....

·
Registered
847 Posts
Belt whine?

I am not suggesting anything here but the OEM belt spec is awfully tight. I have seen abnormal belt and pulley wear and a few shaft seals leaking. I don't know if this is the reason or not. I have checked with some other mfgs. and they are not as tight. HD is not as tight. I set mine by their spec. makes no sense I guess but my belt was so tight it sounded like tuning a Banjo string. so I went from A flat to B sharp. I like it much better. I was told to do this by a Kawa spec tech. He called me off to the side and suggested it.Don't tell anybody...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts