Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going over my 04 beast and took out the side air filter which looks like the other owner never changed, how am I suppose to get that paper element out? Or have they designed it so you have to buy that filter with the housing? I tried taking those little black screws off the back but that's proved impossible. Thanks

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
This is a picture of a replacement K&N from their web site. This is kind of what the filter will look like when you take it out. The black plastic is part of the "filter" that will come with the new one. There is one screw in the top middle that holds it in once you take the cover off.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
K thanks SWVA you answered my question. In the service manual I have found online it says to take the "chrome" cover off take that 1 screw out and replace the paper filter but they don't mention that its 1 whole piece (housing) like the pic u posted.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I usually get one every season or every other season. But I live in coal country and its very dusty around here.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I got my '06 in Sept. of '10 and like Desert Angel I'd just blow it out with the compressor. I don't know when or if the PO had changed it. I have since, just recently, replaced the air cleaner with a 6" round paper element so it is much easier and cheaper to change now. With the stock set up pulling the air from low between the jugs it shouldn't get a lot of debris anyway, nothing that can't be blown clean with a air nozzle anyhow.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Bought my 09 last year with 3435 miles on it. Drove it home and done the anal tear down inspection of everything. filter looked dirty but not terrible but decided to change it anyhow. Went on line and about crapped my pants at how expensive it was from after market parts places. Any where from $60-$100 Was at the dealership one day looking at luggage rack bags and just for the heck of it had them look up the price of the air filter. $24.99 so I bought one. Moral of story, Sometimes the dealerships aren't rip offs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts