Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on a group ride for the 9-11 memorial, I was a road captain, so I was riding hard. We made a left turn and in about 100 feet, it felt like I wasn’t getting any fuel and my bike just quit. She had power, and would crank, but no start. The fuel pump tested good but I noticed something when removing the hose. After watching several videos on removing the tank, it appeared to me that fuel would not come out of the fuel line if the ignition was off, or, just a little would but it would stop. On mine, the fuel kept pouring. That said, when I cranked her over, the fuel shot out, telling me the pump was working. Could the pump still be bad? What should I check next to diagnose the problem?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Bit late in replying and you've probly already found the problem (if so, let's know) - but if fuel runs out of the pump outlet with the power OFF then there's a problem within the pump.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bit late in replying and you've probly already found the problem (if so, let's know) - but if fuel runs out of the pump outlet with the power OFF then there's a problem within the pump.
I had the feeling but that’s that’s not where my diagnostics lead me. The weak spark is the symptom, replacing the stator(s) and regulator(s) now. Just waiting on the parts. Long story short; that’s another nightmare in itself. Teaching myself to breath through the stress now too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Good luck with that. I think you're on the wrong track tho. Keep us posted. 👍
Thanks for your input and you may be right. I’ve actually talked myself out of “bad fuel” pump every step of the way. So now I have new ignition coils, wires, plugs, stators, regulators, and crank sensors and still no go. FYI: I’m literally learning this stuff as I go and loving it. I also learned after I pulled the covers that this bike has two stators and two regulators, so added another 2 weeks to the process. The kit that I ordered only came with 1 each. So now; fuel pump rebuild kit is on the way. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
71 Posts
You probly saw this already, but....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You probly saw this already, but....

No, I hadn’t seen that, but it’s good info. I have an entire kit coming so I’m looking forward to taking my self to school again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, I hadn’t seen that, but it’s good info. I have an entire kit coming so I’m looking forward to taking my self to school again.
So, the problem was definitely the fuel pump. It was fun learning how to rebuild that and riding my bike home from my office. I did notice that my stereo starting cutting off at louder volume which indicated to me that there wasn’t enough power to drive my 1600 watt amp. Also, while riding back to my shop, I stalled her at a red light and there wasn’t enough juice to restart. My protective side had prepared for this so I had my booster with me. Since I had just replaced the stators, regulator/rectifier and crank sensors, I’m guessing that there is a break in the circuit between the stators and the battery. I didn’t have time to test this so I’ll be running the tests on Saturday. Any tips on where to start?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Start with a volt meter on the battery terminals after charging it, while the engine is running at idle and up to about 3000rpm. :)
So, the after market stators and rectifier/regulators were crap. I reinstalled the originals and the bike is charging great. Now a new challenge arises: When the bike is under a load (going up hill, accelerating, etc.) she wants to bog down. I can’t replicate the problem on purpose like I could with the charging problem so it’s a bit more of a challenge. I pulled the fuel pump out, cleaned and reinstalled and rode her for a bit. When accelerating to pass on the turnpike, she bogged down again so I’m back the drawing board. I’m going to clean injectors and throttle body next: any tips?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Did the pump kit come with a suction screen and pressure regulator? If so, did you fit them? If you did you probably need to a fuel pressure check. That requires the fuel line to be cut so a tee fitting and gauge can be fitted and pressure recorded while riding.

Unlikely to be injectors and Tbody.

The later ZX14 & C14 have another hidden screen inside the plastic body where the fuel exits the pump element before it does a U turn to then be directed thru the outlet pipe. Whether this pump, which is virtually the same as the 2006 ZX14 is the same, I dunno, but a fuel pressure check would be the next move.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did the pump kit come with a suction screen and pressure regulator? If so, did you fit them? If you did you probably need to a fuel pressure check. That requires the fuel line to be cut so a tee fitting and gauge can be fitted and pressure recorded while riding.

The later ZX14 & C14 have another hidden screen inside the plastic body where the fuel exits the pump element before it does a U turn to then be directed thru the outlet pipe. Whether this pump, which is virtually the same as the 2006 ZX14 is the same, I dunno, but a fuel pressure check would be the next move.
the pressure gauges will be delivered today but it’ll be next Saturday before I can check it. IF,the pressure shows low; what next?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

oh, and it did come with the regulator and the filter which fits at the bottom at the intake. Not so sure about any other screens. I’m going to find a blowup drawing and study that for a moment. By the way; I have a he service manual for this bike but it tends to lead one in many different directions. I’ve also got a call into the pump manufacturer for direction on the loud whine in their pump.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If the pressure is low it could be a restricted secondary filter, if it has one. On the ZX and ZG it can be seen when looking into the hole where the fuel enters that housing. On this pump it would probably be where that rubber seal is, but I don't have a pump at hand to check myself. They can be cleaned with an ultrasonic cleaner, so I have been told. So check the pressure and go from there.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ethanol isn't nice to rubber either. If you need a used fuel pump and can't find one for a 1600, search for kawasaki 1400 fuel pump. The early ZX14 is the same except for angle of outlet pipe, just swap that over. Most of the 1400 pumps on ebay show the later flat base pump which is not suitable. You need the early one with the bulge at the base, if it comes to that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ethanol isn't nice to rubber either. If you need a used fuel pump and can't find one for a 1600, search for kawasaki 1400 fuel pump. The early ZX14 is the same except for angle of outlet pipe, just swap that over. Most of the 1400 pumps on ebay show the later flat base pump which is not suitable. You need the early one with the bulge at the base, if it comes to that.
thanks

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.