Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow riders,
I hope someone has some experience with tire size.
In about 6 months I will be in market for replacement tires for my ride. Was wondering if anyone had replaced stock size with wider size tires for front and rear (no mods) and how did it help or affect the bike. Thinking about two sizes up? not sure.

Currently riding on Bridgestone Exedra G722 170/70B 16M/C rear, 130/90-16 M/C 67H front

Thanks for the input in advance

·
Registered
72 Posts
I went with a 180/65 on the rear so I could run a Michelin Commander II and it clears just fine, handles great. I am running the stock width 130 up front. You might could go wider but the 180 is awfully close to the swingarm.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I went with a 180/65 on the rear so I could run a Michelin Commander II and it clears just fine, handles great. I am running the stock width 130 up front. You might could go wider but the 180 is awfully close to the swingarm.
Ahmesa that sounds good. Have you had a chance to ride in wet pavement? if so how did was the handling. I love Michelin tires have them on all my family cars they have been very good to me. I never had them for my bike. I normally try not to ride in rain but if i was sure like to know how they do.

I had to do a quick stop the other day (dry) behind a car that at first was going to push thru a yellow light then decided to stop forcing me to stop fast...and skidded a little. All good but the tires did skid a lot faster then I had anticipated. Hence my research on next tires and more rubber on the ground.

Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes, they are great in the rain. I had the Commander II on my old bike and loved them which is why I specifically wanted that tire on this one. Imagine my annoyance when I learned they don't make it in a 170/70.

Long life and more traction than the bike can use. I can scrape the floorboards easily on either side without the tires complaining. As far as braking is concerned I have tried and never locked up the front when dry. Might happen after I upgrade pads but with stockers it ain't happening. Rear is wonderful although I can lock it up, it takes a LOT to make it happen.

FWIW I also run 36 PSI front and rear which is higher than spec for front and I still have no issues, and it is very nimble.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Also if you are into mounting them yourself, try Ride On balancer and sealant. I have no wheel weights and its smooth as glass.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also if you are into mounting them yourself, try Ride On balancer and sealant. I have no wheel weights and its smooth as glass.
Great stuff, thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I order some Ride On balancer and sealant, I'll add that to the front and back tires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Going wider on the front is going to make the steering "heavier". I went the other way on my Nomad; going from the 150/80 stock size to the 130/90 and was amazed how much easier it steered and how much more responsive it was. I won't go back to the 150/80 size.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Going wider on the front is going to make the steering "heavier". I went the other way on my Nomad; going from the 150/80 stock size to the 130/90 and was amazed how much easier it steered and how much more responsive it was. I won't go back to the 150/80 size.
That is very interesting. Good to know especially when tested first hand from you. thanks for the info.

BTW when you get a chance please share with the forum how to "Living off the government in the hills of Tennessee" I am sure we all would like to know that Fix. :smile2:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I retired from state government after 32 years of service and bought a small house in the country on top of one of the many hills around here. Once a month, I get a small amount of money from state government (pension), and a small amount from the federal government (Social Security).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:smile2: congrats on the retirement, enjoy life and ride my friend.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yeah I'm not sure why the Nomad would have such a huge tire up front. I've scrapped the floorboards on both sides multiple times and am nowhere near the edge of the tread of my 130/90. Why would I need to go wider than that? The quality of the tire will do a lot more to improve traction than going wider will.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the "ride on" stuff, any tips on how many oz to put in each tire?

·
Registered
360 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 15 of 15 Posts