Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a VistaCruise for my 2010 Custom but when I went to install it I found out it won't fit between the grip flange and the throttle housing, nor is there a way to increase this gap because the throttle grip goes inside the housing.

The VistaCruise is about 1/8 to 3/16" thick all around.

Anybody come up with a solution for this?:(

·
Registered
225 Posts
I ran into the same issue. I ended up going with the brake away cruise control. It's a little pricey compared to the vista, but very very nice.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I bought a VistaCruise for my 2010 Custom but when I went to install it I found out it won't fit between the grip flange and the throttle housing, nor is there a way to increase this gap because the throttle grip goes inside the housing.

The VistaCruise is about 1/8 to 3/16" thick all around.

Anybody come up with a solution for this?:(
DarkCruiser, I had exactly the same issue with the grips on my Custom when fitting the Vista. I found that the inner dia. of the Vista collar was between 1 - 2 mm smaller than the outer dia. of the grip flange on my bike.

What I did to make it fit was to 'mill' out the inner dia. of the collar on my drill press using a modified drill bit, I had lying around. It took some time to do, checking by trial and error before it finally fitted, but was worth the effort. It isn't quite hard up against the throttle housing, but a lot closer than if I hadn't done it. I emailed the shop where I got it from about this problem and they just said "install it hard up against the flange" but you obviously know that doesn't look too good. You will also probably have to trim down the fill rubber to fit it over the grips.

I didn't go too deep as was worried about breaking through the locking ring groove on the collar. Being made of high density nylon the material was fairly easy to cut, you just need to take it slow and easy. I'll post a couple of pics to show, it's pretty easy to remove.

Once you have the locking tension set right, the Vista works a treat to ease that aching throttle hand on long freeway runs. It also helps to smooth out "throttle jerks" on rough roads. Hope this helps.

Cheers:D

·
Registered
455 Posts
I put a Vista Cruise on my 08 Classic yesterday. It was used, and a few years old, and had been on a Yami.

Package was marked for Kawi, Yami, Honda, etc.

It fit over the flanged/flared part of the grip very easily. Pushing the rubber spacer in between the grip and the vista took some doing. You can use windex to help it slide in. But, I got it in without liquid help. Used a wide blade screw driver flat side, and worked my way around. Had to cut off a 1/4 inch of the spacer.

I then moved the Mirror Brake Lever housing a little to the left , to fit the other part of the Vista to the bar. Presently, I have the Vista cross piece at "high noon", to put the toggle where I want it. Not as "pretty" or hidden, but....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, however, I think you guys are talking about the one that has the clamp that goes around the bar on the left of the master cylinder and crosses over to the vistacruise near the grip.

I don't have that one, I have just the part that goes near the grip and has a "foot" that goes between the throttle cables. No bar, no clamp and no rubber. I think it is the "universal" model.

I think I may have fingered it out though. Going to go play around with it now. I will need to move the grip itself to the right on the throttle sleeve and enlarge the hole in the Vistacruise unit to grip the enlarged boss that is exposed when the grip is moved.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
455 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I got it to work today. I had to open up the clamping diameter to fit over the throttle sleeve, then I cut off the "foot" that is supposed to go between the throttle cables, then drilled and tapped a 6-32 hole in the side of the throttle housing. A 6-32 screw goes through a hole I drilled in the tab that the "foot" was attached to into the threaded hole in the throttle housing and all is good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts