Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to shoot some video while riding and wondered if anybody has used a helmet camera or mounted an action camera on their bike. Any recommendations for reasonably priced action cams and how you mounted/used them?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have used a gopro knockoff and mounted it on the turn signals bar.... The camera even with the case is very light, so no risk there to damage blinkers.
Unfortunately as with some of those knockoffs the camera broke before I was able to actually record anything :)
I'm getting another one and will mount it in the same place,
BTW... I'm not a fan of helmet mounted cameras so that is out of question for me... but that's just me :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have used a gopro knockoff and mounted it on the turn signals bar.... The camera even with the case is very light, so no risk there to damage blinkers.
Unfortunately as with some of those knockoffs the camera broke before I was able to actually record anything :)
I'm getting another one and will mount it in the same place,
BTW... I'm not a fan of helmet mounted cameras so that is out of question for me... but that's just me :)
I have also been looking at the knock-offs. I also like the recommendation of where you mounted the camera. Let me know if you find a good knock-off.
.E

·
Registered
324 Posts
I picked up one of these action cams for $30. They are on sale for another 5 days or so. @ 1080P 60FPS it gives pretty decent video. It comes with several different mounts and accepts all the Gopro mounts. It has WIFI so you can monitor and control the camera remotely.
And at $30 if it gets destroyed it's not the end of the world. lol

The video looks better before uploading to youtube, they lower the quality/file size, I guess.

This is a good camera to get started with. Make some videos and see if you're interested in spending more $$.

·
Premium Member
1,195 Posts
Ok....I gotta know....How in THEE WORLD did you get your bike off the ground like that??? :serious:

·
Premium Member
1,195 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don’t have it yet but was looking at the Sena Prism Tube. They’re inexpensive and well built.... very simple design to operate without 30 features to decipher or fumble through. $120 on Amazon w/ good reviews.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The SJCAM SJ7 Star is a great choice, it shoots 4k, has stabilization and supports an external microphone. The cost is $169 on amazon. The best value for the money would be the Apeman A80, It shoots an incredible picture and has stabilization. The cost is $56 on amazon and comes with a case and accessories. I would go with 2 Apeman camera's and mount one on my helmet or chest and the other somewhere on my motorcycle. I will leave some links below.

top 5 best budget action camera's. https://youtu.be/j5wRZrhRn_I

Apeman A80 review. https://youtu.be/_WDRBG_5iZg

·
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner
862 Posts
I have been buying and experimenting with action cams for four years now.

There are a lot of GoPro knock offs on the market. Many of them are very good little cameras. I own most of the ones posted in the thread. I own GoPro cameras as well. But you don't need to spend a lot of money.

With the advent of 4K there are now many HD cams out there that have really dropped in price. It' actually difficult to go wrong anymore. Generally you will (should) shoot in 1080p 60/30 fps. You'll want 60 fps if you want slow motion footage. Even 720p, 60 fps is good. So, don't feel that you need to get a 4K camera. Odds are you don't have a monitor to view it in it's native resolution and it's very unlikely that'll you have the software/computer needed to edit 4K.

There are other things to consider:

Camera casing (protection)
Most action cams come with a waterproof housing so this isn't really a problem.

Audio
This I am afraid is another issue entirely. This subject would require a thread all it's own as it's a challenge to collect audio when riding. It can be done, but it's not a straight forward thing.

Mounting
As most action cams come with an array of mounts you really shouldn't have a problem with this. If you don't get the exact mount configuration with your cam you can easily and cheaply obtain what you need. Just check Amazon for 'Action Cam mounts' and you'll be treated to many pages of mounting kits for very cheap. I suggest you stay away from the GoPro mounts as they are pricey and the knockoff stuff is across the board compatible. (If done correctly the cams don't have to look unsightly on your bike. I have three mounted on my bike in my profile pic.)

Editing
There are many free editing apps out there. It all comes down to how in-depth you want to get into editing. The only feature I strongly suggest you look into is removing shakiness. Some cameras have this feature built-in. But it's a fairly common feature in editing as well. Motorcycles vibrate and shake. You probably already knew this.

Helmet Mounting
It is by virtue it's own mounting category. There are some mounts that attach a Action Cam to your helmet. However, you may find them to be a bit...ummm...lets just say they stick out a bit. If you find them acceptable then great! I, however, don't care for them. I bought a drone cam and disassembled it and built my own helmet cam so I could capture footage while riding and still look 'cool'. :) If anyone is interested I would be willing to share my build technique. I recommend you have some tech skills if you try to attempt. (The Helmet cam I made is mounted to my helmet in my profile pic.)

Sorry for the long post, I tried to condense it as much as possible. I'm willing to trade specific info with anyone that asks.

I'll take some pics of where I mount cams on Buffy and the Helmet Cam and post them up later this morning.

·
862 Posts
Pics as promised!
Due to limits I'll need to make additional posts. :-(

Just some angles of a few mounting options I use.

A pic of the Helmet Cam I made mounted on the helmet.

Attachments

·
862 Posts
more pics...

The first couple of pics are a mount set up from various mounting kits. Look closely and you can see part of it contains a ball mount. This allows me to mount a cam anywhere and correct/add any angle I need depending on the mounting location.

The silver aluminum mount I bought as a single mount, i.e., not part of a kit. Nice thing is that it looks very cool if you are looking to keep a cool profile and still mount cameras.

The last pic is another angle of the mount I mention in the next post.

Attachments

·
862 Posts
and..last but not least

There are two pics of the helmet cam I made. It is made from mounting parts from various kits. The camera is 1080p, 60fps Drone/Spy cam. Obviously disassembled and reconfigured. It easily attaches and detaches from the helmet.

The black cam case is aluminum and not waterproof. This allows for external connections and leaves the audio mic open. It is protected behind the windshield so waterproofing isn't necessary.

The clear case is waterproof. Because of this the mic isn't open. But since it mounts in an unprotected area it is necessary to protect the cam. It is a case that came with one of my GoPro knockoffs.

Attachments

·
Registered
580 Posts
I use a Drift Ghost S mounted to a chest mount. It is nice and stable and gives a neat perspective. Here is a link to a short Youtube video I took: https://youtu.be/uMhkZBrl3x4

·
Registered
580 Posts
You can also get an older Garmin Virb XE for fairly cheap which has a bit of stabilization built in. I bought one and plan on testing it out this summer. The Drift Ghost gets you close to 3 hrs battery life. The Garmin is only about 1-1/2 hrs battery life but it has a waterproof power connector so I just plug it in to my 12 volt plug or a small battery pack and it will go all day as long as you have a big enough SD card.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have been buying and experimenting with action cams for four years now.

There are a lot of GoPro knock offs on the market. Many of them are very good little cameras. I own most of the ones posted in the thread. I own GoPro cameras as well. But you don't need to spend a lot of money.

With the advent of 4K there are now many HD cams out there that have really dropped in price. It' actually difficult to go wrong anymore. Generally you will (should) shoot in 1080p 60/30 fps. You'll want 60 fps if you want slow motion footage. Even 720p, 60 fps is good. So, don't feel that you need to get a 4K camera. Odds are you don't have a monitor to view it in it's native resolution and it's very unlikely that'll you have the software/computer needed to edit 4K.

There are other things to consider:

Camera casing (protection)
Most action cams come with a waterproof housing so this isn't really a problem.

Audio
This I am afraid is another issue entirely. This subject would require a thread all it's own as it's a challenge to collect audio when riding. It can be done, but it's not a straight forward thing.

Mounting
As most action cams come with an array of mounts you really shouldn't have a problem with this. If you don't get the exact mount configuration with your cam you can easily and cheaply obtain what you need. Just check Amazon for 'Action Cam mounts' and you'll be treated to many pages of mounting kits for very cheap. I suggest you stay away from the GoPro mounts as they are pricey and the knockoff stuff is across the board compatible. (If done correctly the cams don't have to look unsightly on your bike. I have three mounted on my bike in my profile pic.)

Editing
There are many free editing apps out there. It all comes down to how in-depth you want to get into editing. The only feature I strongly suggest you look into is removing shakiness. Some cameras have this feature built-in. But it's a fairly common feature in editing as well. Motorcycles vibrate and shake. You probably already knew this.

Helmet Mounting
It is by virtue it's own mounting category. There are some mounts that attach a Action Cam to your helmet. However, you may find them to be a bit...ummm...lets just say they stick out a bit. If you find them acceptable then great! I, however, don't care for them. I bought a drone cam and disassembled it and built my own helmet cam so I could capture footage while riding and still look 'cool'. :) If anyone is interested I would be willing to share my build technique. I recommend you have some tech skills if you try to attempt. (The Helmet cam I made is mounted to my helmet in my profile pic.)

Sorry for the long post, I tried to condense it as much as possible. I'm willing to trade specific info with anyone that asks.

I'll take some pics of where I mount cams on Buffy and the Helmet Cam and post them up later this morning.
This is great stuff and I very much appreciate it. I wonder if the admin might make this post a "sticky" for the future.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I'm using the Sena Prism to good effect. I like that it's designed to be side-mounted on a helmet, and doesn't have a large footprint. Battery life could be better, but it can record and charge at the same time; so I can actually connect it to a USB charging port while riding.

·
862 Posts
I'm using the Sena Prism to good effect. I like that it's designed to be side-mounted on a helmet, and doesn't have a large footprint. Battery life could be better, but it can record and charge at the same time; so I can actually connect it to a USB charging port while riding.
I like the Sena prism and the Sena 10C. I already have and use the Sena 20S. I am a huge fan of the Sena system. I wanted a camera system that was integrated with my Intercom system. Unfortunately, it's a replacement for the 20S, but doesn't have all the interconnect features the 20S has. So the 10C would cost a wad of cash for most of what I already have and giving up some of what I do have.

The prism doesn't have the connectivity features to the 20S. However, I almost did buy the Sena prism.

Both the Prism and 10C are side mounted cameras. I was looking for a camera that I could mount centered on my helmet. That's what led my research towards Drone/Spy Cams.

Bottom line; I would definitely recommend either of Sena cams.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts