Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1988 Vulcan 1500A, with 23k on the odometer. She recently had started making the noise documented in the video and I'm worried about running the motor. The oil pressure light is acting normal and doesn't come on while riding, and the noise seems to go away after warmed up. I've had people tell me to check two things: oil pump and the teeth on the starter motor sticking. Everything else seems to act normal except this noise, and I'm worried. Anyone that could give me some insight would be greatly appreciated... I'd rather not just throw parts at it blindly or pay the mechanic $102.75 an hour to tear it down and investigate. Thanks so much!

https://youtu.be/98ucsG1buxY

I hope to god there isn't something catastrophic going on..

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for the reply. I will definitely research this, I remember hearing about these chains on this model before.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the cam chain tensioner was a no go. after replacing both, still remains with the same noise. Possible the starter gear is stuck? I can also hear this same noise, lightly, while cranking.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not starter teeth, not oil pump.

Did you install "extenders" or just new tensioners?
Just the tensioners. Bought a set off of ebay, still trying to figure out how this goes together... do the extenders need to be welded on? I have to plead ignorance on this one. Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...Also, a quick question: we came to this conclusion because while installing the tensioners and adjusting them, the sound or pitch in the noise did not change at all.. they are already farther adjusted out then what the stock ones were...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts