Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
It's a shame. Not my favorite brand but, they were cool to see on the road.

"Failed Attempt" might be a bit harsh to describe a brand that was set to have it's 20th anniversary this year. Their machines won a number of awards, they have a trophy case full of "Cruiser of the Year" and "Bike of the Year" and similar titles from various magazines and; up until the last couple of years, they were a serious threat to Milwaukee, some quarters selling more than the century-old stalwart. I wonder if Indian, huge improvements to the H-D line, and the recent prevalence in premium Japanese touring motorcycles, saw to their demise. Victory represented some pretty cool technological improvements, but then failed to; to my eyes, update or change anything in recent years.

·
Registered
59 Posts

"Failed Attempt" might be a bit harsh to describe a brand that was set to have it's 20th anniversary this year. Their machines won a number of awards, they have a trophy case full of "Cruiser of the Year" and "Bike of the Year" and similar titles from various magazines and; up until the last couple of years, they were a serious threat to Milwaukee, some quarters selling more than the century-old stalwart. I wonder if Indian, huge improvements to the H-D line, and the recent prevalence in premium Japanese touring motorcycles, saw to their demise. Victory represented some pretty cool technological improvements, but then failed to; to my eyes, update or change anything in recent years.
AGREED!

They did have some pretty great accomplishments. But I'd have to also agree their penetration into the industry and market share was not the greatest. Sad to see any bike brand drop off, but business is business.
:crying2:

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I liked a lot of what Victory was doing.

One of the brands downfalls was focusing too much on the "big dog".
They seemed a little like a jealous adolescent. They were always comparing themselves to HD then pointing out every aspect that was "better".
Then making sure their designs were VERY different to HD.
So, it was kinda liked they hated them but wanted to be them.

Of course that wasn't enough of a problem on its own to shut down production; but I think being "different" but not being original was a cause of weak sales.

When noting that Polaris is no longer making motorcycles under the Victory brand name we should note that they are still making Indians.
Which has been increasing sales numbers and market share for the last several years.
With the Victory Octane and the Indian Scout being basically the same bike in 2016. The decision to manufacture and market only one brand probably has more to do with inter-company competition than fiscal "failure".

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I do think a lot of the Victory brand was cannibalized by Indian. There's a crowd out there that wouldn't touch a Harley-Davidson if it was free and came with a mansion on a private island off the west coast (I'm not one of those people; there's almost no motorcycle out there I wouldn't accept and ride happily for free; heck, you can keep the mansion! If I were independently wealthy there'd be a couple of Harley's in my garage; but they've yet to build a bike that's my "first choice", not yet anyway) Some buy metrics but, some got scooped up by Victory's great anti-Harley marketing. Much of it pure bull, but effective. Now there's something that has the styling they want, is comfortably "not Harley", but is still an American-made brand that you can buy all the logo-stitched jackets and novelty neon-light garage clocks you want. Have your cake and eat it too.

Which makes me wonder if Victory was never as genuinely popular as it was. Maybe it's loyal customers were actually willing to jump ship as soon as there was a genuine alternative.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Oh, it's totally harsh. True, but harsh. They failed to produce a profitable motorcycle, they failed to capture much of the American V-Twin market, they failed to do survive. And if you look at the Victory forums, they've shot themselves in the foot when it comes to brand loyalty. But I have no doubt that Polaris is going to concentrate on their copy of the Indian to try to compete now.

It sucks that people are losing jobs, though.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I believe to main factors were , the Slingshot issues put a financial strain on the company , Polaris's lack of market share against their targeted competition after 15 years, and finally the purchase of the Indian name. The Victory and Indian plants are walking distance apart in Spirit Lake ,Iowa.

Polaris decided they have a better chance picking up market share with the Indian badge than there own creation, too bad Victorys were nice bikes, better than that damm Slingshot car thing hogging up bike event space.

At least Victory was a Polaris original , Indian has been past around and defiled for 61 years up to Polaris's 2014 release. Polaris wants you to forget that there was a 61 year gap , they want customers to believe they have been around since 1901 , HA , the last Real Indian was built in 1953.

Ending Victory was a mistake in my book .

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
As I remember, Victory made some very solid, dependable and well performing machines.
But that Arlen Ness styling completely turned my stomach. Hideous. They looked HEAVY!
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but "this" beholder wouldn't buy a Victory if it was priced like a soda.
There was one exception and that was the Cross Country Tour. I could see myself having one of those.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts