Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been drooling over this bike all weekend.

It's only 61 lbs heavier than my VN900 but has way power & TQ. It's also way more expensive at $18k Cdn.

I said I wouldn't ever want to go heavier than what I have now but apparently Victory has kept the centre of gravity low.

Who's ridden this bike with that big fat rear wheel that can comment on it's handling vs a Vulcan 900?

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Who's ridden this bike with that big fat rear wheel that can comment on it's handling vs a Vulcan 900?
I've ridden both my nephews Vix, one arlen ness w/240 and the other kustom krome job w/200 rear.. the motors pull like a tractor and are smooth with plenty top end 6gears.. the 240 wasn't worth dying for as it would not go around corners.. it was long and raked out.
the other with 200 handled muey better but was a skinny little bicht like yor HS girl gave you run for yor money but kicked yor ass when she was thru w/you.. or a sportster with a bigger motor?
I almost bought a judge a few years back. kinda glad I didn't. poncho
but I did buy this one and it is kik fn azz! btw,, MG promo new 14s for 12k USD.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've been looking at those MG Cali 1400. As a brand what are MG like? Reliable? If I ever do get one the issue is there are no dealers here.

Off topic and sorry so PM if you rather or I can start a new thread.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I've been looking at those MG Cali 1400. As a brand what are MG like? Reliable? If I ever do get one the issue is there are no dealers here. Off topic and sorry so PM if you rather or I can start a new thread.
need to go to the otter bike section, JR..? we done hijinxed this thread. poncho

btw, new vix tour/baggers are more comfy riggs.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Honda Stateline is 10K and a 1300 motor... To me it's a 900 Custom on Steroids

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Honda = Bullet Proof = boring.. good stuff.. just boring as all get out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You rather it break? LOL

I never drove the Hammer but I did drive the Judge and almost bought it. Love the look & sound. I think the Hammer would look better with dual discs up front.

Yes that motor is torquey as hell but I found the tranny kinda clunky. Not sure if it was like that because it was brand new.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Didn't even know that existed ... not bad. Looks too much like a Fury though for me and that look's just not me - nice suggestion though and gotta love reliability though I'd miss the V-Twin rumble.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I never drove the Hammer but I did drive the Judge and almost bought it. Love the look & sound. I think the Hammer would look better with dual discs up front.

Yes that motor is torquey as hell but I found the tranny kinda clunky. Not sure if it was like that because it was brand new.
Thx for chiming in ... the tranny clunk I'm already used to :))) but for that kinda coin, ya it s/b smooth.

Did the Judge have the stock exhaust or Victory's x-bow stage 1 exhaust? Seems like the exhaust is a must have from the sound clips I've heard -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGY0l4tg6v4 Finally revs her a bit near the end.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I own a 2007 Hammer. It's the 100ci not a 106 and I think there is something different about the frame of the newer vics, maybe steel vs alluminum in some parts, don't remember. I have never ridden a vn900, only sat on one, and surprisingly enough, simply from the size perspective, the bikes seemed very similar. When it comes to power, I can only speak for the Vic. I really like the victory engines. They like to rev and make tons of power in the upper rpm range. Low end power is more than adequate, but it's not like the Yamaha 1900 or Kawi 1700 engines where power comes low and strong, but doesn't pull any harder as you go up in the rpms. The hammer is a muscle bike, so it's not uber comfortable. I take mine on day trips up to 300 miles, but any more would be way too painful. I could change the seat and add bags and a windshield, but then I'd ruin the beauty of this bike, so I just can't get myself to do it. Handling takes getting use to as the wide rear tire needs you to approach riding a little differently, but once you get use to it, it's actually very stable and confidence inspiring. There's a lot of rubber back there :D The lean angle isn't the best on this bike, you scrape pegs if you ride hard in turns, however, I am a moderate rider, so I don't have those issues often. I enjoy coming out of turns hard, just feeling the power.

I'd say its worth swapping your VN900 for the hammer if you like to run the bike pretty hard, enjoy the power, mostly around town and backroads, and like to have something unique to bring to bike nights or just own in general. Mine is burnt orange in color and I can't take it anywhere... poeple wave, honk, won't leave me alone at gas stations. Personally, I think it's time for something borring. lol! thought I shoudn't pretend like I don't enjoy the attention ;-)

If you don't do any of the above and prefer smooth cruising at calmer pace, need storage or plan to ride 2up, then this bike will not be comfy enough, especially for longer distances.

This bike is a monster meant to really enjoy every ride!

... and it's funny, I actually am thinking about swapping mine for that Guzzi California 1400 or a VN1700. Those bikes seem sporty enough, yet look more comfortable than my hammer. I haven't settled on a next bike, but after 4 years of owning the hammer, I am ready to move to something else, mainly because I'm doing more longer distance cruising and sight seeing than "joy riding". When my Hammer goes, I will never forget the amazing times I had with it. Just comes down to where you are with your current riding priorities.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Got a pic of your Vic Hammer? I as well have a 2012 Vstrom. :)
The vstrom is a superb scoot. Does nearly anything you ask it to, as you probably already know ;). That's my go to bike for all remote travel now. I really do enjoy cruisers too though, so I'll always have at least one cruiser in my stable.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mine looks exactly like this one. I can't seem to find a pic of my bike at the moment. Must be on my home computer.
That's a better orange that was on the Judge I drove. The Judge had a flat kinda paint. That Hammer is awesome looking.

You can say I like orange on bikes. lol

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
The vstrom is a superb scoot. Does nearly anything you ask it to, as you probably already know ;). That's my go to bike for all remote travel now. I really do enjoy cruisers too though, so I'll always have at least one cruiser in my stable.
md, had 04 zooki sv1k nekid, was the BEST motor bike ever. a real canyon carver. but not an all day long distance bike..
I finally found its replacement.. mg v14 cali

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Spocks Ride: That's a really cool pic of the vstrom. I guess you did that with Panorama view on an iphone.

Well, as long as we're posting vstrom pix... (and appologies to the OP, I don't mean to derail this thread.)

Main reason I love the strom is it takes me places I would normally not take my hammer or any other cruiser for that matter.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
md, had 04 zooki sv1k nekid, was the BEST motor bike ever. a real canyon carver. but not an all day long distance bike..
I finally found its replacement.. mg v14 cali
Darn.. what a gorgeous bike! Now you have to give us the good, bad and the ugly about the Cal 14. How tall are you and how well does it fit out of the box? (I'm 6ft) What's the longest you can ride before each stop?

I have heard engine heat causes calfs to burn, is that true or does riding with tall boots solve that issue?

I thought I was gonna buy s VN1700, still might, but... darn this guzzi...

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
have alredy hijinxed this thread nuff.. mite best move over to this section Elvis..er JR? will do more explunk'nation ther.. poncho

1 - 20 of 36 Posts