Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One week ago, I traded the 9 on my new 2011 Cross Roads. They gave me a good deal, and I took it. I was a little sad to see the trusty 9 go...she was my first new bike, and I got to ride a lot of great road on her. BUT...well, she did everything adequately, but for type of riding I've found I enjoy, the frustrations of limited cargo, power, and long-ride comfort were beginning to rub.

Sadly, I haven't gotten to take the Vic on any "fun" rides yet. 1 week and nearly 1000 miles have mostly been "here-to-there" rides. They're fun in their own way, I guess, but I haven't really had the chance to ride it somewhere for the sake of riding it here. Hoping to sneak in a ride to Mt. Harrison or even Stanley this weekend.

This bike's a slab-eating monster. It'll do 90 all day with my wife on the back and all of the much-vaunted "21 gallons of hard-bag storage" filled to the brim and still average near 40 MPG. It eats miles of freeway like the 900 never could, because the Vic's built for it and the 9 just wasn't. The windshield is about 2 inches too short; it's got some adjustment left in it, but I haven't got around to monkeying with it yet. But short or no, it's a blessing. All day on the road and not a single bug in the face. I can finally graduate to a 3/4 helmet and not feel like I'm trapped in diving bell.

Despite its increased weight, width, and length (tho not increased by much) the bike is no effort to handle in town, altho I find myself accidentally taking up a whole parking space and not leaving room for the wife's Shadow lol

Where the Vulcan's power delivery was always super-smooth, the Vic rips your face right off. All of a sudden the torque is just THERE. Which, honestly, how I like it :D. The one downside is, as an air-cooled motor, city-riding in 80 degree temps (as we experienced here earlier this week) can be a little uncomfortable. Not bad, but noticeable. I'd say about like the 9 felt when the cooling fat kicked on at a stoplight...except all the time lol. The wife complains of the heat off the pipes on her feet, but since she's got her own scoot, she mostly gets told to gut it out.

Now, why did I choose this over a Nomad or Vaquero? Reason 1 (20% of the consideration): the general gripes of the 1700's ECM issues and poor fuel mileage, and the complaints of the excessive heat made the liquid-vs-air-cooled-issue a moot point. Also, I don't like Kawi's side-load bags. Reason 2 (80% of the consideration): with issues like engine heat, performance, and price tag running neck and neck (Kawi was a little cheaper, Vic was a little more powerful), it came down to which one got MY motor running...and that was the Cross Roads. I like the looks of the Vaquero, but the frame-mounted fairing puts me off a bit, and the Nomad looks like my 9 on 'roids. The Victory, to me, is a work of design-department art.

That was the reasoning for choosing THIS bike. But why did I trade at all, when the 9 had done me well? Well, I'm gonna share some info with you guys, not for sympathy or pity or anything, but because this is a good forum and I feel comfortable enough to share.

On April 11, I was diagnosed with stage II Hodgkin's lymphoma, subtype nodular sclerosis. My prognosis is very positive, I'm young and relatively healthy, and my oncologist is confident I'll respond well to treatment. Chemotherapy starts Monday and is every 15 days for a total of 8 treatments.

I'm sharing this because my riding season has taken a huge hit. Hopefully I'll feel well enough to work (docs think I will) and therefore well enough to ride, but if not, I'll be skulking around here seeing what you guys are doing. So take lots of pictures and share lots of stories.

So why did I buy a bike I may not be able to ride? Because when the opportunity came along, I had 2 weeks to enjoy it. right now, I feel that if you can make your dream a reality, you should. If I'm too sick to ride, I can look at that bike and fight that much harder so I can get back out on the road. And if I feel decent at all, I'm gonna strongarm that bike out onto the road and take it for a ride.

Thanks for you time, guys, and I'll be seeing you all in the weeks to come. Remember, pics and stories and good rides! Enjoy 'em all, you never know when things will suddenly change.

Attachments

·
Registered
641 Posts
Great looking bike. Glad you're enjoying it.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Luci, welcome to the world of big MOTOR bikes.. Rip yor face off! That's a good one:D

ps. Rotate that pic 4 us thx, ponch
Lol it'd prolly be easier if you rotated your head, ponch. I'll try when I get access to a PC.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Very nice. Congratulations. A guy I work and ride with has one of those he got after totaling his 1700. He got the optional trunk configuration -that's pretty cool 'cause he can remove it and put it on only when he needs it. He is very happy with it.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I rotate this iPad and then GE pic rotates on me. So irotatevthe iPad further an sure nuff the pic keeps goin sideways. So I try to trik it by rotating it the other way.. Rats!
Too much technowizardry, Ponch.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice. Congratulations. A guy I work and ride with has one of those he got after totaling his 1700. He got the optional trunk configuration -that's pretty cool 'cause he can remove it and put it on only when he needs it. He is very happy with it.
lol yeah, I discovered about 10 minutes ago that my sissy bar/luggage rack is quick-release. pretty cool!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I rotate this iPad and then the pic rotates on me. So i rotate the iPad further an sure nuff the pic keeps goin sideways. So I try to trik it by rotating it the other way.. Rats!
ROFL Maybe if you get up enough speed you can trick it?

·
Registered
702 Posts
IPad

I rotate this iPad and then the pic rotates on me. So i rotate the iPad further an sure nuff the pic keeps goin sideways. So I try to trik it by rotating it the other way.. Rats!
Ponch, to keep the picture from doing cartwheels slide the little lock/unlock button by the volume control so you don't go cross-eyed on us!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
moar pix!

took a few more pics on our ride to Redfish Lake yesterday. These were taken on the south side of Galena Summit on our way home. except the first one, that was at a rest stop outside Stanley.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Beautiful bike Luci!

I went to test a Cross Country a little while back, all they had available was the Vision. That 106 pulled like a champ! I wish there was a better dealer network in my area.
Anyway, congratualtions and good luck! Keep posting, and let us know how that Vic handles the miles!:)

Scott

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Love the new bike; hate to hear your reason to buy (inspiration to get well); wish you the best health possible. I went into a Yamaha/Victory dealer to look at helmets yesterday and saw the special edition Cross Roads. Nice. It's growing on me.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Beautiful bike, Luci! Wishing you all the best on your health.
I bought my 900 after I found out I had thyroid cancer; picked it up 3 days before they took my thyroid out. First bike I've had in almost 40 years. Thyroid cancer is a lot less scary than lymphoma, but it reminded me that win, lose, or draw I wouldn't be living forever and if I wanted to get any riding done I'd best be getting started.
I had to wait a few weeks after the operation... came out of the hospital with instructions not to lift more than 10 pounds. It was worth the wait. I'm loving riding again after so long!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
whenever you go into one of these places is like walkin into a nudie bar, jus bes to keep lookin at the top of yor shoes while work yor way over to he parts dept. same goes for on yor way out. Thems perty bikes is like nekid wimmins, jus after yor money!
Best damn money I've agreed to spend for the next five years :D. Fortunately I've swung for the fences...not really any place to go unless Vic gets a wild hair in the next couple years and decides a 112 CI motor will boost sales.

Beautiful bike, Luci! Wishing you all the best on your health.
I bought my 900 after I found out I had thyroid cancer; picked it up 3 days before they took my thyroid out. First bike I've had in almost 40 years. Thyroid cancer is a lot less scary than lymphoma, but it reminded me that win, lose, or draw I wouldn't be living forever and if I wanted to get any riding done I'd best be getting started.
I had to wait a few weeks after the operation... came out of the hospital with instructions not to lift more than 10 pounds. It was worth the wait. I'm loving riding again after so long!
thanks for the support RiR. Hodgkin's is one of those cancers where, if you gotta have one, this is one to pick. Long as my anti-nausea meds do the trick, this is just another speed bump in the road. I had surgery for my port implant last thursday and took the above-documented ride 2 days later. that's how I roll XD

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Bro, I'm both envious and not... but you've got this bald dude's encouragement and prayer to power through so *I* can live vicariously through you and YOUR stories and YOUR pics and YOUR rides on the Victory I crave. ;) Your attitude is in the right place, so I know you'll make it!

BEAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTIFUL new ride man, congrats! By next summer, perhaps we'll troll this place and chatter on the Victory forums. :D

·
Registered
498 Posts
Nice looking bikes you have. Having lost my mother two years ago to lymphoma I wish you the best. I know personally what a toll it takes on family and the body. She was 57 when We lost her way too young. God bless.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Nice looking bike, the Victoy is definitely on my list of bikes I would consider next time I am shopping. Said a prayer for you for your recovery, my son is RECOVERING from cancer and that chemo can sure through you and your family for a loop!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Mom died a couple of years ago right around the time we found out my wife of 23 years had breast cancer with a great prognosis but rounds of chemo and radiation. We are Christians but it did rock my world.

I have always wanted a bike. The time was right. Last August purchased Honda 750 but totaled it over a month ago at 5mph. Took insurance money and bought 2007 900 custom.

My bike is for "me" time and much of it is spent praying and thanking God for a cancer free wife and the blessings He has given. My kids, my health, and many other things.

I acknowledge that life is short but there is more... and take every opportunity to learn because I will take this knowledge with me.

·
Registered
346 Posts
One week ago, I traded the 9 on my new 2011 Cross Roads.... On April 11, I was diagnosed with stage II Hodgkin's lymphoma, subtype nodular sclerosis........So why did I buy a bike I may not be able to ride? Because .... right now, I feel that if you can make your dream a reality, you should. If I'm too sick to ride, I can look at that bike and fight that much harder so I can get back out on the road. And if I feel decent at all, I'm gonna strongarm that bike out onto the road and take it for a ride.
Dude, The Vic is beautiful, but your optimism and will to fight far outshines it.

God Bless, and here's a toast to you :drink: and prayers that you'll someday trade the cross roads in on a 2020 model year, and beyond.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
took a few more pics on our ride to Redfish Lake yesterday. These were taken on the south side of Galena Summit on our way home. except the first one, that was at a rest stop outside Stanley.
I like that bike!

Good luck with the Lymphoma....my sister-in-law was diagnosed two years ago.....she beat it....and feels WONDERFUL now!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts