Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 vn 900 with 5000 mile. I just replace both tires and now I get a vibration at 15 mph. It doesn't matter if I pull in the clutch and coast throw it use the front brake or the back brake it is still there I can feel it mostly in the left foot peg. I have tried adjusting belt and still no difference has anyone had this problem before.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Same problem

I have a 2011 vn 900 with 5000 mile. I just replace both tires and now I get a vibration at 15 mph. It doesn't matter if I pull in the clutch and coast throw it use the front brake or the back brake it is still there I can feel it mostly in the left foot peg. I have tried adjusting belt and still no difference has anyone had this problem before.
I have the EXACT same thing, right at 15mph. Happened right after I changed the tires. I took it back to the dealer and they say they can't feel it and it is nothing to worry about.

I now have 6,000 miles on those tires and the vibration is less noticeable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the EXACT same problem I was at the dealer 3 times but they say its normal and it may be the engine brake or something. Did you ever get it fixed and how?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Which tires did you get? It could be a characteristic of the tread design for that tire that it vibrates at 15 mph. Also, what air pressure do you run in your tires? If you put in what Kawasaki says you should, your tires will be quite under inflated and subject to such vibration. Check the wall of the tires for the manufacturer's recommended cold air inflation value. It will result in a slightly firmer ride but the handling will be improved, the tire will roll smoother, and the tread life will be extended.

And by the way, that is the standard cop out at a dealership, that they don't feel it, or "can't duplicate problem." You know it's there and have to deal with it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for replying.....
I bought Michelin Commanders and had the Kawasaki dealer install them. Im not sure of the air pressure but i will definitely look now. One guy from the dealer said that he felt it but it is the engine brake. I didnt think there was an engine brake. Both my atv and my truck have an engine brake and i sure can feel them pretty good. At any rate, he said its just the engine so then i told him i can feel it exactly the same in neutral while coasting so he takes it for another ride but now all of a sudden he doesn't feel it.
The guys are really nice there but i know what i feel and its very noticeable. I dont want anything for free but i also dont want to pay premium dealership dollars and they blow me off because they cant figure it out.
So whatever happened to your bike? Was it ever resolved?

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
I got commander II's about a month ago. Shop recommended, 38 front, 42 rear, add 2 lbs air each for highway use and that's what I have them at. smooth as glass.

Kaw service manual recommends 28 front and rear for the classic.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Forget the "engine brake." That falls in the category of muffler grease and such nonsense. These engines have no "brake," however there is some braking effect when you let off the throttle and coast. But that won't cause a vibration at just 15 mph. The dealer is just using that as a cop out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
curious if anyoe ever found anything with this issue. my brand new 900 has a very weird low speed wobble around 10mph or less when im coming to a stop. runs and rides fine at higher speed and everywhere else and at all speeds

1 - 11 of 11 Posts