Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so...bought my bike (2006 Vulcan 900 Classic) last week...finally took it on the highway today.

i was reading about putting scootworks pulley on the bike...anyways...

holy cow...i felt like I was pushing the bike to the limits at 80 mph (GPS says 73 mph) and up. Vibration on right side mirror was redonkulous...might just have to tighten it up more cause left side mirror was not vibrating. But entire bike was vibrating quite a bit...definitely felt it.

I understand the pulley would fix some of this (as mentioned by lots of reviews in the scootworks pulley thread).

But, any other options?? And I upgraded from a Vulcan 500 and don't remember feeling like the 500 was struggling this much at high end speeds. Of course it has a 6th gear so that was helping.

Thoughts please??? Any other options instead of pulley changes? I understand 80 mph+ is not a great idea...but, on freeways around Chicagoland where speed limits approach 65/70mph...you'll get run off the road trying to ride 70mph. :)

Do the Customs exhibit same behavior? I understand they are a little more sporty in Architecture.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I can run at 110mph on the speedo so about 100 with no vibration whatsoever, sounds like something is out of line or tires are worn to me.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I can run 80 with a little butt buzz, but no mirror vibration. If road surface is okay, check for rear wheel out of line, tire inflation and tire condition.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can run 80 with a little butt buzz, but no mirror vibration. If road surface is okay, check for rear wheel out of line, tire inflation and tire condition.
thanks for the quick replies...okay:

Front tire depth: 5 mm, still lots of life
Rear tire depth: 3 - 4 mm, almost time

I tried to look at hash marks but both were pretty close...it's sitting on 3rd line if you start counting from front of bike to back.

But if measuring end of screw to nut....right side from end of screw to nut is 16mm and left side from end of screw to nut is 17mm...so, it's off a litte??

Oh, good thing I checked...cause Axle nut doesn't even have a cotter pin inside of it...last owners couldn't tighten it enough to get a clear hole both sides for cotter pin...so, going to have my local motorcycle mechanic just give it a good look over. Uggh!!!
so, the pulley stuff only helps with RPM's, not so much vibration issue.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Customs run the same but changing to a 200 tire gives about the same relief as a pulley change.

When I first took the Custom on the highway the high RPM's were disconcerting but once you get used to it, you will find it to be no problem at all. It is a matter of perception that the bike cannot handle it, but it can. Mine smoothed out after I got about 5k on it.

You may want to check the balance on the tires at a local shop. I had tires changed just before my 3,000 mile trip to Mt. Rushmore. The day before I left I found wheel weights sitting under the bike on the garage floor. They were the "stick on" kind and did not hold. Took it back and they used the clamp on style. No problems now.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Customs run the same but changing to a 200 tire gives about the same relief as a pulley change.

When I first took the Custom on the highway the high RPM's were disconcerting but once you get used to it, you will find it to be no problem at all. .
Bluecruiser...so instead of 180/70 15" tires...you're suggesting 200/70 15" tires? Would this change to 200 tires:

1. make the speedo more accurate?
2. any other adjustments to make since I would be changing to 200 width tires?

any specific recommended tire?

·
Registered
441 Posts
The vibration or buzz that a lot of owners mention seemed to have worked itself out for me with miles on the bike. Could also have been the fact that I changed tires around 6000 miles too. As far as tires go I can't say enough good about the Pirelli MT66's. Everything that the Dunslops weren't the MT66 are. They handle great all the time and that includes wet, dry, and grooved pavement as well as steel bridges.

As far as over drive pulleys go, for me they are not really necessary. If I was traveling the highway at 70 - 75 mph I could see getting one. Not because I am worried about the engine running in a higher RPM but only because if I tend to run that fast all the time T'Pol gets a bit thirsty.

I have not ridden an EN500 but I have owned an EN450 (454 LTD). Sweet little bike and it too had a 6 speed. Unlike the 500's the 454 has a tach and the RPM difference between 5th and 6th is less than 500 RPM. It's not the the VN1700's with 6th gear where you don't need until 70+mph.

To me the speedo being inaccurate is not that big of deal. I cruise with traffic. What would concern me is attempting to make the speedo accurate and then throwing off the odometer. To each their own. Now I know some might think that the speedo and odo are equally off but that is not the case. The odo is within 2%, it has to be by law.

In closing, if you are having that bad of vibration have your tires checked closely. If you go the way of the Pirelli you will not go wrong. I have used them on 2 bikes and it was worth it. Do what you want with the overdrive pulley or tire size. All in all I think you will benefit the most with more meat in the back.

·
Registered
441 Posts
High rpm

Oh one thing I forgot to mention. The 60mph cruise PRM on the 454 was 5900 in 6th gear. That motor was just a buzzin'. The day before I sold her I took it out for a spin and I was shifting that engine at red line, 10,500. At 85 mph it was spinning at 9000. I can imagine that the EN500 is close to that. Inline engines though are often much smoother in the RPM ranges.

The VN750 was also very smooth and I know it has to cruise at a higher RPM than the 900. If I recall the 750 cruised at 60 around 4000. You could really twist the throttle on the 750. Above 3500 it came on very strong, really fun to ride. Actually both the 454 and 750 were a blast to ride.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yes the speedo will be more accurate but not dead on. A change to the Metzeler 200/70 15" tire brought my speedo with in 2-3 mph of being accurate comparing to my GPS. You can upgrade to the 200/70 15" tire with no problems at all.

You cannot however upgrade to the 200/70 15" tire and use the Scootworks front pulley at the same time. The larger tire fills in the gap to the fender a bit better which is noticeable on the Custom.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
okay bluecruiser...ya convinced me...i'll spend the extra cash on the 200 sized tires! think i just need to switch out rears cause mm's are on service limits as it is.

Yes the speedo will be more accurate but not dead on. A change to the Metzeler 200/70 15" tire brought my speedo with in 2-3 mph of being accurate comparing to my GPS. You can upgrade to the 200/70 15" tire with no problems at all.

You cannot however upgrade to the 200/70 15" tire and use the Scootworks front pulley at the same time. The larger tire fills in the gap to the fender a bit better which is noticeable on the Custom.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I find that on my custom the vibration comes and goes. It has never been bad enough that my mirrors were vibrating and it was never unbearable. It may constantly be there, but sometimes I just do not notice it.... Also, I found that by putting on the kuryakn Iso Flame grips, the vibration in the handlebars reduced significantly. Kuryakyn also makes weighted grip ends for thier iso grips, and I have heard that the extra weight at the end of the bars really lessened the vibration, more so than just the grips alone. Just a thought.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Too bad the Pirelli MT66's don't have a 200.
so, was reading another post on this forum and found out that...downsizing width of tire (and increasing height of sidewall) has very similar effect of upsizing width...

ended up buying Pirelli MT 66's 170/80-15 tires...will not drop RPM's as much as the Metzeler 200/70-15 tires...but, will drop RPM's more than stock 180/70-15's...and will yield more accurate speedo too!!

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7832&highlight=buy+tires

Tire____________170/80-15___180/70-15___200/70-15
Sidewall Height____5.35________4.96________5.51
Section Width_____6.69________7.09________7.87
Overall Diameter___25.71______24.92_______26.02
Circumference_____80.77______78.29_______81.76
Revs per mile_____784.49_____809.27_____774.99

Tire Comparator Link:
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos#row1

·
Registered
109 Posts
Went to Metzeler ME880's last weekend and couldn't be happier. OEM Dunlop's only had 3000 miles on them but I was beginning to feel more vibration in the grips and the bike felt "looser", not quite as positive as when new. I went with the 200/70-15 for the rear and also bumped up the front to the 90/90-21, no problems with fitment of either one. Vibration is gone, ride seems quite a bit smoother especially at speed. And I'd say handling is even sharper than when new. A lot of my observations are subjective, no doubt. But you get what you pay for or less and replacement Dunlops cost about half of what the ME880's did. I'd say there's a real reason why from my first week riding on the ME880's.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have said it before and I will say it again. If I knew then what I know now OR if I were to buy another 900 from a dealer, new or used, I would not take delivery of it with the OE Dunlops. For me they would have to have the Pirellis.

Although I have heard good things about the Metz too.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have said it before and I will say it again. If I knew then what I know now OR if I were to buy another 900 from a dealer, new or used, I would not take delivery of it with the OE Dunlops. For me they would have to have the Pirellis.

Although I have heard good things about the Metz too.
yup, ended up buying the Pirelli's in different than stock size...bought 170/80-15...will report back on how I think they perform, etc... Very excited!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts