Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Nomad 1500 fi
I have a strange vibration after hitting bumps in the road while riding.
It is like an after shock and you can really feel it in the bars.
I have new steering head bearings and they are adjusted properly, no looseness and fresh fork oil.
I just can't figure out where the little shimmy comes from.
I have tried adjusting tire pressure higher and lower with no difference.
Anyone have any ideas for what I could look at next?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I used to have a 2002 Vulcan nomad 1500 fuel injection I took it to every dealer I could in town and was told all the exact same thing that the Vulcan nomad’s are known for handlebar vibration. But that’s just my experience on this topic I have a 99 Vulcan classic 1500 and I still have a vibration in the handlebars when I hit bumps. From what I know it’s a common thing that can’t be fixed

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that's disheartening. I've owned a few bikes over the past 40 years and although none have been this big, none ever had this kind of feel to them.
I was hoping for a different answer.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Back in 2006 when I rode my bike to San Diego the first time, I had the tires changed just before I left. For 1400 miles, every time I'd lean into a curve, epecially to the right, I'd get a metallic rubbing/scraping sound, but it ran fine and handled fine. I didn;t see anything wrong, so I pressed on. Once I got to San Diego, 2 and half days later, I stopped into a motorcycle repair shop and told them my problem. One of the mechanics looked it over for a few minutes and then he said "Ah! Here's your problem." Turns out the shop back home forgot to put the axle nut back on the front axle, so the only thing holding the front wheel on was the pinch bolt on the fork. When I would lean over to the right, the fork would spead a little and the axle rubbed on the wheel. My mind flashed back to flying down San Bernardino grade on I-15 at 85 MPH trying to keep up with traffic and I realized how things could have ended up much differently. I made a hot phone call back to the local shop and they were beside themselves, and gave me a free oil change and servicing when I got back home.

The point is, you may have a simple probem but aren't seeing it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sounds pretty scary. Glad it turned out ok.
This is exactly what I am looking for, is a tip on what I may be overlooking or just not seeing or even haven't considered.
I'll look into all thoughts on this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts