Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thankfully I have two Vulcan 900's to compare vibrations.

This raises concern that something is aging, causing the vibration, or quality control seems to be hit-miss.

-Dads: 2007 Vulcan 900 Classic w/ 1500 miles - Mint
Vibration is very minimal and seems to start a bit after 70 MPH on highway, or if you choose to rev it up significantly in each gear. Clearly the vibration is coming from engine and not from transmission or driveline.

-Mine: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic w/ 11,874 miles - Good but not mint.
Vibration is more pronounced if over reved thru the gears. Mine starts at 60 MPH it seems. 55 - 58 is the sweet spot, after which it becomes noticable in the floorboards, but more so in the handlebars. It is very un-nerving, and you tend to resist holding it there. I am not sure why this one does it more.

What are your thoughts, does the motor mounts age and is there rubber in them? Are the engine balanced be different workers and maybe they are not all the same? Or is there somthing in the engine that ages / wears that causes this?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
The tires and wheels balancing may be more accurate on the 2007 than with the 2006 . . while revving through the gears is mentioned the vibration difference is noted as being road speed related.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I use balancing beads and find there is very little vibration until I get over 70mph and even then it is not bad. I have 17K+ miles on the odometer.
WB

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I may be on to something. My belt is too tight, and the vibration is more than B4. I will re tension the belt and see if this changes things.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Fordiesel69 not sure what you mean by over revving? These bikes have a rev limiter on them, that and they level off on making more power about a 1000 rpm before that. Max HP around 5800 +/- depending on setup.

Your possible over tight belt would put more of a strain on things increasing or amplifing the bikes harmonics.

Just my .02

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tires. Your 06 with 12000 miles has different tires than stock.
It does indeed have new tires. Seller just had a rear put on which is how belt was too tight, then I also made it too tight. I just fixed the tension to reflect all my other bikes by feel. It was 2x tighter than my others. Thankfully I did not drive it much.

·
Registered
673 Posts
It does indeed have new tires. Seller just had a rear put on which is how belt was too tight, then I also made it too tight. I just fixed the tension to reflect all my other bikes by feel. It was 2x tighter than my others. Thankfully I did not drive it much.
So did the looser belt solve your issues?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It improved considerably. To the point it is a non issue. I can goto 70 and from then on it becomes a problem from an ergonomic standpoint. Not to mention the sound the engine makes if you exceed 70.

I still think there is something additional that either occurs from age, or maybe manufacturing variances that make some vibrate more than others. Mine certainly has a little extra "buzz" that my dads does not have.

·
Registered
673 Posts
It improved considerably. To the point it is a non issue. I can goto 70 and from then on it becomes a problem from an ergonomic standpoint. Not to mention the sound the engine makes if you exceed 70.

I still think there is something additional that either occurs from age, or maybe manufacturing variances that make some vibrate more than others. Mine certainly has a little extra "buzz" that my dads does not have.
Good to hear on it resolving your issue.
I can't hear my engine at most speeds, because of my pipes:crying2::devil2:

I hear you about different machines off the same assembly line being different.Kind of like siblings:grin2:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Interesting that the "buzz" on the '07 is less than on your '06 and the difference may be due to manufacturing variances and you and Rider 50 suggest. I have no complaints about vibration with my '07 - what I note is due to engine firing impulses which become more apparent at higher speeds as the engine works harder to achieve those speeds. Good to hear that your belt tension adjustment has resolved most of the issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I up dated my exhaust mount with a exhaust isolated hanger and some bushings. The vibration is much less at crusing 70+. Only when I’m under power I get the original vibration.

·
Registered
295 Posts
One area overlooked by all but serious tuners is throttle body balancing the VN900. Throttle Body Balance is not called for in the owners manual or the Service Manual. You have to know what you are doing yourself, or have it done for you. The airbleed screws as well as the vacuum caps are there.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Ivan's flash. Vibration is negligible, even at 160km/h. I just got it done with original exhaust, but changed to a CobraFlo airbox......worth every penny. It truly is a different, better bike.
I never got the bike to 160km/h before....it still had some more left and I have a full batwing fairing! It was not that easy to get that fast before, vibrations and such...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ivan's flash. Vibration is negligible, even at 160km/h. I just got it done with original exhaust, but changed to a CobraFlo airbox......worth every penny. It truly is a different, better bike.
I never got the bike to 160km/h before....it still had some more left and I have a full batwing fairing! It was not that easy to get that fast before, vibrations and such...

What do you think the Ivan's Flash did to reduce the vibrations?

CMOS

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
It pulls out the factory limited stops on fuel air mixture (as well as alot of things). The motorcycle seems like its not working so hard at those speeds. The bike is faster. Runs cooler.
Guys have done the flash with no upgrades, and noticed a huge difference. To flash it properly he needs to know if you installed any, or plan on it; aftermarket exaust and airbox. It's not cheap. But I have not found anyone who has done it regret it. And I researched it for six months. With my research, i figured the airbox and flash would be enough, since I hate loud exhaust. Absolutely unbelievable difference. Call him and talk to him. I don't need the "sixth gear" anymore.
And it cost me a lot more to do it from Canada......

·
Registered
46 Posts
It pulls out the factory limited stops on fuel air mixture (as well as alot of things). The motorcycle seems like its not working so hard at those speeds. The bike is faster. Runs cooler.
Guys have done the flash with no upgrades, and noticed a huge difference. To flash it properly he needs to know if you installed any, or plan on it; aftermarket exaust and airbox. It's not cheap. But I have not found anyone who has done it regret it. And I researched it for six months. With my research, i figured the airbox and flash would be enough, since I hate loud exhaust. Absolutely unbelievable difference. Call him and talk to him. I don't need the "sixth gear" anymore.
And it cost me a lot more to do it from Canada......
That's exactly what I have been reading about Ivan's. When I do get a bike, Ivan's will be at the top of my list.

Thanks for the reply.

CMOS

1 - 17 of 17 Posts