Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So anyone that has done the big 3 mods, have you noticed an increase in vibes at highway speeds? My buddy has an '07 with cobra pipes and I feel like his bike is buzzier than mine at high RPMs and my bike is bone stock.

If your bike did become buzzier, did you do the barons/scootworks overdrive pulley to overcome this?

Thanks!

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
Probably just more noticeable now that it is louder, in my opinion. The 900 is known to have the buzzy vibration feeling even stock. Bothers some but not all. And yes I also have the Big 3 stage 1 installed, and both O.D. pulleys. The pulleys were to reduce the RPMs and correct the speedo issue.

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
Big difference in my opinion. She settles right in and cruises on down the highway. I don't even consider 5th gear until I am at or over 50mph now. You will lose a little of the snappiness on take off, but I am usually 2up and loaded as well. It's a cruiser not a crotch rocket anyways.

And you don't necessarily need both pulleys. A lot of guys just do the front pulley and try the larger 170/80 rear tire when the time comes to get a new tire. I just went for it and wanted to stay stock on the tires. Also if you do go with the pulleys, I recommend the Barons brand over the Scootworks brand.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I planned on getting the barons over the scootworks anyway. By the sounds of your post, you did both front and rear, right?

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
I have all three done as well, although I'm not sure what fuel processor I have as it was installed by the previous owner and only just found it a couple a weeks ago (I didn't think there was one and that worried me so I looked for one and found it when I changed my battery). As far as vibration goes, I don't notice any vibration until I get to the 90-100 mph range, but that could be road and turbulence vibrations vs engine vibration, or a combination of the 2. Either way it's not bad at normal speeds, if at all. NOTHING compared to the HD Heritage Softail that I rode 2 summers ago. That thing vibrated no matter what speed. Just sayin.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I notices when I didn't have my fueling set correctly that things were significantly buzzier than when the Air/Fuel was correct. However even with it correct its more buzzy. Its more everything. You cant add 20% power to something and not expect it to come alive. That's my 2 cents. Check the fueling, if he's not using an auto tuner its probably not the best it could be.

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
Wasn't so bad for me either, just didn't like high rpms revs. But for the wife she felt it pretty bad on the passenger pegs. No cushion in those at all. Netter boards and the pulleys remedied that, along with the big 3 as well.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
I decided to go and look and see what processor I have on the bike and it is indeed a PowerCommander V. Although I don't have (at least that I know of) the auto tuner thing. I also don't know what to do with it, if it was set up correctly, or what. Bike runs great and gets 48-55 mpg depending on how I ride it so I'm not complaining :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the PC V on my bike as well, along with the Autotune module. It was on my bike when I bought it as well, so the only comparison I have is riding one my friends bone stock 900 custom. I actually found his bike to be a bit more 'buzzy' at interstate speeds, and the felt power and throttle response very different. He rode my bike and upon us swapping back stated that he was going to get on the internet and look for the best prices on the mods I have. I know the 900 isn't a monster on power with every conceivable mod installed, but there is no denying the riding experience difference with the performance increase. That being said, I don't know if the Autotune module is the difference, as it adjusts the Fuel/Air ratio all the time, so that may be what smooths mine out a bit. What Darkarcher described I haven't had to deal with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts