Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are more than a few of us in this forum that spend time in other forums as well. For example, I also spend a bit of time in a Star Motorcycle forum (because I also have a Virago). Just recently one of the moderators there that lives in Texas presented this article because in Texas, May is Motorcycle Awareness month. Its too bad that not all states do this (my own Washington state does not unless I've managed to miss everything about it every year).

It takes a bit of time to look through it completely but the article does break down information on fatalities state-by-state. There are interesting points to ponder.

So, with their site moderators knowing that I am spreading this information amongst other forums, here you go, below. At the end of the day, we're all motorcyclists and it doesn't matter what brand bike you ride. Safety is safety and dead is dead.

I assure you that you'll find something in this article that will get your attention:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.ghsa.org/sites/default/files/2018-05/ghsa_motorcyclists18.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjrxa-0t_vhAhXMo54KHc84AzQQFjAAegQIBRAC&usg=AOvVaw1IETzgG2AnSdPAlmTwVtmD&cshid=1556751633517

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I clicked on that google link and the picture on the 1st page shows a guy wearing full-face helmet, gloves, jacket, and I am impressed with his protective gear, I particularly like his orange jacket, where can I get one like that? That jacket looks like he would stand out and be seen. I have a Joe Rocket jacket but it's black.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Very interesting! One in four deaths involved an alcohol-impaired motorcyclist!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes, interesting read. The 25% of crashes involving an alcohol-impaired motorcyclist especially -- I often assumed it was "alcohol-related" meaning the car driver was usually the one impaired, since so many moto deaths are the fault of distracted car drivers or "I didn't see them."

Good to remember. For several years I've had a zero-drinks on the motorcycle rule, but recently in the interest of riding more have considered taking the bike to meet folks for "one drink" and then waiting a while before riding home. Still not a good idea. I read an article a while ago that stated even when you feel totally sober after a drink or two, your body, reaction time, and your judgment is still impaired for hours afterwards. One time I went and had a single PBR, rode home 2 hours later, and found myself doing stupid stuff like cranking it open all the way down a back street. Even though I felt 100% sober, it's not something I would normally do.

VN750Guy**: Sometimes I consider moving out that way. Motorcycle is my primary (only) vehicle. How is motorcycling in WA generally throughout the year? What part are you in? Do you get rained out often? Maybe there's a thread where you talk about this.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As far as motorcycling out here it depends on both the weather and what type of scenery you prefer to ride in. Western Washington is like a completely different environment from Eastern Washington. Western is very green and wet for at least half of the year. I was hoping to get out with a couple of forum buddies to ride some this coming up weekend but the rain seems to be set-in for the duration. It'll be July (second half) before the rain is pretty much over for good.

But Eastern Washington is different. Its a desert-type environment with really nice wild west vistas to see. Some areas look like places where John Wayne might pop over the horizon as if in an old western movie. There are volcanoes, big dams, miles and miles of openness, the Great Columbia River.

Between the two are the Cascade mountains with their own beauty to behold. It takes me almost two hours from my house to get to White Pass in the mountains when going over to eastern Washington. Nice ride all the way. Once past White Pass (going east) the land changes to reflect the difference in rain it gets. You definitely know you've left the western half of the state. I've often wondered why the state doesn't break up into two states since the two sides have very little in common.

But...……… riding here is simply very seasonal. If you are in Western Washington and don't mind riding in the rain then you're ok, I guess. Once it gets cold though you're trapped in Western Washington because you'll not be going over the passes on a bike. At all. Period. You CAN go south on I-5 into Portland and then east on I-84 along the south side of the Columbia but winter here, regardless, can be fairly to down-right treacherous. Some winters sees practically no snow and some are pretty heavy. This past winter saw some really heavy snow here. You'd need 4 wheels for sure. See my pic below taken from my house in the Puyallup/Fredrickson area east of Tacoma.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts