Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving my work truck behind a group of 8 riders on I-8 west of Gila Bend. All of a sudden there was mayhem! There was black smoke, bikes were skidding, sliding and doing defensive driving maneuvers all over the interstate. I stopped to check on the group. The story went a Harley had lost all power at 75mph. The rider directly behind him ran into the rear of the disabled bike. All riders stayed upright but it was very ugly and could have been very bad. All this to say don't ride so close to the guy infront of you.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I was driving my work truck behind a group of 8 riders on I-8 west of Gila Bend. All of a sudden there was mayhem! There was black smoke, bikes were skidding, sliding and doing defensive driving maneuvers all over the interstate. I stopped to check on the group. The story went a Harley had lost all power at 75mph. The rider directly behind him ran into the rear of the disabled bike. All riders stayed upright but it was very ugly and could have been very bad. All this to say don't ride so close to the guy infront of you.
Wow!

That's why the staggered riding format is so important. Plenty of room to the guy in front of you, and still close together. I see so few groups able to do this though. There are a LOT of riders out there who cannot hold a line well enough to stay in a staggered formation.

In a situation like this (Realizing it's really hard to 'think' when you don't really know what's going on), it might be wise to lightly grab the brake, just enough to light up your brake lights!

The group I ride with rides staggered and rides it well. We've had animals jump out, cars pull out, we've had the whole group locked up without anyone 'trading paint' or going down. It CAN be done!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts