Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my National Cycle Deflector idea did not work for my Custom I am now looking at heated gear. Not a electrical engineer and not sure if the 9 would handle these well.

Liner:
http://www.ventureheat.com/p-419-12v-heated-jacket-liner.aspx

Gloves:
http://www.ventureheat.com/p-330-12v-heated-motorcycle-gloves.aspx

It is a nice setup as the gloves plug into the liner.

I don't have any other powered gizmos on the bike other than a a powerpoint for the GPS which I have yet to use.

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Heated gear

Your bike will power this no problem. I use a heated vest, and grip warmers, heat feels good on cold mornings. It will allow you to ride longer, I've had some rides before heated gear and damn near froze.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heated Gear

Hi,

Thanks for the info. With all the stator problems listed in the forum I am quite careful with the battery.:)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update Review

Got the heated gear yesterday and installed today. Install is relatively simple but made a little more difficult for me. Already had a Kuryakyn powerpoint and leads for the battery tender. As such there are now 3 things connected to the terminals.

At first I had trouble putting the screw back in for the positive terminal as I discovered the square nut moved around. Was initially concerned that the added thickness of all the ring terminals would reduce the length of screw thread available to connect properly to nut. Worried possible thread damage to nut and not being able to put back together. Good luck prevailed though and with a flat head screw driver could move the square nut into place. Screwed back nice and tight.

The negative terminal was a bit easier as the screw was larger and the connecting nut did not move around.

The hardest part was getting that piece of plastic which holds the tool kit back into place.

Like that post about the coolant change even a small job can be difficult. :)

Now on to the review of the Venture Heat Jacket liner and gloves. After putting everything back together started bike up and then connected jacket and gloves. Almost immediately the jacket got hot. Took awhile for the lights to come on on the temperature controller and was concerned. But they did come on and it is easy to change temperature. Gloves easily connected and contrary to some reviews I found that the gloves temperature can be controlled independently of the Jacket Liner by pressing the pad on the gloves.

I can't imagine anybody needing the jacket at full temperature unless you are at the North Pole.:D With the heat I don't think you will need anything else for layers and the liner easily fits underneath my First Gear riding jacket.

Fitment.

Fit: Gloves fit...well like a glove. Sizing is pretty exact. I measured the diameter of my hand of 8 to 8.5 and got the medium gloves for that size. Although the gloves fit perfectly... with the diameter of my Kuryakyn grips it is a little bit of stretch for my fingers to the levers. I attribute this to the newness of the gloves and expect them to stretch a little as they wear.

Jacket: Have a 37 inch chest and got the small jacket liner which is a 39" chest and waist. Almost exactly an inch of give. Does have stretchable sides.

Preferable to get the sizing right as Venture Heat has a 20% restocking fee on returns which I feel is significant. :eek:

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Thanks for the write up. I'm looking to extend my riding season with heated gear this ear and appreciate your taking them time to tell us about you gear. Let us know how when they hold up and how well they work out in the real world!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the write up. I'm looking to extend my riding season with heated gear this ear and appreciate your taking them time to tell us about you gear. Let us know how when they hold up and how well they work out in the real world!
Bear,

I got a chance to use them this morning. Temp was about 48 and I used the High setting below the Max setting. Very comfortable. Almost too warm at a stop but at freeway speed it really helped. Realized though that the controller was outputting the voltage to the gloves at the High setting so for maximum glove heat I put the gloves at High. Liner easily folded up for the saddlebag as the temp got to 71 in the afternoon.

Problem with fall is. No matter which jacket you have it is the wrong one:D

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Thanks!

Bear,

I got a chance to use them this morning. Temp was about 48 and I used the High setting below the Max setting. Very comfortable. Almost too warm at a stop but at freeway speed it really helped. Realized though that the controller was outputting the voltage to the gloves at the High setting so for maximum glove heat I put the gloves at High. Liner easily folded up for the saddlebag as the temp got to 71 in the afternoon.

Problem with fall is. No matter which jacket you have it is the wrong one:D
So, 1st, Thanks for the update. 2nd, do I understand you when you said "Realized though that the controller was outputting the voltage to the gloves at the High setting so for maximum glove heat I put the gloves at High." That the vest controller takes priority in controlling the heat regardless of what the gloves are set on? If so, I wonder if there is a "work around".

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So, 1st, Thanks for the update. 2nd, do I understand you when you said "Realized though that the controller was outputting the voltage to the gloves at the High setting so for maximum glove heat I put the gloves at High." That the vest controller takes priority in controlling the heat regardless of what the gloves are set on? If so, I wonder if there is a "work around".
That's what I think. Cannot prove it though. Only work around would be using a splitter from the source directly to the gloves. But then you would have additional cords running through the jacket sleeves.

Each item does come with connecting cords and ring terminal cord to the battery. Gloves of course come with a Y split cable.

One thing I wish I had known at the time at order is that you can power the clothes through a pigtail connector if you already have a battery tender cable but they say you need to use a 10 amp fuse. They offer the converter SAE cable. http://www.ventureheat.com/p-35-sae-accessory-cable.aspx Would consider but don't want the additional expense and go through another install.

Check the Venture Heat site to see everything that comes with the items.

http://www.ventureheat.com/default.aspx

That said the gloves have a thick Thinsulate layer, then the heating element, then a soft liner. Gloves are windproof and waterproof. Quite sure they will hold up in colder weather.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts