1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I'm not familiar with that brand, but those prices are great. From my experience in the tire biz, here's what I can say:

cheap isn't necessarily bad. Any highway-use-approved tire in the US has to meet DOT spec. Which means it SHOULD be fine if you follow pressure and loading specifications. Typically tires that cheap come from a buyout, where a major manufacturer has acquired a smaller company and rebranded their facilities. They'll blow out remaining stock to clear warehouse space.

What you'll see with an inexpensive tire is usually less thorough (engineering-wise) tread design (no full-depth siping, outdated lug/groove pattern, etc), and rubber compounds that are scientifically less advanced that what you'd see in say, a Metzler or an Avon. Basically, they're probably gonna wear fast, and not necessarily because they're made of softer rubber. But at $150 bucks a tire, hell...it almost doesn't matter.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not familiar with that brand, but those prices are great. From my experience in the tire biz, here's what I can say:

cheap isn't necessarily bad. Any highway-use-approved tire in the US has to meet DOT spec. Which means it SHOULD be fine if you follow pressure and loading specifications. Typically tires that cheap come from a buyout, where a major manufacturer has acquired a smaller company and rebranded their facilities. They'll blow out remaining stock to clear warehouse space.

What you'll see with an inexpensive tire is usually less thorough (engineering-wise) tread design (no full-depth siping, outdated lug/groove pattern, etc), and rubber compounds that are scientifically less advanced that what you'd see in say, a Metzler or an Avon. Basically, they're probably gonna wear fast, and not necessarily because they're made of softer rubber. But at $150 bucks a tire, hell...it almost doesn't matter.
I've done a little research and found that Vee Rubber is out of Thailand and have been around for a while.

http://www.veerubber.co.th/

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I'd be careful, if using oversized tire sizes, to make sure that it will hold it's shape like the Metz or Avon too. The Metz 200 has very little leeway between the tire and fender guard, but it doesn't swell or increase circumference at speed like some tires do.

Heckuva nice price though!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Yeah very cheap but like in most cases you get what you pay for. It may be DOT cert but who knows how sticky they are in wet conditions.

A year ago I was a little down on green and in need of new tires for my cager I stoped at one of those tire repair shops and bought some off brand new tires for $200 mounted, balanced and tax included (good years were $400). Things seemed fine untill the rainy season came a couple of months later and a long story short not only did they sucked on wet tracktion, they worn out at 20k when they're suppost to last 50k. Lesson learned and back to Good Year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts