Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Left northeast TN for southwest MS, got around Ft. Payne,AL on I-59, the wife pulled up alongside in her new green Camaro and pulled me over. Seems the Vee Rubber rear tire was COMING APART @ 80 mph !! Not a good thing. The entire center patch of tread was separating from the carcass. I limped the rest of the way home, making for a very long ride. Replaced it with a ME 880 (but no wide whitewall). Vee sent another free sample, will throw it on after the ME 880 wears out in appx 7,000 miles.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Yikes is right! Not the review I was hoping for as my bike regularly sees 80+ and hauls my daughter, although not at the same time. Glad I held off on ordering.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I am still trying to figure out the attraction of the Vee Rubber product. Its a white wall ok that looks good but its a Bias ply H rated tire. The V2K was designed with Radials that have a V performance rating. Not knocking there product just trying to figure out why people are putting them on the V2K that it clearly isn't rated for.
Glad you caught yours in time Mark, and bad things didn't happen.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"H" and "V" are speed ratings, yes? If so, isn't the Vee Rubber "H" tire designed to run 130? My bike has never seen 130, at least not with the Vee tire. I don't think that's the issue here. Or is it?

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
The H and V are speed rating but not just in the sense of top speed. Speed ratings are very misunderstood because they are actually performance ratings to include the cornering force and braking force that the vehicle can put on a tire not just the top speed. The V2K was designed for the V rating not the H because of its weight and the forces that it can create in a hard corner or brake. I struggle with this at work a lot trying to educate customers that its not just about going fast bust how a tire looses its shape and grip under hard braking its more of a safety thing that top speed thing. The most popular example is the Toyota Camry ( I know a car not a bike) 4 cylinder H rated 6 cylinder V rated both have speed limiter at same speed but V6 model has larger brakes and sway bar which put a lot more force on the tire in a hard brake or quick maneuver.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
then wouldn't it be a load rating issue?
Load is the 2 or 3 numbers before the letter. 79V is the proper rating for the V2K.
The Vee Rubber tire is rated at 79H. Based on that they can both carry the same weight the difference being speed. That speed is a determination of force not actual mph so it freaks me out to have a lower rated tire on my car let alone my bike. During Michelin training it was unbelievable to see how a tire deforms under braking load its pretty wild.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
"Proper" according to what/who's standards?
The vehicle manufacturer. They know the forces and loads that can be put on a tire by their vehicle and designate a specific rated product for safe operation.
I guess that is part I don't understand why somebody would use a different than OE specified product that does not meet the original specs. Is it just a money thing or is there more to it. I do not claim to be an engineer or designer and so I guess that's why I use only the OE approved or better rated products on all my vehicles.
I manage a complete auto repair center including mechanical, paint/body, tires, and glass we work on everything from a Ninja 250 to a multimillion dollar motor coach. Dealing with insurance adjusters and accident investigators these type questions come up on a regular basis so I am looking for some insight. Some insurance and customers are very particular about these things some could care less as long as the ride rolls down the road. I get caught in the middle sometime because as a repair facility I can only use an OE supplied or approved product or I m in hot water if anything goes wrong.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
The owners manual and/or tire placard on the vehicle state the required tire size and service description. It list only what they approved because that is what they have tested and determined to be correct. By omitting any other size or rating they are no endorsing or condoning its use. By not listing anything else they are removed from liability if you use anything else and it fails.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's exactly what I'm trying to determine. The Vee tire is the correct size, unlike the larger tires a lot of V2K guys are running. Service description? If Kaw doesn't test and determine another tire to be correct does not equate to it NOT being usable, does it?

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
The service description is 97V any tire rated 96 or lower or a letter before V is not designed to handle the weight and performance of the V2K. Will it fit yes, will it hold up probably, but when equipped with a lesser grade tire the bike can not perform as designed. Most motorcycles have one tire designation and no other options listed unlike cars. Many cars can be equipped with different size and performance rated tires but they also spread the load on 4 not 2 tires so there is more fitment options. I guess because I deal with insurance and legal issues on a regular basis I am more sensitive to using only a specified product. I always go back to my Michelin training watching an H rated tire sidewall crinkle like a drag radial launching during a braking test then watching the same tire in a H rating stand tall and stop quick. We never know what tires have or have not been tested by a manufacturer that makes them decide a certain rated tire is required. I will say though that more and more tire manufacturers are building tires to the vehicle manufacturers specs instead of just grabbing one off the shelf so to speak because it fits.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The purpose of sending the tire was to try it out in real world conditions on a V2K, which I did. I will admit it not only "fit," but it handled just as well as the ME880 riding both 1 up and 2 up, in the twisties and on the straightaways. No complaints. Maybe this was a fluke, a one-of-a-kind incident. I will try the 2nd tire provided, watching it a LOT more closely for separation.

·
Registered
659 Posts
After reading through this thread and shopping for bike tires I was looking more closely at bias vs radial ply tires. After looking, I noticed you can't get a 150/80-16 in a Metzeler ME 880 which is a popular VN2000 tire. I've put 12K miles on mine since I picked it up and it was on there when I got it and I've not had any ill effects on it. It's not seen 130 but it has seen triple digits on more than one occasion. But I do like the idea of a rear, deeper tread tire, on the front.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
After reading through this thread and shopping for bike tires I was looking more closely at bias vs radial ply tires. After looking, I noticed you can't get a 150/80-16 in a Metzeler ME 880 which is a popular VN2000 tire. I've put 12K miles on mine since I picked it up and it was on there when I got it and I've not had any ill effects on it. It's not seen 130 but it has seen triple digits on more than one occasion. But I do like the idea of a rear, deeper tread tire, on the front.
Yeah you can. They make a few options for a 150/80/16. This is what Dennis Kirk caries in that size for the 880's

https://www.denniskirk.com/metzeler/tires-motorcycle-and-dirt-bike/2:80-126:9930-95:5649-86:4000001.attrs

·
Registered
659 Posts
Sorry, yeah you're right what I meant was you can't get a ME880 front radial tire, they're bias ply fronts in that size. If I had to pull the trigger right now it's looking like Bridgestone Exedra Max's from Bikebandit would win. Maybe a Exedra G702 on the front.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Well, I was wrong again. Just clicked your link and Dennis Kirk lists it as radial while Bike Bandit lists it as bias. I guess I'll have to read my sidewall to see what I have.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts