Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My buddy has an Vaquero.
When he rides at 70 mph, all is OK, he can even take the hands out from the handlebar, the bike is running straight, with no issue. But if he increase the speed to about 80 mph, the bike starts to wobble. It’s not a front wheel wobble, it’s a complete bike wobble.
The bike started to do this, since he changed the tires (both tires). The tires are balanced.
Did somebody experienced such thing ?
Thanks
Marcel

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem not solved ..
After doing some research ... it is not wobble, it is weaving !! And is a known phenomenon, specialy for big bikes.
The wheels were balanced again, but no improvement.
Next step is to try the the beads balancing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Don't rule out the tires. My new metzeler front tire caused a hell of a wobble. Hands-on the bars, wobble started around 35 and with both hands on would wobble up to around 50....couldn't even consider riding with only one hand or checking decel wobble with no hands. To be clear, I have had good luck with Metzeler on multiple bikes in the past so I disregarded logic and thought my problem was elsewhere....perhaps the newer stem bearings loosened up or a rear end problem. Well, after a good bit of unnecessary work redoing the stem bearings, rebuilding front
suspension, adjusting rear suspension & checking alignment of everything turned out the new front tire was the problem. New michelin and can ride hands free for miles.

If the you are positive the tires are good - Check stem & suspension adjustments. The 1700's suspension is soft from the factory and if the rear shocks are pumped up a good bit but the forks haven't had any love (springs/spacers) the attitude of the chassis (front/rear weight bias) could be less than ideal. Raising the rear and/or dropping the front makes it steer quicker but the resulting changes rake & trail numbers tends to induce stability problems at higher speeds.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, probably you are right. Thank you for your input.

The problem started after changing the tires to Avon Cobra. In addition to this, I have another friend with an VN1600 => he has the same problem of weaving after changing the tires to Avon !!!!!! I could not believe ..... (Weaving, not wobble)

Our plan is :

1. try the balancing beads => easy to do. If no effect :
2. change tires

I will post here to keep you updated.

·
Registered
64 Posts
A bottle of airsoft from Walmart is 8oz. According to the dynabeads chart you need about 2oz for the front stock tire so 1/4 of the bottle. Divide in half then half again. I have a 195/60 car tire on the back. Chart says 3oz so half of what is left. Make sure you DON'T get the biodegradable beads. The only downside to the airsoft beads is you have to break the bead and put them in via the side since they won't fit in the stem.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A bottle of airsoft from Walmart is 8oz. According to the dynabeads chart you need about 2oz for the front stock tire so 1/4 of the bottle. Divide in half then half again. I have a 195/60 car tire on the back. Chart says 3oz so half of what is left. Make sure you DON'T get the biodegradable beads. The only downside to the airsoft beads is you have to break the bead and put them in via the side since they won't fit in the stem.

Thanks, will do so.

·
Registered
64 Posts
By the way, I looked at my bottle and it doesn't say 8oz. It says 2000 bbs at .12gm.

.12x2000=240gm=8.466oz...close enough

1 - 12 of 12 Posts