Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using a PCV & Autotune combo that also connected the 'speed' sensor to the bike? I'm curious if you have seen any real advantage after the fact. If so, care to share where you tapped into the bike for the output?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Old Bear,
I connected to the speed sensor and then calibrated the gear position sensor. You have to calibrate the speed sensor first. I have the PCV with fuel and ignition. This allowed me to have a separate A/F Ratio table, Fuel Table and Ignition Table for each gear. Sounds like a lot to keep up with but I started with the same A/F Ratio and Ignition Table for each gear. You can load a known Fuel Table or start with a Zero Table. The autotune will make Trim adjustments for the Fuel Tables for each gear. You can choose to accept or not. What I'm working on now is leaning out the A/F Ratio table for 5 and 6th gear in the 5-20% throttle column from 1,750 - 3,000 RPM to see if I can bump up the fuel mileage in the cruise range. If I can help let me know.

Frank

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, I need LOTS of help! I'm trying to wrap my head around this installation.

First, I ended up with the 17-006 model, my fault for not paying attention to details! Too bad they don't sell a model upgrade, as I'm not seeing a difference other than the firmware.

How and to what wires on the Vaquero did you connect for the sensors? I'm puzzled by the instructions that say the shifter inputs (input 1 or 2) are for the Quickshifter. Then it says the speed sensor is used to calculate gear position. Frankly, this makes no sense to me. In third gear I can cover nearly the entire legal speed range, so I'm not understanding how a speed sensor by itself can be used to determine gear!

The User Guide I downloaded suggests that because I changed the tire size with the Commander II tires, I should recalibrate. Have you done this?

I would like to have the PCV be aware of gear position, as I also want to have 5th and especially 6th gear stretch that fuel out. I'll take all the help I can get!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Old Bear,
I did this on a Voyager but I imagine it will be the same on a Vaquero. I believe the 17-006 is just Fuel and does not have the Ignition adjustment capabilities. I put my bike on a lift and with my laptop connected went through the process of setting the speed sensor. Had the better half assist me while I kept the speed at a constant level. It is recommended to do this on a dyno for more accuracy but I did not have that option. Once the speed sensor was set I put the bike in first gear, held the throttle steady and set first gear. Follow the same process for 2nd through 6th gear. I did not do anything with the Quickshift. I will have to look tomorrow to see what wires I connected into.

Frank

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Frank! There is a local dyno shop that works with PCV, I'll have to ask what they would charge for a calibration. With the Autotune, there should be no need to pay for a full dynotune, which they quoted at $200.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Old Bear,
Couple of pics that will hopefully help. Connection from PCV (3rd hole from right) to the light green wire with red stripe.

Frank

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Frank - yes, that helps a lot! So it is only one wire, fantastic. Just for the sake of knowledge, what signal does the wire carry? To me, the only way this could work is that it signals what the gear position is, not speed. Additionally, are there sources for any instructional or tutorial files you can point me to?

Yes, at the end of the year, you should be able to deduct me from your taxes ...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Old Bear,
You obviously have to connect the PCV and Auto tune but that is straight forward based on the suppliied instructions. I used a shop manual to find the wire for the sensor. Have you attached the O2 sensor yet?

Frsnk

·
Registered
138 Posts
thanks for the pics combat 72
another tho are you running a single o2 sensor or one for each cylinder
i have pcv 5 with ign and auto tune but only single sensor as i have vance and hine pro pipe
i have it running good now but had to limit the amount of adjustment the auto tune did from _+ 20 to _+ 5 as it keeps pulling fuel in the higher speeds but when you come back to take off again its too lean and flat spots ,so thinking gear settings would suit a better mix

·
Registered
192 Posts
Cannonballs,
I'm running a single O2 sensor. I did the same thing, dropped the trim adjustment down to 5%. The Autotune does make different adjustments for each gear. I noticed that the more trim adjustments I make the more the performance seems to decrease. To the point now I only accept the adjustments in the 5%-20% throttle position for 5th and 6th gear. Zero the others out before accepting the trim levels. Saved a backup map just in case.

Frank

·
Registered
138 Posts
Cannonballs,
I'm running a single O2 sensor. I did the same thing, dropped the trim adjustment down to 5%. The Autotune does make different adjustments for each gear. I noticed that the more trim adjustments I make the more the performance seems to decrease. To the point now I only accept the adjustments in the 5%-20% throttle position for 5th and 6th gear. Zero the others out before accepting the trim levels. Saved a backup map just in case.

Frank
thanks ill work out how i will lift the bike to set the gear selector and give it a go
you could aslo then set a better a/f ratio for 6th gear im currently running 13.2 for lower percenage throttle and 14.2 for higher seems good so far and good fuel economy
just did 315km on 18 litres of fuel ,2 up and a mix of roads and speeds from 50kmh to 120kmh

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Old Bear,
You obviously have to connect the PCV and Auto tune but that is straight forward based on the suppliied instructions. I used a shop manual to find the wire for the sensor. Have you attached the O2 sensor yet?
Frsnk
I guess I could have stated that better! Yup, I know all the "standard" wires and connectors have to be hooked up. My "only one wire" comment was directed at how much wiring was involved in adding tables for the gears.

I haven't hooked anything up yet. This is my commute transportation, so any projects have to be either done over a weekend (usually just have Sunday available) or I have to do the project in steps over multiple weekends. My plan is to get the O2 sensor installed first. That obviously isn't going to do anything until everything else is installed, but that is the one thing that does park the bike until it is finished!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I installed my O2 sensor bung right after the cross over pipe. While I had the exhaust off I took the opportunity to paint it with VHT paint and then wrapped it with header wrap. Can tell a different heat wise. Good luck with it.

Frank

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Okay, this isn't good. I have tapped into the green/red stripe wire that runs to the plug where the other PCV wires run to. I do not see another green/red stripe wire. I am getting zero output on speed. As I directly soldered to the wire, I know I have a good connection. Suggestions, advice?
-------------
Never mind! I'm sorry, I don't care what the manual says,that wire ain't green! Looks more like a pale blue to me! Damn, now I gotta fix my mess. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Old Bear,
Did you set the speed sensor in the PCV for each gear? You need to elevate the bike, connect your laptop with PCV software and put it in 1st gear and run at a steady speed and set for 1st gear. Follow the same procedure for 2nd thru 6th gear. Once that is done then you can set the mapping by gear.

Frank

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Old Bear,
Did you set the speed sensor in the PCV for each gear? You need to elevate the bike, connect your laptop with PCV software and put it in 1st gear and run at a steady speed and set for 1st gear. Follow the same procedure for 2nd thru 6th gear. Once that is done then you can set the mapping by gear.
Frank
For those that don't want to make the dummy mistake I did, the "light green/red stripe" wire can be seen (so you know exactly what it looks like) by checking out the wires coming off the speed sensor. Of course then just trace that harness up under the seat and tap in there. I still say it's more blue than green! :rolleyes:

I followed the instructions I had previously found and posted. Once I had the correct wire connected (DUH!), I calibrated the speed at 30mph, then calibrated each gear. I had to redo first a second time. I ran through the gears once more just to verify that the shifts were being picked up - all good. I had already set the PCV for fuel map and AFR tables for each gear. I used the fuel map that was generating after accepting the trim that had been developed over the past three weeks. I used the same AFR table that I was previously using, but adjusted 5th and 6th gear tables in mid-RPM ranges by increasing each by 0.2, and the adjoining row by 0.1.

Now that I have this working, I have a question for anyone that has a PCV that was dyno-tuned on the 1700, especially if you had it tuned for fuel economy. When you get a tune, do they provide you with an AFR table? It would be nice to have an idea of where this engine is happiest for stretching fuel. I know someone like Ray that has his own dyno may have tinkered enough to generate an AFR table, but there isn't gonna be many guys like that! Otherwise, we just tinker the old-fashioned way-change it some and see what happens! With my standard daily commute, I have a shot of pulling that off, but it would still be a multi-month process.

·
Registered
138 Posts
well set up done and running great
jacked the bike up and placed it on a large plank of wood supported by bricks
you do need to read carefully as we had a little trouble setting speed sensor ,kept press save not calibrate but after that all sweat
we are on the 3rd run after setting and acepting trim and its going great
have 13.5 in the first 4 gears and 14.5 in 5th and 6th gear and timing being advanced from 4th gear up wards
looking at geting about 350klm aprox (217 miles) out of the tank which usally takes about 18 litres of fuel(4.75 galons)
performance is fantastic

1 - 17 of 17 Posts