Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2011 vaquero and it has an aftermarket windshield on it but it is probably a little too tall for me as the line is right in the middle of my sight, I have to crouch to look through it or really posture up to look over it. It has the original tinted windshield on with the aftermarket one so I'm kind of tempted to just take it off or maybe if I don't like that to try to cut it down a few inches. For now I'm just going to leave it alone and see if I get used to it as I was used to just a tiny windshield on my Suzuki C50.

How do you ride your Vaquero with the stock shield or with an aftermarket one? I think it looks cooler without but do you still have a nice air pocket without?

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
I have 3, stock, klockwerks, and a 12" clear. intown short trips I use the klockwerks. Looks perfect, but could be a couple inches taller. for longer trips, I use both the stock and clear together. Better wind/noise protection, you can hear stereo at 80.
I'm thinking of trying the windvest.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
I tried a couple different ones, but nearly everyone agrees that the stock shield is useless, just eye-candy. I settled on the ClearShield. I can see over it (I'm 5' 8") and the recurve still makes a nice bubble at high speeds to ride in. And it still looks good!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Cut the one you have down...

Take a bit at a time and you can get it exactly where you want it. Not hard to do. Use painters tape both sides of the arc.
Draw your new line and then use a fine tooth blade and jigsaw. Cut and sand edges...

EZ

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I put 1500 miles on the bike with the stock shield. It's almost like riding a motorcycle without a windshield except you do get the wind protection on your chest, so you don't get that sensation of being yanked off of your bike.

I'd cut down the one you have.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
I tried a couple different ones, but nearly everyone agrees that the stock shield is useless, just eye-candy. I settled on the ClearShield. I can see over it (I'm 5' 8") and the recurve still makes a nice bubble at high speeds to ride in. And it still looks good!
did you get the one with vents?

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
did you get the one with vents?
No, I did not. I actually bought it off a forum member used. Depending on how hot it is dictates how happy I am with that decision. As I haven't had a shield with a vent, I'm not sure how much help it would be anyway. Regardless, the comments I saw on several forums said the vent didn't help much, and was a PITA to clean around on the inside. Several didn't like the way it looked, sort of "Gold-Wingy" if you know what I mean! ;)

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
No, I did not. I actually bought it off a forum member used. Depending on how hot it is dictates how happy I am with that decision. As I haven't had a shield with a vent, I'm not sure how much help it would be anyway. Regardless, the comments I saw on several forums said the vent didn't help much, and was a PITA to clean around on the inside. Several didn't like the way it looked, sort of "Gold-Wingy" if you know what I mean! ;)
Good to know. They cost an extra 60 for vent.. I'm liking the windvest too, its recurved as well

·
Registered
235 Posts
Cut the one you have down...

Take a bit at a time and you can get it exactly where you want it. Not hard to do. Use painters tape both sides of the arc.
Draw your new line and then use a fine tooth blade and jigsaw. Cut and sand edges...

EZ
A really fine blade and don't rush it. Cut a piece of cardboard the same shape as the top. Use it as a guide just place it on the windshield then slide it up or down until you can see clearly the road in front of you. Put painters tape on the windshield and use the cardboard to trace the line on the tape. Use a fine 400 grit sand paper and round off the edge. You can then use a propane torch set on low and quickly go over the edge to make it clear and remove the sanding marks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I put 1500 miles on the bike with the stock shield. It's almost like riding a motorcycle without a windshield except you do get the wind protection on your chest, so you don't get that sensation of being yanked off of your bike.

I'd cut down the one you have.
A really fine blade and don't rush it. Cut a piece of cardboard the same shape as the top. Use it as a guide just place it on the windshield then slide it up or down until you can see clearly the road in front of you. Put painters tape on the windshield and use the cardboard to trace the line on the tape. Use a fine 400 grit sand paper and round off the edge. You can then use a propane torch set on low and quickly go over the edge to make it clear and remove the sanding marks.
I'm probably going to end up trying this but I don't want to end up with something that scrambles my egg. I put a really small windshield on my C50 and at first it was awful with the buffeting, it was giving me a terrible headache after a short ride, but I was able to angle it and make it work; it really only keeps the pressure, and bugs, off my chest so I don't feel like a parachute. If I ended up too short would this give me a headache like the short one on my C50 did?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is me on the bike. I'm thinking if it was maybe an inch or two shorter I could see right over it without the line being right in the middle of my sight.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I read on the internet to sit on the bike and take a string and go from just above your chin and make the string as horizontal as possible. Stretch it to the windshield and measure the height of the string from the bolts. I used this method and it measured 10". I ended up getting the 10" shield and it was perfect. Was able to see over it and still had a slight amount of wind. The stereo sounded better at 70 mph.

5'8" tall

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'm probably going to end up trying this but I don't want to end up with something that scrambles my egg. I put a really small windshield on my C50 and at first it was awful with the buffeting, it was giving me a terrible headache after a short ride, but I was able to angle it and make it work; it really only keeps the pressure, and bugs, off my chest so I don't feel like a parachute. If I ended up too short would this give me a headache like the short one on my C50 did?
STOP! Before you do this, think about it just a little bit and take the short cut (heh heh). Don't ever cut the top of your shield, where you have to do all that careful sanding and risk scratching something.

Figure out how many inches you want to lower it by, then remove the shield, mask up the bottom with heaps of tape, and cut down there. You won't need to sand anything, except to take off the burr's, you'll only need to drill a few new holes (using the cut off portion as a template). Take off an inch or two, and try it out. Take off more if you need to.

I did all that, and found a height that suited me... Then I went out and bought a shorter (12") Wind Vest shield anyway. The recurve meant that even though it was lower, I sat better protected in the "pocket", and it protected my passenger much better than the cut-down OEM shield as well.

Edit: Looking at that picture of you on your bike, I can see that you'd be able to use the tinted shield as your template... Easy peasy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
STOP! Before you do this, think about it just a little bit and take the short cut (heh heh). Don't ever cut the top of your shield, where you have to do all that careful sanding and risk scratching something.

Figure out how many inches you want to lower it by, then remove the shield, mask up the bottom with heaps of tape, and cut down there. You won't need to sand anything, except to take off the burr's, you'll only need to drill a few new holes (using the cut off portion as a template). Take off an inch or two, and try it out. Take off more if you need to.

I did all that, and found a height that suited me... Then I went out and bought a shorter (12") Wind Vest shield anyway. The recurve meant that even though it was lower, I sat better protected in the "pocket", and it protected my passenger much better than the cut-down OEM shield as well.

Edit: Looking at that picture of you on your bike, I can see that you'd be able to use the tinted shield as your template... Easy peasy.
That's exactly what my brother in law suggested doing so I didn't have to worry about the cosmetics of it. But I ended up finding a 10" slipstreamer on amazon for cheap and it was tinted so I just bought and am waiting for it to get here. If I ever take a long trip I'll reconsider using this tall one or maybe cutting it down an inch or two and then using it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts