Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a new bike shortly...I'm pretty much sold on the Vaquero but I did look at a Victory Cross Country at Quaker Steak & Lube Bike Nite. The Cross Country def got my attention! What's yalls take?

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
494 Posts
I think that will be my next bike. My vaquero has an oil leak and stearing problembs dealer siys normal ware & tear at 7400 milies

·
Registered
434 Posts
Depends on what you want to spend. I love the Victory but saved 7-8 thousand dollars buying the Vaquero. At least locally I haven't heard anything good about their dealers but have heard good things about their bikes.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I think that will be my next bike. My vaquero has an oil leak and stearing problembs dealer siys normal ware & tear at 7400 milies
All bikes can have problems. It is how the dealer takes care of you that matters. Sounds like you should be calling Kawasaki directly. Oil leak should be coverd under warranty, if it is truly an oil leak and not an overfilled bike that is pushing oil out of the breather. If you still have the stock tires you probably want to put a new one on because you may have worn it out or wore it uneavenly if you weren't dilligent with the air pressure checks.

As far as Vaquero vs Victory. One is frame mounted fairing, one is handlebar mounted. If you ride in the twistys you will find the Vaquero rides better. If you ride in winds you will find the Vaquero rides better. The advantages with the Victory is if you want to go from boulevard cruiser to touring bike. The are much more adjustable with quick release kits for the tour packs etc.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
Vaq vs CC

I test rode a CC a few times, and loved it every time. Then, I got blessed with a 6 hr Vaquero test ride, and loved it, too. I now have 10,000 miles on my '11 Vaquero with virtually no problems. The Vic holds 1/2 gallon more fuel. I got a smokin' deal on a leftover '11 from Kaw, $14K out the door, including t/t/t, freight/prep, salesman's kids' college fund, dealer paperwork fees, and the receptionist's lunch money fund. Vic will MAYBE take $500 off, if you are lucky, of the $19,000 price tag, THEN ADD all of the above fees. If money were no object, the CC would be in my garage. Since that is NOT the case, I am very happy with my Vaquero, and the $7000-$8000 in the bank.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Im gald you are all happy I was thrilled with mine till the problems started send a letter to kaw today hopping for a responce. loved the bike when I got it the wife loves it to just want the problems fix back fire on decelle. Why did they noy put O2 sensers on the US bikes.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies....I'm still about 95% Vaquero! I've had a bunch of kawie's in the past and had no issues what so ever. Plus my dealership is pretty awesome as of right now I can the 2012 Blue for $14k otd and the green for slightly more. They have a demo event coming up in September can't wait to ride the Vaquero! They have also informed me the rep. Coming with the demo bikes will be selling his demo Vaquero that may be something for me to think about also

·
Registered
299 Posts
If you dont plan on touring the Badlands of south dakota in 100 degree heat it will be ok. My 2011 Nomad could not make the steep hills without going down to 4th gear full throttle. My friend was leading on his Cross Country Tour and went up the hills in 6th gear with no problem. My other friend was behind me on his goldwing trike. Asked me if i wanted a little push to get over the hill. We were fully packed with gear and wives on the back. My engine made alot of noise but what a dog. BTW my bikes new name is pooch according to my friends.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
My engine made alot of noise but what a dog. BTW my bikes new name is pooch according to my friends.
so which is it, you "screwed the pooch".. or the pooch screwed u?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JP58 seriously? How is it 103ci could have problem with climbing a hill? My little 900 custom has no problem pulling New Found Gap in 5th.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I've ridden both. The Vic corners better due to inverted fork and greater lean angle. The Vaquero wins easily in every other imaginable category.

·
Registered
440 Posts
hi guys. I test drove the cross country and was pleased but the vaquero looks alot better and has a smoother ride. and the fairing of the victory doesnt go lower like the vaquero. plus the dealer kept raising the price of the victory. it came to 20,000 and the trade in wasnt as high , just for chuckles i went to the kawa dealer and fell in love with the vaquero . 13,699 out the door with a 4000 trade in ..i couldnt resist.. have had the vaq for one week and im impressed with it. it corners better than expected and with the smooth ride im happy with my choice. only minor issues is the belt noise (will adjust) and raising the handle bars abit. what i really like is the lack of chrome i need to clean . i will get a mustang seat soon.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I had my eye on the Cross Country Tour for a while. I was trying to make up my mind between it and the Voyager. (I know; slightly different bikes.):)

The Vic is hands down the winner in looks, even against the Vaq.
The air/oil cooled engine made my legs roast at stops in 100+ temps.
Between the XCT and the VV I rode, I would say the VV pulled a little better.
The VV had a much better stock exhaust note. (I have heard a Vision with stage 1 pipes, and it still sounded like it was electric.)

I test rode both tourning models a day apart, and plan on picking up the Kawasaki next month.

Scott

·
Registered
494 Posts
What realy get me is the fit and finish on the yamaha was superior to that of the kawasaki. If there was a problem they were eager to help fix the problem mawkaw says its just ware and tear in 7400 milesI just dont get it. A dealer should stand behind their product.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
What realy get me is the fit and finish on the yamaha was superior to that of the kawasaki. If there was a problem they were eager to help fix the problem mawkaw says its just ware and tear in 7400 milesI just dont get it. A dealer should stand behind their product.
You need to call Kawasaki Customer Service to complain about the dealer. The owner's manual maintenance schedule calls for the steering stem bearings to be lubed at 2 yrs or 15,000 miles, and steering play to be inspected at 1 yr or 7500 miles. Wearing OUT at 7400 miles is NOT ordinary wear and tear! Bitch and moan, Bitch and moan, until you get what you want.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
Saddlebag rubbing update

The previous post reminded me to give an update. My left saddlebag was rubbing the bottom of the fender and rubbed the paint off. Kawasaki REPLACED the saddlebag AND the fender tip, at no cost to me. Their "fix" to the problem was kind of half-ass to me. They taped a piece of heater hose to the right side of the round tab on the bottom of the bag, that fits into the grommets on the bag mounts. the hose slightly pushes the bag to the left, preventing the bag from making contact with the fender. When I installed the trailer hitch, I just put two washers between the saddlebag mount and the fender, which also keeps the fender from making contact with the bag. Then I removed the BS heater hose, held on with electrical tape!! Are you kidding me? Anyway, I bitched, Kawasaki REPLACED. Praise God!

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
The previous post reminded me to give an update. My left saddlebag was rubbing the bottom of the fender and rubbed the paint off. Kawasaki REPLACED the saddlebag AND the fender tip, at no cost to me. Their "fix" to the problem was kind of half-ass to me. They taped a piece of heater hose to the right side of the round tab on the bottom of the bag, that fits into the grommets on the bag mounts. the hose slightly pushes the bag to the left, preventing the bag from making contact with the fender. When I installed the trailer hitch, I just put two washers between the saddlebag mount and the fender, which also keeps the fender from making contact with the bag. Then I removed the BS heater hose, held on with electrical tape!! Are you kidding me? Anyway, I bitched, Kawasaki REPLACED. Praise God!
Was that a Kawasaki solution, or your local dealer tech's bright idea?

·
Registered
434 Posts
I thought I read some where it was a Kawasaki solution. I bought a 2011 Vaquero in September of that year and when I pulled off the sadlebag it had a piece of heater hose on it also.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Test rode a Street Glide today. 2013 with 103ci felt very powerful...maybe even fast! Looking forward to the demo ride on the Vaquero

·
Registered
494 Posts
Does anyone know a number to call kawasaki and conplane about their workmanship. Or lack of it does anyone outherefeel the same as i do if so send me a NUMBER Thanks to all of you.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts