Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... having read some well documented reviews of the 1700 Voyager's weight distribution and it's effect on rear tire tread life (negative), I'm wondering what the rear tire tread life on the Vaquero is like? Any of you Vaquero owners ridden far enough to tell? (SNARK goes here...)

I'm seriously considering an upgrade soon, but I don't want to jump into a tire eating monster!

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
tire life

So... having read some well documented reviews of the 1700 Voyager's weight distribution and it's effect on rear tire tread life (negative), I'm wondering what the rear tire tread life on the Vaquero is like? Any of you Vaquero owners ridden far enough to tell? (SNARK goes here...)

I'm seriously considering an upgrade soon, but I don't want to jump into a tire eating monster!
I've read other on this forum say they only got 3k, 4k, or 5k miles on the stock rear tire, but I am getting ready to replace mine at 7300 miles. I'm installing a Michelin Commander II, which claims to get double the miles of their best competitor. I'll know more, hopefully in about a year.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Any heavy bike is going to be a tire eating monster. I pushed my 1700 Classic to get 5,800 out of the stock Stone before it was squared off real good and slightly past the wear bars. (Same tire as Vaquero.) I would imagine the ass is slightly heavier on the Vaq due to the hard bags and such. From what I understand getting 8,000 out of a Dunlop Elite 3 or Metz 880 should make one jump for joy.

·
Registered
414 Posts
i got 7500 out of the stock stones. put on a new set of michelins and loving them.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
go ahead and do it.... just put a car tire on the rear... :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Tire life

I have replaced the rear tire with the same tire as before. I only got around 8000 plus miles on the rear. I'm still running the front tire at 10500 miles to date. In my prior motorcycle I ran the Metzler 880 and really liked them but they don't make the rear tire size so I would have to increase the size for the Metzler. At this particular time though it was the prize of the tire and not the miles that caused me to use the same factory tire. I'm happy with the factory tire though as I think it has good gripping/cornering capabilities.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I ran through the stock tires at 5k (Front and rear) I switched to a set of Metzler ME880's. The rear tire is at the wear bars @ 7k, front tire still looks decent. I did find the Me880's to be a little hard and not as smooth in the corners. I am considering a new tire brand but haven't decided which ones yet.

(NOTE): The rear tire on the Vaquero is a 170 70 16. This is an unusual and limited choices tire to find. You can get a lot more choices of tires by replacing your rear tire with a 180 70 16. The Vaquero has no problem fitting this size tire.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any heavy bike is going to be a tire eating monster. I pushed my 1700 Classic to get 5,800 out of the stock Stone before it was squared off real good and slightly past the wear bars. (Same tire as Vaquero.) I would imagine the ass is slightly heavier on the Vaq due to the hard bags and such. From what I understand getting 8,000 out of a Dunlop Elite 3 or Metz 880 should make one jump for joy.
I'd disagree with the "any heavy bike" comment just a bit, as the folks over on the Victory forums claim an average of 10k - 15k miles on the stock Dunlop Elite 3's (Cross Country, for comparison to the Vaquero). They also comment quite a bit on the even wear of front/rear tires, so that's telling me the weight distribution might have a big part in it. A double darkside might resolve the fears though?

Anyone worn out a set of E3's or Metz880's yet?

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'd disagree with the "any heavy bike" comment just a bit, as the folks over on the Victory forums claim an average of 10k - 15k miles on the stock Dunlop Elite 3's (Cross Country, for comparison to the Vaquero). They also comment quite a bit on the even wear of front/rear tires, so that's telling me the weight distribution might have a big part in it. A double darkside might resolve the fears though?

Anyone worn out a set of E3's or Metz880's yet?
15K on a back tire would be far above the average. If you get 15K on a back MC tire on a 1700 you let me know and I'm buying that brand!! I hear the Dunlop's and Metz are decent. I just changed mine and am trying this in bias ply;

http://www.bridgestone.com/products/motorcycle_tires/products/exedra/max.html

I haven't heard anyone report if they are junk or better than stock Stones. They are just like the stock Stones only with a different compound throughout. I've only got about 15 miles on them so I can't comment yet.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Any heavy bike is going to be a tire eating monster
Not true... even though I only got 6,400 miles on my stock Voyager rear tire and the cord was showing in one spot...

I had way over 140k miles on a 2002 Venture which is only about 30 pounds lighter than the Voyager, and with the way it was set up and all the crap I carried it would weigh more than my current Voyager. I ran two rear tires before I finally found a CT to fit on it.

Just a disclaimer.... I have always ran car tires on my large road bikes, yes even spoked wheel scoots. and some of my medium road bikes.. sometimes (way before internet, like early 70's, 80's) it would literally take a year or so to find one, and then you find out some do not fit even if it was the same size as the stock tire. I have had the same problem with a normal MC tire the right size being too wide to clear the swing arm/drive shaft tube. My first tubeless tire scoot was a 98 Goldwing.

Anyway the first replacement rear tire on the 02 Venture was a Avon Venom, I got over 12k miles on that tire, the second was a Maxim and I got a over 12k miles on that tire also. I also would get around 14k (Avon)-16k(Maxim) on the front tires. I continued to run Maxim's on the front until I traded it in. All getting between 14-16k on the front.

When I put the first CT on the Venture it I got almost 28k out of it,(they all had a lot of miles left but was starting to look kinda ragged on the sedges) the same for the next 4 CT's and I had almost 20k on the last CT when I traded the Venture on the Voyager. The ratio of CT to front tire was 4-5 front (normal) to 1 rear (CT). I did have a couple rear CT's and normal front tires damaged by road debris and I would replace it if it was cut on the sidewall like I would do a normal MC tire.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I own a 2011 vaquero got 6300 out of my rear tire,put on Michelin commander 2 before I went on 9 day trip to lake Ontario & finger lakes put 2,200 on the trip have 3000 miles on tire now no noticeable wear. I'm guessing I should get 12,000 to 15,000????

My 2 cents

·
Registered
234 Posts
I got 8k on mine. Had to replace with Bridgestone again, but my next set will for sure be the Commander IIs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts