Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced that ridiculous plastic tank panel on their Vaquero - if so with what?

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
I replaced the stock black one with a chrome one from a Voyager. Along with other chrome tid bits it looks nice.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
130 Posts
I didn't replace mine but covered up a good part of it with a "sagebrush" tank bag

It's very practical and made of good leather.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Haven't yet but looking to change it. Not sure about all the others, but on the 2013 Vaquero the texture of the thing is like non skid. if it was smoother feeling and black plastic i would be ok with it. the chrome may be an option, not a lot of chrome on my bike but a lil here and a lil there is ok...lol
RAY is is just the 2 allen bolts holding that on? simple old one off new one one switch?

Paul

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
I didn't replace mine but covered up a good part of it with a "sagebrush" tank bag

It's very practical and made of good leather.
Did the very same thing on my 2011 Vaquero.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I've heard of some who had it wrapped in vinyl - which has the added benefit of helping damp down that vibration they can suffer from... The Vaq would probably suit the carbon look better than the Voyager would as well?

And for Paul G - two allen bolts up front, plus one 10mm nut down the back under the nose of the seat.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
Haven't yet but looking to change it. Not sure about all the others, but on the 2013 Vaquero the texture of the thing is like non skid. if it was smoother feeling and black plastic i would be ok with it. the chrome may be an option, not a lot of chrome on my bike but a lil here and a lil there is ok...lol
RAY is is just the 2 allen bolts holding that on? simple old one off new one one switch?

Paul
Paul, I removed the panel, wet sanded it until smooth, then just spray painted it black and put it back on. I used 400 grit, then 1000 grit to smooth it out. To remove it, take a screwdriver under a piece of cloth to pry up the chrome ring around the ignition. When you can get your fingers under the ring, just pull it straight up. Remove the two Allen bolts and it's off. Oh yeah, they finally made it smooth on the 2014 models.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
All those skulls...that's really scary Jerry, you're gonna make me have scary dreams!!

RACNRAY

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thats why you should always pair black with chrome! :D
Until the sunshine shines and you are blinded by the light :) No more front end chrome for me. Last bike had chromed triple tree and riser cap and more than once I had the pleasure of being blinded.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts