Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you vaquero owners do for added security? My 900 had a steering lock and I haven't read the entire manual but haven't found one on my vaquero yet. Are there aftermarket security systems you have installed? That's one thing I do like about the Harleys my buddies own. It's not really an issue except when I stop somewhere in my way home on my commute.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Turn the handlebars to the left, press and turn the ignition switch all the way left, steering is now locked.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Turn the handlebars to the left, press and turn the ignition switch all the way left, steering is now locked.
Well I'll be damned. I figured there was some way they had to lock. I've been so busy at work since I bought it (tis the construction season) that when I get a chance to ride I do just that. Thank you very much!

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
+1 gv550

I'm lucky, in that I keep it in the garage at home, and at work I park in a garage monitored by federal marshals. With the weight, it will take more than two big guys to pick it up and load it into a truck like they do when stealing the crotch rockets, and lucky for us, cruisers and baggers are not prime targets anyway. While I like the security provided by my 45 ACP, I know I'm not gonna be close or aware if anyone is messing with it. Best security for bikes is a good insurance policy in this world.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
I also use a disc lock when I am not able to be around or see the Vaq.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
My security system is that I live in Podunk Arkansas. When I leave Podunk I actually lock her up...... maybe even my saddlebags... at least the one with Mr. Beretta in it when I can't take him with me.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Just a note:

The ignition not only serves as the steering lock but also; the keys can be removed from the ignition in the full run position.
This allows the use of metal key-rings and additional keys on the ring without scratching the paint.

I'm sure most know this, but I have ran into a few that didn't.

Scott

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Use a Disc Lock when in certain areas and times of day or night when I feel that more than just locking the steering to the left is needed.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I use a disc lock too. One that also has an alarm so if someone would even throw a leg around it, their ears would bleed!

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
The way I figure it, I'll make more money through the insurance since I have all my accessories covered, than I would make selling the bike. I would look at it as an excuse to buy another bike.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, thats true. I have it all covered through insurance but if I can prevent something I became attached to from being stolen then I certainly would give it a go.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
+1 gv550

I'm lucky, in that I keep it in the garage at home, and at work I park in a garage monitored by federal marshals. With the weight, it will take more than two big guys to pick it up and load it into a truck like they do when stealing the crotch rockets, and lucky for us, cruisers and baggers are not prime targets anyway. While I like the security provided by my 45 ACP, I know I'm not gonna be close or aware if anyone is messing with it. Best security for bikes is a good insurance policy in this world.
+1

The vast majority of motorcycle thefts are sportbikes. When it comes to cruisers, it tends to be smaller cruisers.

Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but it's not as likely. Good insurance is the most important part.

I think the best deterrent is an alarm, not a lock. Locks get drilled, pryed, hammered. If they are good enough, you're left with a mangled, scratched bike because someone was trying to break it all apart. An alarm is at least a deterrent. Most criminals want easy targets. If a couple thugs come up to steal your bike and it starts screeching so loud everyone in a 3 mile radius can here it? They'll be gone in a heartbeat, off to the next victim. Disc locks with alarms are the way to go there. Though there are aftermarket motorcycle security systems that can be set to detect things like movement, a plus for deterring people from throwing a leg over your bike while you're away! (I've seen it happen! Amazes me that some stranger would just come and sit on someones bike. Would they get in their car and sit down if it was unlocked?)

·
Registered
851 Posts
I usually leave my key in the bike most everywhere I go in my area. When I get out of my area sometimes I still leave it in the bike only when I have a visual on it at all times. Also the way I look at it is anyone that would want to steal a green bike like mine would have to be a fool, cause it sticks out like a sore thumb. lol!

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,907 Posts
+1

The vast majority of motorcycle thefts are sportbikes. When it comes to cruisers, it tends to be smaller cruisers.

Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but it's not as likely. Good insurance is the most important part.

I think the best deterrent is an alarm, not a lock. Locks get drilled, pryed, hammered. If they are good enough, you're left with a mangled, scratched bike because someone was trying to break it all apart. An alarm is at least a deterrent. Most criminals want easy targets. If a couple thugs come up to steal your bike and it starts screeching so loud everyone in a 3 mile radius can here it? They'll be gone in a heartbeat, off to the next victim. Disc locks with alarms are the way to go there. Though there are aftermarket motorcycle security systems that can be set to detect things like movement, a plus for deterring people from throwing a leg over your bike while you're away! (I've seen it happen! Amazes me that some stranger would just come and sit on someones bike. Would they get in their car and sit down if it was unlocked?)
+1 on everything Romans said.

I don't remember how much "extra" I have my bike insured for. But I actually called my insurance (progressive) just a few months ago about increasing it. It was shockingly VERY cheap to add "thousands" to the bike...

about alarms themselves...I put one on last year and did a lot of research before I choose one.

i went with the i900 from Scorpio

http://www.scorpioalarms.com/

It was all plug and play. I had to do no splicing. They make a harness that plugs into our systems.

In addition to standard jolt/movement sensors, the i900 comes with a 2-way RFID remote.

The 2-way is not the strongest. (the 2-way on my truck, I can be a mile away and it will let me know if my truck alarm is going off.)

But the RFID is very very nice. The alarm won't go off if the remote is around (like in your pocket). No having to turn the alarm on and off. It knows when your near it..

I also got the optional perimeter sensor. But I usually have it turned off. Was only $35 bucks for the module.. I'd still get if it was doing it again.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
+1 on everything Romans said.

I don't remember how much "extra" I have my bike insured for. But I actually called my insurance (progressive) just a few months ago about increasing it. It was shockingly VERY cheap to add "thousands" to the bike...

about alarms themselves...I put one on last year and did a lot of research before I choose one.

i went with the i900 from Scorpio

http://www.scorpioalarms.com/

It was all plug and play. I had to do no splicing. They make a harness that plugs into our systems.

In addition to standard jolt/movement sensors, the i900 comes with a 2-way RFID remote.

The 2-way is not the strongest. (the 2-way on my truck, I can be a mile away and it will let me know if my truck alarm is going off.)

But the RFID is very very nice. The alarm won't go off if the remote is around (like in your pocket). No having to turn the alarm on and off. It knows when your near it..

I also got the optional perimeter sensor. But I usually have it turned off. Was only $35 bucks for the module.. I'd still get if it was doing it again.
Awesome, security system reviews are definitely helpful. Thank you!

Did they include a motorcycle specific harness with the purchase or do you have to buy the one for your bike seperately?

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,907 Posts
Awesome, security system reviews are definitely helpful. Thank you!

Did they include a motorcycle specific harness with the purchase or do you have to buy the one for your bike seperately?
It was separate.

It comes (default) with everything you need to splice everything in. But the harness is only $25 bucks, and specific to your bike. Worth the price...

·
Registered
701 Posts
I usually leave my key in the bike most everywhere I go in my area. When I get out of my area sometimes I still leave it in the bike only when I have a visual on it at all times. Also the way I look at it is anyone that would want to steal a green bike like mine would have to be a fool, cause it sticks out like a sore thumb. lol!
Candy Lime Green is the best deterrent! :D

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ive never used the steering lock on my voyager or any other anti theft device. I've been on many overnight trips and never had a problem. I don't think kawi cruisers are a big theft item. Like twowheel said good insurance means a good excuse to get a new ride.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ive never used the steering lock on my voyager or any other anti theft device. I've been on many overnight trips and never had a problem. I don't think kawi cruisers are a big theft item. Like twowheel said good insurance means a good excuse to get a new ride.

There's another name that looks familiar...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts