Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '11 Vaquero with 7500 miles on it began leaking oil out the left rear shock while on a trip to the Black Hills of South Dakota. I see original equipment shocks go for $722 and up.

Does anyone know of aftermarket shocks with or w/o air adjust that does not lower the bike? I can find shocks that lower the bike but not keep factory height.

Thanks

·
Registered
281 Posts
My '11 Vaquero with 7500 miles on it began leaking oil out the left rear shock while on a trip to the Black Hills of South Dakota. I see original equipment shocks go for $722 and up.

Does anyone know of aftermarket shocks with or w/o air adjust that does not lower the bike? I can find shocks that lower the bike but not keep factory height.

Thanks
As far as I know, a 13 inch shock will keep you at stock height. Check progressive shocks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Progressive indicated the 13" shock lowers the Vaquero 1". I removed the right side bag and measured the stock shock at 14" bolt center to bolt center. I can't find any company that makes a shock for this bike keeping the stock height. I'd be okay with this but the Vaquero does not have a lot of lean angle until metal parts drag anyways.

I've also looked into rebuilding the shock however I can only find seal kits for Kawasaki dirt bikes.

Adding salt to injury, my local Kawasaki shop closed, the nearest shop is one hundred miles away!

I have read of others having oil leaking from Vaquero shocks from other sources. This appears to be more common on this bike then any other cycle I've owned.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have a pair of near-new rear shocks from a Voyager, removed to install a trike kit. They are the same length as yours but have the air valve coming out the side rather than the front, just connect your pump directly to the shock instead of using the hose set-up, or get longer hoses. $US500 for the pair plus actual shipping cost.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have a set of Works custom shocks that were on Voyager. Better ride than stock, no bottoming. Sold the bike. I paid around $725...I'll take $450 plus shipping for them

Bruce
[email protected]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Flatop

I did get a set of shorter Progressive 430's. Rides nice. Going to keep searching for the seal kit for factory shocks and rebuild them. Thanks though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts