Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a passenger back rest ordered but the labor for the install was 3 hours which translated to about $300.00 so I said hell no to that but now I have to do it myself and I'm already dreading it because of the way they made it sound in their justification for it taking 3 hours. They said I have to take the saddlebags off and then get the whole fender mount off to cut the holes from the inside and install the bracket and that the dismantling was a large part of the time. Anybody done this before? Is it as bad as they make it sounds?

Also I thought remembered reading that the quick release was keyed to the bike so that it used the normal bike keys but they seemed to be clueless about this. I assumed that you had to give you VIN and it came keyed to the bike but they said if anything that it would come with supplies to make the stock key work. How does this work?

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
I have a passenger back rest ordered but the labor for the install was 3 hours which translated to about $300.00 so I said hell no to that but now I have to do it myself and I'm already dreading it because of the way they made it sound in their justification for it taking 3 hours. They said I have to take the saddlebags off and then get the whole fender mount off to cut the holes from the inside and install the bracket and that the dismantling was a large part of the time. Anybody done this before? Is it as bad as they make it sounds?

Also I thought remembered reading that the quick release was keyed to the bike so that it used the normal bike keys but they seemed to be clueless about this. I assumed that you had to give you VIN and it came keyed to the bike but they said if anything that it would come with supplies to make the stock key work. How does this work?
The backrest mounting hardware is NOT difficult to install. 3 HOURS? I'd have to eat lunch and take a nap in the middle of the job to make it last 3 hrs. The saddlebags take one minute to remove, the seat takes several seconds. the plastic gap filler that needs the holes drilled in it has about 4 bolts holding it on. The spots for the holes are clearly marked on the inside. Be sure to use a good hole saw and put masking tape on the outside, to ensure a clean cut.
The key for the lock is NOT the ignition key.

Any dealer charging 3 hrs labor to install the backrest should be ashamed of themselves. For what that damn thing costs, it should include free installation and a BBQ dinner! Then on top of that, they want to make $275 of additional profit on the install!?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I did mine in about 45 minutes. Not the same key either. Holes are already laid out on the inside of the plastic trim piece. If I had to do it again I would only use a hole saw slightly bigger than the bolt diameter for a cleaner look.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I kept hearing that the backrest was keyed alike too and I swear that someone at the dealer told me the same, but apparently it isn't or isn't anymore.

Yeah, don't let them scare you. Taking the saddlebags off takes 5 minutes. Well, if you take a 3 minute break between each one. Then a couple of bolts come loose and the fender trim is loose. Seriously. It's a piece of cake. I haven't done it; but I just installed a trailer hitch that involved taking off some of the same parts. This bike is a cakewalk to work on.

The hitch took me 90 minutes and that included a trip to the hardware store to get some different hardware because I didn't like what the hitch included!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Any dealer charging 3 hrs labor to install the backrest should be ashamed of themselves. For what that damn thing costs, it should include free installation and a BBQ dinner! Then on top of that, they want to make $275 of additional profit on the install!?
what this guy said...

hell i custom BUILT my sissy bar/luggage rack in less than three hours
(and that was like 5 install and uninstalls to get is specked out right)

if it was me, id NEVER take my bike to or buy anything from that dealer again, insulting ass mo-foos

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input. I thought they were crazy. I'm not too thrilled with cutting cuz you only get one shot at it and I'm not experienced using saws but I put several mods on my Camaro so I know how to turn a wrench and I never dreamed that this could be that hard. I'm more than willing to pay a reasonable price for labor just to save the trouble and I know that the first time I do something is the worst time so these guys do it every day and can do a better job than me but I won't let someone screw me. It just kind of makes you wonder that there must be a lot of people willing to pay overpriced labor rates instead of trying it themselves for these guys to get away with even telling me that price with a strait face.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts