Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

3781 - 3786 of 3786 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
As far as glue, I would have guessed the old school Testers model glue. Made even a pvc glue for pipes with the purple primer. Just a dab will do.
You do want the plastic parts to melt back together to form the bond. Gorilla glue doesn't melt the plastic, same with the super glue.
Just my two cents from an ancient model builder.
Thanks! Once I realized the other 2 tabs are still there and working, it became less of a priority. So, I'll be getting the right glue and do it next week or so.

Isn't model glue just CA glue? (cyanoacrylate?) If so, I may have some of that around. Just gotta be careful how much of the plastic melts, because the tab that broke off was attached along the long side and both ends.

-John

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not sure the chemical make up of the testers glue. And yes be very careful how much you use I remember apply glue to each piece wait 10 seconds and then press together.
Unfortunately it won't be as strong as before. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts

Isn't model glue just CA glue? (cyanoacrylate?) If so, I may have some of that around. Just gotta be careful how much of the plastic melts, because the tab that broke off was attached along the long side and both ends.

-John
Not the stuff I ever used. Not sure the current formulation but back in the day it was heavy on toluene. Literally melted the plastic so it sorta fused together.

If it is ABS then maybe just get some ABS glue/solvent from a hardware/home improvement store.

If it happens to be polypropylene good luck. I've seen glue for that but some of it is expensive, other not so much, but never personally tried any of it.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Thanks! Once I realized the other 2 tabs are still there and working, it became less of a priority. So, I'll be getting the right glue and do it next week or so.

-John
I think any glue you use is probably going to break the first time you try to remove the cover. I've never tried it, but I saw a fix for this years ago that sounded interesting. Grab a screw or bolt that has a shaft smaller than the broken boss and head larger than the grommetted hole in the frame. Using a dremel or something similar, grind the head to an ball that snaps into the grommet. Carefully drill the boss out to accept the screw and epoxy it in.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I think any glue you use is probably going to break the first time you try to remove the cover. I've never tried it, but I saw a fix for this years ago that sounded interesting. Grab a screw or bolt that has a shaft smaller than the broken boss and head larger than the grommetted hole in the frame. Using a dremel or something similar, grind the head to an ball that snaps into the grommet. Carefully drill the boss out to accept the screw and epoxy it in.
I'll have to post a pic later - it's the whole tab, from the part that interfaces with the grommet all the way to the inside of the cover. It'll need glued back together, or the whole piece replaced (which I really don't want to do).

-John

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Guys,
Looking for a used stock clutch line for a 2017 Vaquero. Found a place in Loveland that will make a long clutch line in Red for me. Putting on the 15" JSR bars.
Found that BarnettClutches.com makes 5" over length throttle cables.
Does any one have a clutch line and maybe even the stock back line for sale?

Thx,
-TinMan

3781 - 3786 of 3786 Posts