Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

3721 - 3740 of 3786 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just bought a 2013 Vaquero that already has D Myers apes on it. Still not tall enough for me (6'4"). I have a Corbin seat ordered, that should help some. I was thinking/hoping I could maybe put some 1 1/2 or 2" risers like Chucksters under the mini apes and then could tilt them forward? I've purchased the Xlg Clearview wind screen which I know possibly interferes with going taller. I had a 2012 Nomad until a truck pulled out in front of me. Really, really loved that bike. With a Corbin seat, 4" risers it fit me pretty well. Trying to get close to that with my new ride.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: haven't changed my "garage" yet. Man, that's like accidentally seeing a pic of a girlfriend that dumped you! Waaaaa!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hello,

My buddy bought an 2012 Vaquero and I want to help him to mount an USB charger and a cigarette lighter socket, into the front fairing, left & right.
Where do you advice to electricaly mount these two accessories, direct on the battery, or on the accessory terminals, from the front fairing ?
I prefer to connect them direct on the battery (each with it's own fuse), so I will have always power, don't need to set the key on "ON" or "ACC" position.

Thanks
Marcel

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello,

My buddy bought an 2012 Vaquero and I want to help him to mount an USB charger and a cigarette lighter socket, into the front fairing, left & right.
Where do you advice to electricaly mount these two accessories, direct on the battery, or on the accessory terminals, from the front fairing ?
I prefer to connect them direct on the battery (each with it's own fuse), so I will have always power, don't need to set the key on "ON" or "ACC" position.

Thanks
Marcel
Marcel every bike I've owned that I installed aux power, I always did it just like you were wanting to. Fused and directly off the + 12 volt supply. Suggestion: somewhere along the line (accessible but out of the way/sight) interrupt the line going to the aux power with a quick disconnect plug (like for battery tenders) so you can use it to charge the battery when not in use.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hello,

Thanks
Marcel
For the USB, check the wiring in the fairing - the Vaquero is pre-wired for accessories. I installed the iPod adapter in my left cubby, and the wires to install it were just behind the cubby itself.

For the cigarette lighter socket, Kawasaki sells one for <$40 and again, the bike is pre-wired for it. Remove the cubby, fish the wires through, and plug it in, problem solved.

Hope this helps!

-John

·
Registered
199 Posts
Marcel every bike I've owned that I installed aux power, I always did it just like you were wanting to. Fused and directly off the + 12 volt supply. Suggestion: somewhere along the line (accessible but out of the way/sight) interrupt the line going to the aux power with a quick disconnect plug (like for battery tenders) so you can use it to charge the battery when not in use.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will consider.

For the USB, check the wiring in the fairing - the Vaquero is pre-wired for accessories. I installed the iPod adapter in my left cubby, and the wires to install it were just behind the cubby itself.

For the cigarette lighter socket, Kawasaki sells one for <$40 and again, the bike is pre-wired for it. Remove the cubby, fish the wires through, and plug it in, problem solved.

Hope this helps!

-John
Thanks John,
I know the Vaquero is pre-wired, my problem is where to connect the USB charger & cigarette socket, directly to the battery or to the pre-wired harness. Because if I connect to the pre-wired harness, I will always need to turn the key "ON", or "AUX", to have power to the accessories.
Thinking about some PROs and CONs, for both situations.

·
Registered
662 Posts

Thanks
Marcel
Don't do it that way Marcel. Take advantage of what those ahead of you have learned, and wire it through the accessory circuit... You'll only end up changing it later on anyway, after you figure out that your battery is being drained by the constant draw of the USB outlet. They're a mini transformer, so if you give them power - they'll use it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Don't do it that way Marcel. Take advantage of what those ahead of you have learned, and wire it through the accessory circuit... You'll only end up changing it later on anyway, after you figure out that your battery is being drained by the constant draw of the USB outlet. They're a mini transformer, so if you give them power - they'll use it.
I did not know that the USB charger is constantly consuming power from the battery. I will consider that.

Thanks
Marcel

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I did not know that the USB charger is constantly consuming power from the battery. I will consider that.

Thanks
Marcel
With nothing plugged in, it won't use a lot of power, but don't forget that the on board computer is already a constant draw. Anything you add will reduce the time between charging.

·
Registered
199 Posts
OK then ... I think I found it ... :)

The cigarette socket will be directly on the battery and for the USB charger I will use the pre-wired harness.

·
Registered
199 Posts
As my friend's Vaquero is a Californian model, I would like to eliminate the environment additional stuff (no issues from legal point of view, in Romania).
So, I would like to eliminate the canister, separator and its hoses, as per the foto.
Do you see any issue ? Can I get some ECU error ?

Thanks
Marcel

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
As my friend's Vaquero is a Californian model, I would like to eliminate the environment additional stuff (no issues from legal point of view, in Romania).
So, I would like to eliminate the canister, separator and its hoses, as per the foto.
Do you see any issue ? Can I get some ECU error ?

Thanks
Marcel
Just as info, maybe somebody wants to do the same :

I have removed the Californian stuff, exactly as described, and everything is OK.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Do you notice anything with better performance? What is the positive for doing this?
Nothing to notice, also there is nothing to gain in performance. It's just that I don't want to carry with me additional stuff like canister, separator, hoses .... The simple, the better.

·
Registered
199 Posts
When I switch the key to ON positon, to my buddie's Vaquero, there is a buzzing sound, which do not stop. What is this sound, where is coming from ?

As a comparison, to my YAMAHA Raider, when I switch the key to ON, the fuel pump start buzzing, but in about 3 seconds it stops, think when it reach the correct pressure.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
When I switch the key to ON positon, to my buddie's Vaquero, there is a buzzing sound, which do not stop. What is this sound, where is coming from ?

As a comparison, to my YAMAHA Raider, when I switch the key to ON, the fuel pump start buzzing, but in about 3 seconds it stops, think when it reach the correct pressure.
It’s the electronic throttle. Perfectly normal for this bike.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Thanks.

Means no issues if I keep the key in ON position for a longer time, w\o starting the engine ?
No, but I’m not sure why you’d want to.

Lead acid batteries do best when they stay at or near full charge. These batteries are pretty small. You’ve got a fuel injected bike with a stereo, ABS on some models, and a big motor to get turning. The bike can be pretty hard on batteries as it is, without adding the additional wear and tear of draining it down key on / engine off.

But, as far as the rest of the bike— no leaving the key on won’t hurt anything.

3721 - 3740 of 3786 Posts