Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been praising my Vaq since day 1 and dismissed the brake noise assuming that it would quickly go away since it was brand new. Well after 700 miles now the noise is louder than ever and sounds like a huge semi trailer is hitting it's brakes when I lightly use the front brakes. I even feel the vibration up the forks and into my grips! I took it into the kaw dealership and they said it was a known issue. They said kaw recommend after market brake pads and that they wouldn't cover it!!!! They said it's not a safety issue so it's not an emergency to fix and they would look into it. Does anyone else have this problem and if so how did you fix it? It is pretty damn embarrassing when stopping, I try and use my rear brake more now but it bit right to ride like that.

Just venting and hope someone else gas a quick fix.

Greg

·
Registered
122 Posts
my back brake screams on mine ... i thought mine would go away too. ive been riding it too much to feel like taking it appart yet that will be winters project. most likely the pads are dry and in need of lube

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have noticed the noise from the front brakes on my Vaquero although mine does not seem to be as bad as what you are describing. I have also noticed a rattling noise when coasting to a stop. Engaging the front brakes seems to stop the noise but as soon as I let off the brakes the rattling continues.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
I have been praising my Vaq since day 1 and dismissed the brake noise assuming that it would quickly go away since it was brand new. Well after 700 miles now the noise is louder than ever and sounds like a huge semi trailer is hitting it's brakes when I lightly use the front brakes. I even feel the vibration up the forks and into my grips! I took it into the kaw dealership and they said it was a known issue. They said kaw recommend after market brake pads and that they wouldn't cover it!!!! They said it's not a safety issue so it's not an emergency to fix and they would look into it. Does anyone else have this problem and if so how did you fix it? It is pretty damn embarrassing when stopping, I try and use my rear brake more now but it bit right to ride like that.

Greg
Well I can tell what I have done. I think mine made a little noise last year when I dicided to change all the pads to "GALFER Full Metallic Pads" There is NO noise at all and it breaks breaks better because of full matallic.
If anyone is interested the GALFER P/N is = FD107G1370 for the front and
FD179G1370 is for the rear.

·
Registered
369 Posts

Greg
this is what works, go to walmart and buy a 3 dollar can of brake quite and brake cleaner. take you pads out and lay a piece of cardboard down then lay your break pads with the pad side facing down. dont spray the side that goes against the disc, i'm calling that your pad side. spray these until there covered with that red goo. while their drying, take the brake cleaner and spray out your piston callipers and metal parts of your callipers, just dont get it on the rubber parts of you breaks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this is what works, go to walmart and buy a 3 dollar can of brake quite and brake cleaner. take you pads out and lay a piece of cardboard down then lay your break pads with the pad side facing down. dont spray the side that goes against the disc, i'm calling that your pad side. spray these until there covered with that red goo. while their drying, take the brake cleaner and spray out your piston callipers and metal parts of your callipers, just dont get it on the rubber parts of you breaks.
I have seeen that red goo brake quiet before at autozone. I will go ahead and try this out tonight. I tried crusing downtown San Antonio last night and left after multiple embarassing loud sceeching stops lol. I will keep you guys updated as to how it works out for me. Hopefully helps someone else out.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have seen that red goo brake quiet before at auto zone. I will go ahead and try this out tonight. I tried cruising downtown San Antonio last night and left after multiple embarrassing loud screeching stops lol. I will keep you guys updated as to how it works out for me. Hopefully helps someone else out.
it does work, mine did the same thing before i did this. i thought something was wrong with the brakes it was that bad. now, not one screech

·
Registered
369 Posts
you know not to unscrew your banjo bolt right?, just unscrew the 2 calliper holder bolts on both sides. then hang the calipers back on the brake disc once you got the pads out. just dont forget to get the brake cleaner and clean out your calipers as well

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you know not to unscrew your banjo bolt right?, just unscrew the 2 calliper holder bolts on both sides. then hang the calipers back on the brake disc once you got the pads out. just dont forget to get the brake cleaner and clean out your calipers as well

Yeah I knew that but if I didnt thanks for the heads up. I just took them apart and put the red stuff on and letting them dry a bit now.

I also found that the edges of the pad had some metal sticking out so I sanded the edges down a bit. I know that all my aftermarket AKEBONO car pads have the pads slightly sanded down on the edges so I thought I would try it with these as well. If this doesnt work then I am going to buy the pads mentioned earlier.

Ok...going to put it back together and take a ride to buy the IPOD connection for the bike. The FM is cool but I want to listen to my own tunes now.
Wish me luck!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yeah I knew that but if I didnt thanks for the heads up. I just took them apart and put the red stuff on and letting them dry a bit now.

I also found that the edges of the pad had some metal sticking out so I sanded the edges down a bit. I know that all my aftermarket AKEBONO car pads have the pads slightly sanded down on the edges so I thought I would try it with these as well. If this doesnt work then I am going to buy the pads mentioned earlier.

Ok...going to put it back together and take a ride to buy the IPOD connection for the bike. The FM is cool but I want to listen to my own tunes now.
Wish me luck!
Is that the stuff you used in that bottle? The stuff I used is in an arisol can, but it was gooey like that stuff looks, I hope it works out for u like it did me. Let me know

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am out shopping for the kids school supplies now but thought I would give a quick update.

The Red Goo worked! No more 18 wheeler noise, I do get a slight noise at a very light tap but that was me trying to get it to make that noise again. 5 dollars and it's fixed! Kawasaki needs to take note and do this themselves!!

Thanks for the help Justin!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
I am out shopping for the kids school supplies now but thought I would give a quick update.

The Red Goo worked! No more 18 wheeler noise, I do get a slight noise at a very light tap but that was me trying to get it to make that noise again. 5 dollars and it's fixed! Kawasaki needs to take note and do this themselves!!

Thanks for the help Justin!!
Your welcome, every now and then I'll get a small squeak right as the bike comes to a stop but that's it, nothing like it was. Glad it worked on the vaquero, I did notice your calipers are different from the voyager

1 - 13 of 13 Posts