Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '11 Vaquero has 6k on the odometer and within the past 250 miles a dark fluid began to leak from my left side muffler (parked on the side kickstand) leaving a dark stain on the garage floor. The fluid is not thick like oil, it's more like water.

Initially I thought it was condensation. However, after a 70 mile ride in 80 degree weather, I parked the bike and the next day I had a a 2.5" dia puddle under the left muffler.

Oil and coolant levels don't appear to have changed.

·
Registered
281 Posts
My '11 Vaquero has 6k on the odometer and within the past 250 miles a dark fluid began to leak from my left side muffler (parked on the side kickstand) leaving a dark stain on the garage floor. The fluid is not thick like oil, it's more like water.

Initially I thought it was condensation. However, after a 70 mile ride in 80 degree weather, I parked the bike and the next day I had a a 2.5" dia puddle under the left muffler.

Oil and coolant levels don't appear to have changed.
Still sounds like some sort of condensation. The motor will not expell liquid into the exhaust from the port. At least that has always been my experience. But then my Vaquero is dry as a bone when I park her.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Still sounds like some sort of condensation. The motor will not expell liquid into the exhaust from the port. At least that has always been my experience. But then my Vaquero is dry as a bone when I park her.
+1

I agree... Could be the condensation is happening as the vehicle cools down. Why not put a container under the pipe to capture a sample. If the fluid has no lube characteristics, then is almost has to be just plain water. Oil or coolant will "feel" different than condensation.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
My '11 Vaquero has 6k on the odometer and within the past 250 miles a dark fluid began to leak from my left side muffler .
6.8,, looks like she took a hit in the liver.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
6.8,, looks like she took a hit in the liver.
That right there is damn funny and witty Mr. Villa!

My first thought was carbon in the muffler turning condensation dark causing the stain on my floor. It's a mystery to me why condensation would start now and none the past four years.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts

My first thought was carbon in the muffler turning condensation dark causing the stain on my floor. It's a mystery to me why condensation would start now and none the past four years.
its them dam climate changers are fooking with the co2 content raises dewpoint causes condensation and sea levels rise.. one mc at a time.. see one, shoot em in the liver.. let them flopp around in the dirt for a while. poncho

the changers, not the mc's..

·
Registered
20 Posts

My guess is that there is now a hole in the muffler that has rusted through that was not fully rusted through before. So now it is letting the condensation out of the muffler and onto your floor. It's dark because it is old rusty water that has been accumulating in the muffler.
But that is just an educated (or maybe not) guess.

Best thing is to check the fluid and see how it feels. Oils and coolant will feel slippery. Water w/ rust or carbon won't feel slippery.

·
Registered
39 Posts
There is a drain hole in the bottom of each muffler, is that where it's coming from? Does the liquid dry up leaving a dark powder?, if so then its carbon. Leaning left all the condensation from the pipes will go into the left side muffler.

·
Registered
86 Posts
+1

I agree... Could be the condensation is happening as the vehicle cools down. Why not put a container under the pipe to capture a sample. If the fluid has no lube characteristics, then is almost has to be just plain water. Oil or coolant will "feel" different than condensation.
Yep

:star:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts