Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm only a couple of tanks into my 2011 vaquero and I'm trying to figure out what an average number of miles I should get on a full tank of gas? I'm getting on it a lot now being new so the miles range setting is fluctuating a lot. The gas light seems to come on pretty early as far as range is concerned, how many miles would you estimate you can go once that light comes on? I reset the trip on each fill and so far it seems like I'm going to be in the 250ish miles on a full tank but at times according to the range function I could make 300. I know it is going to depend on factors like how hard you gas and city vs highway riding but what would say is an average number of miles per tank?

It does seem like that last 1/4 tank goes fast but so far the MPG since I reset it is hovering around 43 so that seems pretty decent but if I estimate that I'll be at 40mpg that only gives me 200ish miles on a tank while at times if I did the math on the trip plus the range it can say as much as almost 300. I'm just always paranoid about running out of gas so I look at this a lot.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
If the Vaquero gas gauge is as finicky as the Voyager gauge it'll creep down to just below half a tank then start dropping off quickly. I've been tracking my numbers as long as I've had my Voyager and the most I've ever gotten between rides was around 190 miles at about 4.8 Gal. But there have been times when I've put in nearly as much fuel and only gone 150 (or less with a trailer). Once you get a good idea about what affects your MPG you can forget that gauge all together and just use the trip meter.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Once the light comes on, and stays on, you have about a gallon left. I've had it come on and go back off 3-4 times at times before staying on steady. I average around 37.5-39.6 on my Voyager with baffles drilled, air kit, and gman fuel controller. Get between 150-160 before light on steady.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I get a consistent 200 miles per tank cruising on the hwy about 2500 RPM. I don't even bother with the fuel light anymore as it fluctuates so much. I used to carry a small plastic gas can in my saddle bag until I got a handle on my range.....don't bother anymore

·
Registered
138 Posts
im about the same as dlars i get 350 klm which equates to about 220 miles when the light comes on i can get anothe 50 klm out of it but its almost dry when i fill if i do
also running pcv with auto tune ,have found it makes a big difference in power and fuel

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the Vaquero gas gauge is as finicky as the Voyager gauge it'll creep down to just below half a tank then start dropping off quickly. I've been tracking my numbers as long as I've had my Voyager and the most I've ever gotten between rides was around 190 miles at about 4.8 Gal. But there have been times when I've put in nearly as much fuel and only gone 150 (or less with a trailer). Once you get a good idea about what affects your MPG you can forget that gauge all together and just use the trip meter.
In my limited experience with it I'd have to say it is just as finicky as what you describe, stays full for a long time and then the next thing you know it is half and then on E. So far I'm finding the gages to be useless. The gas gage is too volatile and the light is the boy who cried wolf and I'm pretty sure I can get another 30-40 miles once it annoyingly and distractingly comes on but it freaks me out too much to try it. They should have a caution light when it first comes on and then only get annoying when you are down to a half gallon.

I reset my trip at every fill and I think I can get a minimum of 200 miles on a tank and maybe on up to 220 or so if I want to live on the edge. Maybe if I quit stomping the gas I could get even more.

·
Registered
79 Posts
pretty much 180ish, but i do A LOT of hard acceleration and usually cruise at 70-75-80 and have been known to jump to 100+ sporadically during the daily commute to get around some slow tool bag in the HOV lane...

the dummy meeter on the bike says 43.5mpg

i really hate the no gauge when you are "50 miles till empty"

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
The first full tank of gas for this past Sunday's ride went 203.6 GPS miles and I put 4.611 gallons in for an average of 44.15 mpg, the skoots mpg display showed 46 mpg. B4 getting to the gas station I had the gas light/warning blink on then off once.

I have found that when the low gas display goes solid and stays on I will reset trip b and have gone 20 or so miles more for that tank to receive at least 5.1 gallons or more to fill up.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
281 Posts
The first full tank of gas for this past Sunday's ride went 203.6 GPS miles and I put 4.611 gallons in for an average of 44.15 mpg, the skoots mpg display showed 46 mpg. B4 getting to the gas station I had the gas light/warning blink on then off once.

I have found that when the low gas display goes solid and stays on I will reset trip b and have gone 20 or so miles more for that tank to receive at least 5.1 gallons or more to fill up.

RACNRAY
I got pretty good gas mileage on Sundays ride too Ray, mostly because we kept the ride civil and did not hit any high speeds except when you and Goldwing Lee took off. LOL I averaged around 42 mpg. I would say.:D Honestly even if I got 15 mpg that ride was worth it. Hopefully we can do it again soon.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
I got pretty good gas mileage on Sundays ride too Ray, mostly because we kept the ride civil and did not hit any high speeds except when you and Goldwing Lee took off. LOL I averaged around 42 mpg. I would say.:D Honestly even if I got 15 mpg that ride was worth it. Hopefully we can do it again soon.
KEN...get urself a GPS with trip function to calculate mileage traveled. The mpg display on a stock skoot can be off, and skoots with a FI tuner will be even further off. I realized this awhile back and started using a GPS cuz the numbers just didn't match. Rear tire wear influences the mpg readout and when you change tires it'll get all screwed up again!

Lee was definitely itchin to let that Wing have some reins (but not to brag) when we hit that curvy hilly road b4 our last gas stop I WUZ GONE!!! After a couple of curves he was no longer in my mirrors! He was quite impressed when we stopped at the stop sign at the end of that road. With all the suspension/handling mods I have done this Vaq just rails!!!

Course I kinda know the road (have to be a bit honest and humble here).

I still gotta take u'all on our River Road ride, maybe a bit later start and lunch at a great BBQ place in Labelle. And you got some rides u'all go on so keep me in mind.

Startin this Sunday and for just about every other Sunday after I will be fulfilling a commitment as a mentor for a young boy in a mentorship program for kids in need of a positive male role model. I never had kids, didn't want them (the woman I eventually married[and divorced] also didn't want kids so I had the noogies disconnected 20+ years ago).

One of the most influential and priceless experiences in my life (occurred after my divorce) was to be involved in a 4 year relationship with a woman that had 2 young boys. That relationship eventually ended but the one thing I missed the most was how God had opened my heart to being, well, like a Dad. So I'll be able to do all day or long rides every other Sunday.

CYA SOON!!!

RACNRAY

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
On my Voyager I can still go 80 miles before I run out when the get gas light comes on if I slow down to 55/60 ish. Mine comes on at 1/4 tank...I have ran out 4 times just to see how far it will go. It is right at 80 miles. I always have extra gas with me. A habit from living in central Nevada where the gas stations are 100/160 miles apart....

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Ahhhh the N river road is my favorite. Good food at big V in labell. I'm sure you'd love to have the Buda out there. When I lived in ft myers, it was a twice a month ride

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
I was also just over
42 mpg on the Sunday rode albeit it is unofficial

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't know how in the world you guys are getting that much gas mileage. I rode straight up I-95 from NC to Florida and the most I could get was about 140 miles before my gas light popped on

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
It seem everything from your weight to weather or not a gnat farts in front of you can effect mileage. a head wind verses a tailwind of only 10-15 mph can change your mpg quite a bit. The biggest are probably how its tuned and how hard you twist the throttle.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
I don't know how in the world you guys are getting that much gas mileage. I rode straight up I-95 from NC to Florida and the most I could get was about 140 miles before my gas light popped on
SEE BELOW...

It seem everything from your weight to weather or not a gnat farts in front of you can effect mileage. a head wind verses a tailwind of only 10-15 mph can change your mpg quite a bit. The biggest are probably how its tuned and how hard you twist the throttle.
Or when I fart, ya know the jet propulsion affect!

But u r right on all accounts. Our skoots are so un-aerodynamic that the higher speeds really kills the mpg.

No matter what kinda gas mileage we get it's the "smiles per gallon" that's the mostest importantist!

RACNRAY

·
Registered
235 Posts
SEE BELOW...

Or when I fart, ya know the jet propulsion affect!

But u r right on all accounts. Our skoots are so un-aerodynamic that the higher speeds really kills the mpg.

No matter what kinda gas mileage we get it's the "smiles per gallon" that's the mostest importantist!

RACNRAY
So it WAS the BBQ beans that got me that 47 MPG on my last road trip! :D

Seriously though If your gas has ethanol in it your mileage goes down about 10 - 15 percent. I went on a 3,000 mile trip up through Colorado Yellowstone and back down to Phoenix only used pure gas no ethanol I got 47.8 MPG But I learned a long time ago to just fill it up when your down to a quarter tank or at least start looking for a gas station.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I could get was about 140 miles before my gas light popped on
my light pops on at 150ish, and usually get about 180 before i fill up

·
Registered
701 Posts
Don't feel bad I'm in the same boat as you. My light comes on around 130 miles to the tank. At that point if I gas up I'll put in 4-4.3 gallons. Which gives me a whopping 30mpg. The most i've pushed it to was 150 miles then it took 4.6-4.8 gallons. My bike has pretty much been like this from new. The best mileage I ever got was 34mpg's, but I had to drive it like grandma on Quaalude's...lol That is just not my style. So station hoping I go.

Ray I'm sorry I missed that ride. I hope to go on the next one.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
I can go about 125miles before light comes on when driving interstates; 135-140miles if driving back roads/hiways under 60Mph. Have never really pushed it past 150miles. When I fill up it is usually at 3.7-3.9 gallons. Only once have I put in more than 4.0 gallons. I may do what Bubba does one time and carry a gallon of gas with me and push it all the way til dry just to see how much further it will go so that I have that KB.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts