Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just would like to say I'm trading in my Vaquero for something more comfortable for my wife who has now decided she enjoys riding. I would like to say to everyone one on the forum I did not chime in that much but was on here reading everyday. I thank all of you for you input and knowledge you share with one another it's priceless. I have learned so much about this bike from some really great people all over the world who share so much and ask for nothing in return. What a great group of riders and I will still be coming back and seeing what is going on in the Vulcan forums.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Not much more comfortable then a Kawasaki Voyager.Maybe a Victory Vision or Goldwing might be a smoother ride.I tried a bunch of cruisers before my wife picked the Voyager,mostly because she felt secure by the way the back cushion wrapped around her.The Harley.s passenger area was too tight to the drivers area,the Vision was not to her taste,and the cross country tours she felt were a harder ride.But hey I know the Vaquero seat cushions are a bit on the hard side compared to the Voyager seating,as I have the Vaquero Solo seat I use when I remove the trunk and pretend I am on a Vaquero.LOL

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,849 Posts
30 years ago I had a 71 SS Camaro that was incredible. My wife made me sell it right after we got married.

So I guess it comes down to which your more fond of the wife or the bike.

I should of kept the Camaro.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Funny old World, I've just gone to a Vaquero so my better half is More comfortable. Mind you she's use to being on the back of a Softail Harley, which is harsh to say the least.

Good luck with the new ride. I have a lot of miles under my belt on a ST1100, and can only imagine a Goldwing would be more of the same only better.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well thanks, I made the mistake of taking her to the dealer to sit on a touring bike. Salesman came out and asked if we wanted to test drive it, my wife talked me into it. He checked it out, put a half tank of gas in it and told us to go for a ride. No time or mileage limit just rode around for 45 minutes on some back roads and highways. Loved it and now getting one.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Funny how different we all are. I can't ride a Goldwing -- wide tank and footpegs farther back then Voyager, and I've got a hip-flexability problem.

Goldwings are the utlimate touring bike if they fit you well, so enjoy.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I slung a leg over my buddy's older Goldwing with the intention of taking it for a ride and found out rather quickly that its too wide for me. Never got as far as taking it for that ride.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Good luck with that Goldwing.
I had bought a new 2003 Wing abs and owned it for three years before I went back to a Valkyrie. Super smooth and fast. Kind of higher revving on the highway. It could have used a sixth gear, as it had enough torque to support one.
After owning it, and then owning the Valk for another three, I moved to my 2010 Nomad. No more flat sixes for me.
The comfort difference for me with the v-twin made me a convert for life. I just couldn't take the wide leg spread positioning of the flat six design any longer. The difficulty in locating highway pegs was only exasperated by the width and confinement of the cylinders. I went with the Mick-o-Pegs because they would actually allow your feet to be lower instead of wider.
Be sure to keep all that plastic waxed up good, cause the bugs stains will leave marks on the fairing if you dont.
Best of luck to you!

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Rusty.... have your wife sit on the back of a Venture that has the pillow seat. It is more comfortable than the Wing. I had both. The floorboards on the Venture are more comfortable than the Voyager/Vaquero to boot.... Once you had floor boards, pegs suck on a 600 mile day..... or 1100 mile nonstop which I have done many many times... (Clovis NM and Tonopah NV) 20 or so times a back and forth a year, all non stop except for gas. For 10 years it was on a 2002 Venture pulling a trailer. Once on a 83 Honda Silverwing... but only once... that was a REAL Iron Butt ride....

The only reason I did not get a new Venture was because I wanted to try a large FI scoot. If they FI the Venture..... I will probably go back to it if I can afford it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ridgeman06 is on the money. Put 50k on a new 06 Wing. Wife loved it. Me, not so much. No where to move on the seat, legs uncomfortable after 5 hours in the saddle. Forget about highway pegs unless your body has conformed to your days as a rodeo rider. Other than the dreaded front-end wobble at mid-speeds, no mechanical issues whatsoever. Last but not least, the most ..."un-motorcycle experience" I've ever had on a motorcycle. May as well buy a trailer hitch right off the bat and tow your boat AND camper. Moved to a Vulcan Classic, have not looked back. Cannot say the same for wife. (She can fly and meet me there - enough is enough.) Much-written about The Wing from guys who have spent the major bucks and not wanted to admit to its short comings. My guess is that you'll miss the Kawasaki in short order, but I wish you the best.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow interesting feedback and Bubba I would look at the Venture but no carbs for me. I have not signed on the line yet and the decision was between 2 bikes, Gold Wing and Cross Country tour. The Victory I wrote off because of lack of dealer/factory support and horrible resale, kind a like I'm getting on my Vaquero. Did not look at Harley, have a friend with a ultra classic and my trucks nick name is HRV, Harley rescue vehicle, always being called to pick him up at the shop. So the Honda was test rode and liked it, maybe I need to ride again. I do know I can adapt to how vehicles are, I geuss I'm easy to please been in the same truck for 17 years so the foot position may be a problem, we'll have to see. I do know several riders in group I ride with and 2 of them sold their Wings and said they could not wait to buy another one, both did. I think every bike has short comings some more than others so again I will take all comments and do some more thinking before signing on the line.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Thats the way to do it. Ride as many as you can, especially if a friend has one your thinking about. When our group went on a ride we swapped rides for a while as our typical Saturday lunch run was minimum 400 miles. Due to where we lived.

We had a bit of everything. Beemers, Yamahas mostly, Kawasaki, HD, Honda and two Victory Visions. I didn't care for the Visions.... they are OK but not for me. But what I like others may hate, and that's a good thing. Otherwise we would all be driving Hugos and riding Cushman motor scooters. Both of which I have had. One I would recommend to have, one not to have...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Rusty, I dont want to only point out the negatives with the Wing I had. I did put 18000 miles on it before I decided to sell.
My time frame was when Honda was going thru the frame cracking disaster. I did not have any cracking, but did have to have the frame re-welded under warranty.
The bike was reliable as the sunrise. I liked the single sided swingarm when it came to tire changes too.
Comfort was the biggest drawback. Even though I rode a lot, I never could go long without stopping due to the confinment of the engine and seating. That big seat sure looked comfortable, but it wasn't for me.
The addition of the Mick-o-Pegs helped because I could finally stretch out somewhat without spreading my legs so much. These pegs are spring loaded and allow your feet to go down and not out. They are only good on the highway or straight roads though.
I did get tired of the plastic rattles, and speaker grilles flying off the bike.
Good luck to you in whatever you decide, Eric

·
Registered
386 Posts
Seems to me that a few are sorry to see you leave the Kawasaki brand.
Had a few similar when I posted on the Harley forum I was buying a 'Metric' ha ha.
I'm sure that you'll enjoy your new ride, and I know from experience that the Honda build quality is first class, at least it was on my fleet bike, and on my personal Honda a few years ago.
As for the comfort issue a few have raised, well, I have had to make a few changes to my Harley to get comfortable for long distances, and my Vaquero has only got about 100 miles on the clock and I'm already waiting for the Mustang seat to be delivered.
I took a gamble and ordered my Vaquero without even seeing one, let alone test riding.
You''l be fine.

:D

·
Registered
573 Posts
30 years ago I had a 71 SS Camaro that was incredible. My wife made me sell it right after we got married.

So I guess it comes down to which your more fond of the wife or the bike.

I should of kept the Camaro.
TRUTH I think I am about to have my seat reworked by a trim shop in town and i am not worried one bit how it will effect my old lady

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Keef, you will find the Mustang seat much better than stock. That was one upgrade on my Vaquero that really paid off and I'm selling it to another Vaquero rider here in town. Look at Ray's throttle mod, he stocks both ISO grips and Avon I believe, it helped quite a bit with the throttle performance.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks Keef, you will find the Mustang seat much better than stock. That was one upgrade on my Vaquero that really paid off and I'm selling it to another Vaquero rider here in town. Look at Ray's throttle mod, he stocks both ISO grips and Avon I believe, it helped quite a bit with the throttle performance.
Hey Rusty, I've read all this great feedback and just had to put my $.02 in. I've owned over 40 motorcycles in my life so far,(still not sure what I'll end up on). I didn't start riding H.D. till '94 because of the stigma and problem history. I've owned a 1st generation V-92 Victory in '00 and it was one of the best riding bikes I've owned. Had a '06 Road King last year and loved it. Last week I stopped by the local H.D. dealership since I hadn't been there in months, and fell in love with the Street Glide. My preference is the H.D. if I were going to invest +$20k in a bike without a doubt. Any dealer will let you demo their bike if you're seriously considering a purchase. My suggestion is to try the H.D. before you jump on anything else. I wouldn't rule out the Victory, that Cross Country is awesome! Try them all,(they all depreciate)! Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts