Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate the stock seat on my Vaquero as after an hour or less I start feeling discomfort and it doesn't help that I'm a heavyweight so I'm looking for a solution but I don't want to save my butt pain so someone can rape me on an overpriced seat.

I've searched around and I don't see a lot of opinions on the Kaw gel seat? Is there more than one, if so what is better? Do they even compare to the mustang and corbins?

I was planning on using this local guy who fixes the stock seat up with some memory foam but I've seen that these gel seats can be had for reasonable prices if you look hard enough. Two local dealers have recommended the seat guy and I'm guessing he is going to charge somewhere in the $75-$150 range, I haven't called him yet and he doesn't have a web site or anything to know for sure but if it is more than that then I probably won't do it. But if I could just drop $100-$150 on a gel seat and not have to risk not liking the guys work or waiting on him to do it then that may be the easiest way to go.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
If you ever found yourself on this side of the state I've got one you could try! Would even let it leave with you for a good price. (Not interested in shipping it right now). I think there's a gel solo seat too but this one is the two-up one with a wider and thicker passenger portion than stock.

I ended up going with a Mustang seat but the Kawi gel seat was a marked improvement over the stocker. It is a lot firmer and sits you up higher. The firmer helps give support that the stock seat lacks. A backrest helps me, too. When I had the gel seat on I added a grasshopper backrest.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would recommend the Mustang One-Piece Wide Touring Seat with Driver Backrest and Receiver for Passenger Backrest (yes it will cost more than gel but WORTH every penny). It is very comfortable. My o'l lady was not having that skimpy excuse for a passenger seat that the bike came with. I LOVE the new seat and it goes very well with floorboard mounted pegs! I'd attach a pic but don't know how yet. Check it out in my profile picture. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you ever found yourself on this side of the state I've got one you could try! Would even let it leave with you for a good price. (Not interested in shipping it right now). I think there's a gel solo seat too but this one is the two-up one with a wider and thicker passenger portion than stock.

I ended up going with a Mustang seat but the Kawi gel seat was a marked improvement over the stocker. It is a lot firmer and sits you up higher. The firmer helps give support that the stock seat lacks. A backrest helps me, too. When I had the gel seat on I added a grasshopper backrest.
I was just bidding on ebay on a mustang seat and I had high hopes as I had the high bid for a while at $310 but I got outbid in the last hours, I wasn't going to go much higher anyways. Who knows I might be content with the gel seat but I'm hopeful that I'll run across a deal on a mustang but if you make me an offer I can't refuse you'll give me a great excuse to ride out to the side of the state with the second best baseball team :devil2:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would recommend the Mustang One-Piece Wide Touring Seat with Driver Backrest and Receiver for Passenger Backrest (yes it will cost more than gel but WORTH every penny). It is very comfortable. My o'l lady was not having that skimpy excuse for a passenger seat that the bike came with. I LOVE the new seat and it goes very well with floorboard mounted pegs! I'd attach a pic but don't know how yet. Check it out in my profile picture. Hope this helps.
I just had the high bid on ebay on that seat and I thought I was going to get it for $310 but I just can't see paying $600+ for a seat. I think I've seen some vendors selling them without the backrest for like $450ish and that is tempting but I've got a couple of other things I'd like to get on it too so I don't want to break the bank on one thing right now.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Second best baseball team? Boy thems fightin' words!

Best price on eBay right now, with shipping, is $200. The grasshopper backrest sells for $100.

How about $150 for the seat, $180 with the backrest. And I'd be more than willing to let you take it for a "test ride" on your bike. It's got the bracket on it so it's an easy pop on pop off. I'll even show you some great roads if you come on the right day. If it sucks well throw it in my basement. If you like it it's all yours. Dunno what we'll do about your stock seat though.

I'm sure we could work something out. Heck if you came all the way out here you could try the Mustang seat too. It's not for sale but it'll give you an idea before you spend money.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Second best baseball team? Boy thems fightin' words!

Best price on eBay right now, with shipping, is $200. The grasshopper backrest sells for $100.

How about $150 for the seat, $180 with the backrest. And I'd be more than willing to let you take it for a "test ride" on your bike. It's got the bracket on it so it's an easy pop on pop off. I'll even show you some great roads if you come on the right day. If it sucks well throw it in my basement. If you like it it's all yours. Dunno what we'll do about your stock seat though.

I'm sure we could work something out. Heck if you came all the way out here you could try the Mustang seat too. It's not for sale but it'll give you an idea before you spend money.
Lol I can actually call the birds the second best team in the state and not get laughed at this year.

I've been looking at seats all night and I'm kind of on info overload. I almost pulled the trigger on the mustang for $450, if I had found it a little cheaper I probably would have popped, and I even started looking at the dual corbin. Some people on the other Vulcan site said the gel is a waste of money while everyone seems to love the mustang so I'm starting to lean towards it. I'll let you know if I decide to go with the gel but for now I'm going to keep scouring the web for the best price on the mustang, oh if my bid would have stood for $310 grrr.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Lol I can actually call the birds the second best team in the state and not get laughed at this year.

I've been looking at seats all night and I'm kind of on info overload. I almost pulled the trigger on the mustang for $450, if I had found it a little cheaper I probably would have popped, and I even started looking at the dual corbin. Some people on the other Vulcan site said the gel is a waste of money while everyone seems to love the mustang so I'm starting to lean towards it. I'll let you know if I decide to go with the gel but for now I'm going to keep scouring the web for the best price on the mustang, oh if my bid would have stood for $310 grrr.

Yeah the thing about these seats is that different ones work for different people. The Mustang works great for me but it's very firm and the covering (vinyl) is a very hard vinyl that can be uncomfortable at times when you're sweaty. BUT, the trade off is that it gives good support and doesn't cause numbness or tailbone pain for me. With the stock seat I got tailbone pain in 20 minutes and with the gel seat, after about 45 minutes.

Most of the time, bidding on eBay items comes in those last hours. Those seats are in high demand. Even used would be hard to find for super cheap, really. But they are good seats.

It really is a shame there isn't a place to try or rent them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah the thing about these seats is that different ones work for different people. The Mustang works great for me but it's very firm and the covering (vinyl) is a very hard vinyl that can be uncomfortable at times when you're sweaty. BUT, the trade off is that it gives good support and doesn't cause numbness or tailbone pain for me. With the stock seat I got tailbone pain in 20 minutes and with the gel seat, after about 45 minutes.

Most of the time, bidding on eBay items comes in those last hours. Those seats are in high demand. Even used would be hard to find for super cheap, really. But they are good seats.

It really is a shame there isn't a place to try or rent them.
That's exactly the problem I'm having and I don't think it helps that I'm a heavyweight. My ass goes numb after about 30 mins and I start squirming to find a comfortable position on the seat. On the one long group ride I did, on a very hot day, it got pretty uncomfortable.

I was ready to try that gel seat to save some money but after some research I have a strong feeling that it would only be a nominal improvement and I would end up still wanting a new seat so the cheap would come out expensive. I don't know if it is just all the high praise it gets but I've examined picture of the mustang and it just looks more comfortable like you sit in it vs on it and that just looks more comfortable.

I've found the mustang at relaxingventures.com for 419 for the seat and 593 with the backrest and I'm almost ready to pull the trigger unless I run into a better price, no more mods for me after this unless I have a good day at the poker table. I'm mad I didn't think about this before I spend 570 on the passenger back rest cuz I could have got the whole thing for like 700 but at least I'll have more bars to bungee to should I need them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts