Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just hit 1300 miles on my 2011 Vaquero I bought this spring and decided to give her a bath. I'm washing the fairing and notice the right side seems loose??? I look closer and notice a crack along the bottom edge between the fairing and lowers. It appears this goes all the way around on to the inside where the bolt is that holds the fairing on. It appears the plastic where the bolt goes through the fairing isn't even there?? Is this something the warranty will cover to repair? I assume the entire fairing will need replaced? I'll attach a pic but it is pretty hard to see.

Thanks,

Jerry

Attachments

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
It would be warranty unless they can find some way of putting the blame on you. Depends on your relationship with your dealer.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Find a good dealer. You don't HAVE to get warranty work done at the dealer you bought the bike from. Find a dealer who will work with you!

My wifes bike had a dud battery 2 months from new. Completely toast, internal short I guess. The dealer I bought it from said no dice. They said Honda only warranties batteries 30 days from new, even though the bike has a 5 year warranty. I was bummed but, I suppose it makes sense. It's very easy to trash a new battery by discharging it! (Although that's not what happened!).

Anyway, I talked to another shop closer to home. The OEM battery was like $170 so I checked the place closer to see if they had one cheaper. I talked to the parts guy, he came out with a battery and said "here ya go". At first I was annoyed thinking "No, dude, I wanted a price!" and I said "Okay, how much". "Nothing, it's only two months old right?". I told him what the other dealer said, and he just told me "We'll find a way to get our money", insinuating they know some loophole or some way to get Honda to pay for the part. Wow! So the dealer I bought two bikes, helmets, gear, parts, tools, accessories from (a big big dealership) said no-way no-how, and a dealer I've not spent a dime in bent the rules AND took the risk (If Honda says no they are out, not me, they gave me the battery BEFORE making the claim). Needless to say, that place (which is closer anyway) is where I go now for everything.

Anyway; just throwing that out there. If one dealer says no, see if you can find one that says yes. Though I can't imagine a crack like that not be covered.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Find a good dealer. You don't HAVE to get warranty work done at the dealer you bought the bike from. Find a dealer who will work with you!

My wifes bike had a dud battery 2 months from new. Completely toast, internal short I guess. The dealer I bought it from said no dice. They said Honda only warranties batteries 30 days from new, even though the bike has a 5 year warranty. I was bummed but, I suppose it makes sense. It's very easy to trash a new battery by discharging it! (Although that's not what happened!).

Anyway, I talked to another shop closer to home. The OEM battery was like $170 so I checked the place closer to see if they had one cheaper. I talked to the parts guy, he came out with a battery and said "here ya go". At first I was annoyed thinking "No, dude, I wanted a price!" and I said "Okay, how much". "Nothing, it's only two months old right?". I told him what the other dealer said, and he just told me "We'll find a way to get our money", insinuating they know some loophole or some way to get Honda to pay for the part. Wow! So the dealer I bought two bikes, helmets, gear, parts, tools, accessories from (a big big dealership) said no-way no-how, and a dealer I've not spent a dime in bent the rules AND took the risk (If Honda says no they are out, not me, they gave me the battery BEFORE making the claim). Needless to say, that place (which is closer anyway) is where I go now for everything.

Anyway; just throwing that out there. If one dealer says no, see if you can find one that says yes. Though I can't imagine a crack like that not be covered.
Thats a good deal. I have a dealer just like yours.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies so far guys. The dealer I bought the bike from is just over an hour away. There is another dealer about 20 minutes away that I am going to check with first simply because they are closer. I would have bought the bike at the closer dealership but they didn't have any Vaquero's for sale at the time. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Good Luck!!!!

·
Registered
481 Posts
I really doubt there will be a problem getting this covered. They'll just look to make sure there is no signs of trauma to the area. I had a bag crack on my 2009 Venture and Yamaha covered it w/o a problem. Yamaha and Honda in my experience are harder to deal with when it comes to warranty issues.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took the bike to the local dealer on June 24th. First thing out of the service guy's mouth was 'Did you buy the bike here?". Dealer looked it over, took my info, and said they would call it into to Kawasaki and get back to me. Its been a week to the day today and I haven't heard anything from the dealer. I call in and am told they tried to call Kawasaki on June 28th but weren't able to reach them???? They said they would 'try' again today. That was a few hours ago and still nothing? Am I being impatient? I use this bike everyday to commute to work and am afraid the crack is going to spread. Do I just suck it up and try another dealer?

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you have to, ask to speak to the service mgr. Had to do that to get a mirror replaced under warranty. I got tired of the same excuses from the parts guy.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you have to, ask to speak to the service mgr. Had to do that to get a mirror replaced under warranty. I got tired of the same excuses from the parts guy.

Unfortunately the service manager is who I talked to on the phone today.....

·
Registered
481 Posts
I took the bike to the local dealer on June 24th. First thing out of the service guy's mouth was 'Did you buy the bike here?". Dealer looked it over, took my info, and said they would call it into to Kawasaki and get back to me. Its been a week to the day today and I haven't heard anything from the dealer. I call in and am told they tried to call Kawasaki on June 28th but weren't able to reach them???? They said they would 'try' again today. That was a few hours ago and still nothing? Am I being impatient? I use this bike everyday to commute to work and am afraid the crack is going to spread. Do I just suck it up and try another dealer?
That shouldn't matter if you got the bike there or not, they still get paid to do the service work. Sounds like that dealer can't get the big idea. They should look at this as a chance to WOW you with fantastic service to earn your business for the next bike purchase. Happy customers will send 2 to 3 friends, unhappy customers will tell 10 to 15 of their friends not to go to that business. I've seen shops like the one you're in, I don't do business with them, go to another shop. Mother Kaw has no problem taking care of warranty issues.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Unfortunately the service manager is who I talked to on the phone today.....
Update.....dealer called and said they spoke to Kawasaki and they wanted some pictures of the crack before they made a decision. The service guy said he didn't think there would be an issue with the covering under warrenty but Kawasaki needed pics first. I took the bike yesterday to the dealer, they took the pics and said they would get back to me. We shall see.......

·
Registered
701 Posts
Update.....dealer called and said they spoke to Kawasaki and they wanted some pictures of the crack before they made a decision. The service guy said he didn't think there would be an issue with the covering under warrenty but Kawasaki needed pics first. I took the bike yesterday to the dealer, they took the pics and said they would get back to me. We shall see.......
This is normal procedure for kawasaki for warranty claims like this. I guess they have had a lot of false claims in the past from dealers. Unlike auto mfgs where they come to the dealers and go over records, then they kick back bad claims and change policies when they get out of hand. This costs dealers a lot of money in the end. Bike sales just don't have the volume of cars sales, then they would be covered under the lemon laws and not considered recreational vehicles.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Warranty repairs, have "nothing" to do with where you purchased your bike!! Please remember this wherever you take it for service!! Actually, ANY service dept. should welcome you with open arms, as you could very possibly be future sales & service for them!!!,,,,

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Warranty repairs, have "nothing" to do with where you purchased your bike!! Please remember this wherever you take it for service!! Actually, ANY service dept. should welcome you with open arms, as you could very possibly be future sales & service for them!!!,,,,
+1, and they get paid! They get paid what they bill! I had recall work done at a dealer and the bike was in the shop for 45 minutes while one guy looked at a couple of things and replaced one recalled part. He gave me the 'bill' (which showed a balance due of $0.00 as it was billed to Kawasaki) and it was $700! That's money in their pocket! (Granted there was probably a few hundred in parts as well since it was an ECU replacement but still).

If you came in and said "I wanna pay you to fix this for me" they wouldn't mind where you bought it, so why does it matter if it's a warranty job? They still get paid! Don't let them make you think they are doing you a favor. They aren't. You paid for that service when you bought the bike.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, Kawasaki finally decided to replace the fairing under warranty. Dealer got the part in and started working on the bike yesterday. I get a call in the afternoon about a problem they encountered. When they removed the original fairing, they said it appears 'someone' tried a plastiweld type repair where the crack originated. I'm thinking they think I was the one who attempted a repair?!?! They said they had to report this to Kawasaki but intended on completing the repair. They also found several dampeners & bolts missing that attach the fairing?!?!?! Because of this they had to order additional parts that may be in by Friday. I don't know what to think about this. Before I took the brand new bike home from the dealer I had them install driving lights so they had the fairing off then. I also had the same original dealer perform the initial 600 mile service where they supposedly check every bolt. So did the original dealer know about the crack and try a plastiweld repair? I don't know but I hope there are no other surprises yet to find on this bike. Stuff like this makes me sick and now I question buying this bike. Hopefully everything will work out in the end. What a pain in the butt!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Well, Kawasaki finally decided to replace the fairing under warranty. Dealer got the part in and started working on the bike yesterday. I get a call in the afternoon about a problem they encountered. When they removed the original fairing, they said it appears 'someone' tried a plastiweld type repair where the crack originated. I'm thinking they think I was the one who attempted a repair?!?! They said they had to report this to Kawasaki but intended on completing the repair. They also found several dampeners & bolts missing that attach the fairing?!?!?! Because of this they had to order additional parts that may be in by Friday. I don't know what to think about this. Before I took the brand new bike home from the dealer I had them install driving lights so they had the fairing off then. I also had the same original dealer perform the initial 600 mile service where they supposedly check every bolt. So did the original dealer know about the crack and try a plastiweld repair? I don't know but I hope there are no other surprises yet to find on this bike. Stuff like this makes me sick and now I question buying this bike. Hopefully everything will work out in the end. What a pain in the butt!

Wow.

You know I'm normally not that guy to point fingers but this whole thing sounds like maybe someone worked on it, damaged it, plasti-welded it, and it wasn't until later that the crack spread and you noticed it?

I'd ask them to take pictures of any damage and inform them that you believe it was another Kawasaki dealer that attempted the repair.

I had a similar experience. My wife for my birthday years ago (then girlfriend) bought me a set of 4 speakers for my car, with installation included. Awesome! Didn't have to cut my fingers in 90 places getting those door panels off! So I took it in, they took an hour or so, and I left. A few weeks later, one of the speakers quit working. So I took the car back in, and the guy tells me "Yeah the guy who did your install was fired, he did a really bad job". So I asked them to check all 4 speakers, if that's the case, and they did.

So they called me back "I guess you tried to install these yourself first, huh?" "Um.. no. In fact I never even HAD the speakers, they were bought AND installed there", he says "Well, that's weird, because a bunch of these tabs on the doors are broken and it looks like it was glued back on." "YOU were the ones who had those panels off!"

After going back and forth, I found out the speakers were also not soldered in, just the wires wrapped around the terminals. But they STILL insisted on accusing ME of damaging the door, saying I must've tried to fix the speaker first before taking it in. Why on earth would I? This place had a lifetime guarantee. I'm not gonna lift a finger if it's under warranty and will be fixed for free! And this is all AFTER they tell me the technician was fired for doing shoddy work!

Anyway, after fighting with them for a while, they fixed all four speakers (soldered them in), AND spent a couple hundred bucks in parts from the GM dealer to get my door panels back the way they were supposed to be. Evidently this guy just yanked the door panels off and glued them back on so he didn't have to deal with the jigsaw puzzle that is removing those panels.

·
Registered
701 Posts
It definitely sounds like the selling dealer messed up the fairing during prep. I would let kawasaki know that as well after they ok the repair.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, dealer called today and said bike is done & ready to be picked up I went in, paid for my state inspection and that was the only charge. I asked if they had found anymore 'surprises', lol. The service manager chuckled, said no more and have a nice night. I'm so glad to have this behind me. Its nice when things work out for the best.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts