Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Vaquero with 9400 miles. I bought the bike new almost a year ago(may 3) When I first start off in 1st a hear a chattering noise like a rattlesnake but as soon as I get going it goes away. I was wondering if any of you hear this and What it might be? Other than that It's a great bike a lot more rideable than my 900 was.

·
Registered
64 Posts
No chatter here, have about same mileage on mine, but will listen more closely next ride. Is the sound obvious?

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Could he be talking about the lifters filling with oil when you start it up?
Never say 'never,' but I doubt it. Unless something is wrong, it takes quite some time for lifters to bleed out that much.

Do you have a general idea of where the sound is coming from. If the engine, what octane are you running in your fuel? Pinging? Who changed your oil last, and are you sure a motorcycle-rated oil was poured in? Clutch chatter? These are just guesses, I have almost the same amount of miles on my Vaquero, but no sound like you describe.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I change the oil myself and use kawasaki oil...all the time. its coming from the left side of the motor. its real quiet and not all the time. I run 92-93 octane gas.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Gee thanks, bigboy, you just shot all my ideas down in one post! :p

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Chatter???? Metallic noise? Chirping noise? Knocking?

Left side could be the belt or belt pulley mount too... or your lugging the engine.

Don't think is talking about noise on start up...

Will it do it if you lug it in other gears at low speed?

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
I would check the belt for OVER tightness. Very common.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Do you have a BAK air kit?the throttle body emits a bit of a chatter noise also when you first apply throttle which disappears when cruising.

·
Registered
440 Posts
i get birds churping when i lug it... i think it from that cheap plastic bib, when i change gears it makes a loud clunk in the gearbox..im with david , adjust your belt ,its real noisey from over tighten from the factory. :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
like I said its a rattle snake noise.....just when I start but at 10mph it stops...im not worried it probably just plastic .

·
BOTM Winner, July 2014
22 Posts
My money is on the plastic bib, exactly what mine sounded like. Just add some weather stripping at the end of the bib on each side near the front of the tank.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
My money is on the plastic bib, exactly what mine sounded like. Just add some weather stripping at the end of the bib on each side near the front of the tank.

Come to think of it, when I first got my Vaquero, it had that chatter, it was coming from the plastic tank bib.

The fix was buying and installing a nice leather tank bib to go underneath it, bought it from Sagebrush, and that eliminated that chattering.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone. I was going to weather strip my fairing pockets anyways.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Yes, the fairing pocket doors don't fit tight and do make noise, too. Weather stripping them tight works in killing the squeaking and keeps more water out of the pockets, too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts