Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2012 Vaquero I put a rear tire on after a damaging flat at 5k and now have close to 12k on the bike...I know I'm going to need a new rear maybe a new front. My qustion is what in all of your collective experiences is the best replacement for these bikes. I would like to aviod a car tire for the rear like some guys are doing. Let me have it. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Wow, just had to go and open that can of worms, didn't you? And you had to go and hurt the feelings of all those darksiders out there, you'll probably have to get into the WITSEC program! :D:

If you do a few searches, you'll quickly narrow down your list. Personally, I went with the Michelin Commander II. They are a new design, other riders have been getting very, very good mileage from them. As I commute over a hundred miles a day, I need the mileage! I have been very pleased so far.

I'm sure some of the other guys will be along shortly to add their two bits ...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm guessing you went with the 180/65-16? Or what size do you have? I ride 60 miles to and from work so mileage is a big cconcern.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
180/65-b16?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Im loving the Commander II with over 10K miles and plenty of tread.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you very much guys.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
On all my scoots I am trying the Shinko Tour Masters. I have a friend with a gen1 Voyager that gets 20-28k miles on them. I have one on the front of my Voyager with 6k miles on it and it still looks like the day I put it on.

My stock tires were bald at 5k miles...

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
I have almost 13,000 miles on a rear Michelin Commander II (180/65-16) and it looks like it will make it to at least 20,000. I have a Dunlop Elite III on the front, only because Michelin didn't have a 120/70-21 when I needed one. Now it's available, so the next front tire will be the Commander II.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Commander IIs front and rear, they last to close to 20,000 miles.

Lot of post here on this forum about them.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
^^^

Presume that's supposed to be 20,000?

If so, congrats to people getting that, but to me it seems almost inconceivable to get 20K from a MC tire. Are they a pretty flat profile, relatively speaking, to other MC tires?

·
Registered
636 Posts
^^^

Presume that's supposed to be 20,000?

If so, congrats to people getting that, but to me it seems almost inconceivable to get 20K from a MC tire. Are they a pretty flat profile, relatively speaking, to other MC tires?
Trust me they will. Hard as a rock !

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
You can see the propaganda about the Commander II here, along with pictures to see the profile. Many, many reports of 20k+ mileage. I'm testing that out now!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Dunlop American Elite 180 65B16. On my 2nd, first one got 23,000 miles. The one on now has 18,500 as of yesterday and still looking good. That's a rear tire. On the front, Dunlop E3, the E3 on the front gets over 20K too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm sure that extended mileage is not the only factor to be considered when choosing tires. What about performance? Rock hard 20,000 + tires can't corner very well, can they? How are those commanders in the rain, and stuff like that?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just did a 4000 mile trip out to Vegas and back....commander II on the rear had about 4000 miles on it when I left, Still looks great. Put a new commander II on the front just before I left and it looks the same after the first 4000 miles.
As for the hardness or softness of the tires.....the ride is great, noticable better than the stock bridgestones. Rode in extreem heat, rain, mountain switchbacks and all.
Never felt more secure on any other motorcycle tires. Just my two cents from my personal experience. Ride safe.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I'm sure that extended mileage is not the only factor to be considered when choosing tires. What about performance? Rock hard 20,000 + tires can't corner very well, can they? How are those commanders in the rain, and stuff like that?
The Dunlop American Elite is a dual compound tire. The center of the tire where we usually ride is harder rubber and the outer parts where we ride while in a curve is softer rubber for better traction. It handles great on dry pavement and in the rain as well. I turned over 19,000 miles on mine this weekend, the way it looks, it should do what the last one did and that's 23,000. I'm more than pleased with this tire.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I recently changed out my rear went with stock size and Shinko 777. The tire had a ton of really good reviews with people reporting 11-12k miles on rear. I've put 1,000 miles on mine since had it put on and I love. Price is right and handles great!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 20 Posts