Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Vaquero... Finally up to about 600 miles, and was curious what you other folks are seeing for MPGs. I have PCV, and V&H Pro-Pipe. I also wrapped the exhaust and added some water wetter to the fluid.

I just finished 108 mile ride and wanted to share my MPG results. I am getting 44.9 MPG. We average about 2k rpms and 50mph throughout the ride, and it is all country roads here in southwestern PA. I am pretty happy with the results considering the hills, the turns, and a lot of shifting throughout the day... and no cruise control was used.

SO what are you folks getting, and does this seem correct? again, I am very happy with it, and was just curious to see other folks results... and I am waiting to see what happens with an air kit!!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
That is pretty similar to what I get, BUT I have never compared the results from the computer to the actual fill-up at the gas pump and divided into the mileage from the odometer. I've read several posts on here from folks who have done this and it would seem the computer telling you what your average mpg is seems to be generous.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
That is pretty similar to what I get, BUT I have never compared the results from the computer to the actual fill-up at the gas pump and divided into the mileage from the odometer. I've read several posts on here from folks who have done this and it would seem the computer telling you what your average mpg is seems to be generous.
Seems to be very true. When i was running the stock size rear tire and comparing actual mpg by a calculator to the mpg meter on the skoot, there would often be a 4-6 mpg difference. Using gps and road side speed radars the speedo would be 5-6 mph off, reading faster than actual speed.

Since changing to a larger o.d rear tire the difference using those two methods is closer, the larger o.d. rear tire changing the mpg meter to read a bit more accurate. The larger rear tire was within one mph when new, now with over 12,000 mls on it's now about 2-3 mph off faster.

I found a thread from August 2011 bout a trip to Key West where i achieved the best mpg and mileage on a tank of gas up to that time.....

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18818

With the mods i have made since then and the recent tune i believe the mpg will prolly be a bit better, we shall see.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just got back from my 4220mi trip over the last couple of weeks. I reset my AVE Milage meter before I left. When I got back it read 45.9 for that 4220 trip. I just added up all my gas receipts for the trip and it came out to ~111gal for the trip and that is just over 38 MPG which is what I was mostly comming up with at the pump when filling up each time. Pretty big discression between what the bike says. My buddy with his 96in road glide was getting ~44MPG and he has a 6gal tank I hated being the limiter on when we needed to stop for fuel. The first tank of the trip I ran out going down the freeway. The fuel warning never came on and I had only 184 miles on the tank! I did notice the gauge down there but we were about to our first destination and we're about to get fuel soon. Fortunately we had been running straight and flat for the last 100 miles and we were comming in to town and I coasted off on to a off ramp. I tilted the bike to see if I could get some fuel over to the pickup and it fired up and we zipped over the overpass to a gas station. Whew! that was close after that I was gun shy on the fuel but the warning worked ever since. Since then I always fuel sitting on the bike with it standing upright and I choke it full of fuel within an inch of overflow. I had fueled it on the kickstand the first tank and it didn't get as filled as it should have.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
mileage

I have a 2011 Vaquero... Finally up to about 600 miles, and was curious what you other folks are seeing for MPGs. I have PCV, and V&H Pro-Pipe. I also wrapped the exhaust and added some water wetter to the fluid.

I just finished 108 mile ride and wanted to share my MPG results. I am getting 44.9 MPG. We average about 2k rpms and 50mph throughout the ride, and it is all country roads here in southwestern PA. I am pretty happy with the results considering the hills, the turns, and a lot of shifting throughout the day... and no cruise control was used.

SO what are you folks getting, and does this seem correct? again, I am very happy with it, and was just curious to see other folks results... and I am waiting to see what happens with an air kit!!!
I get a wide range of mileage; as low as mid 30's around town and jackrabbit starts, to as high as 52 mpg on the Blue Ridge Parkway doing 45-50 mph and babying the throttle.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Looks like I might be running a little richer. I am getting 38 to 42 mpg on trips. I am using a Cobra Fi2000. I have a K&N with punched stock exhaust. Could be the difference between the VV and the Classic map or a host of other reasons. Plugs looked ok when I checked them.

·
Registered
636 Posts
mpg

Rode 1030 miles a couple weekends ago and averaged 33mpg. That is at 80mph on the interstate. That was with a map in my pcv. I have been on a trip or to running without the pcv and the bike will get 38 to over 40 mpg. I actually think the bike runs better with a zero map in the pcv but it runs nucleur hot when running off the stock ecu!! I need to put an airbox on the bike and have it dynoed. Without the airbox any map in the pcv just kills the gas mileage!

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Same.... depending on how fast I am going. but actually checking when you fill up with a calculator will show some difference. That reading on the dash is not that accurate I have found.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mpg

I haven't reset the MPG display since day 1. With 3200 on the Vaquero, the MPG sits at 40.1. It started gaining steadily when I hit 2k on the odometer. At 2k it was sitting at 37.4.

Last weekend I did a 450 mile trip, added up the gallons, divided by the miles and came up with 43.2 MPG.

What I realized is that the only actual number I had was the gallons I used. The speedometer is off (like everyone's) so I am using more miles than actual to make my calculations.

My 2008 Yamaha 1100 speedometer was as accurate as my GPS. This Vaquero is going to save me a speeding ticket maybe.

Just loving the bike - heat and all.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I no longer trust the MPG calculation. When I do it on a calculator,after fillups I usually get in the high 30s, whereas the bike is telling me low 40s.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I no longer trust the MPG calculation. When I do it on a calculator,after fillups I usually get in the high 30s, whereas the bike is telling me low 40s.

This... the only way to have an accurate assessment of your MPG is to fill the tank to a consistent level and use your actual mileage to calculate it. My Vaquero was topped off again last night, I always reset my average MPG setting and trip meters at every fill up. She was claiming 48.5 MPG when I filled her back up, the real calculation was 39.8 MPG...

·
Registered
225 Posts
33 mpg

I drive mostly two up and last week did about five hundred miles in Rhode Island/Massachusettes area. First tank drove regular which is a little faster than speed limit using 6 gear, second tank dove a little slower didn't use 6 gear and third tank drove at speed limit and used sixth gear. Best mileage I achieved was 34. 2009 Nomad. I am amazed that people get over 40. I think I need a dyno tune.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I drive mostly two up and last week did about five hundred miles in Rhode Island/Massachusettes area. First tank drove regular which is a little faster than speed limit using 6 gear, second tank dove a little slower didn't use 6 gear and third tank drove at speed limit and used sixth gear. Best mileage I achieved was 34. 2009 Nomad. I am amazed that people get over 40. I think I need a dyno tune.
Is your bike stock or do you have a power commander and pipes ect ? My bike will not get over 33 mpg with a map in the power commander. Dosent matter what map I put in it. If I put a zero map in the power commander and run off the kawasaki ecu it will get around 40 mpg. I am not sure how a dyno tune will help. If fuel is added it gong to get less mileage no way around it. I am running a stock airbox with a k and n filter and vance and hines slipons. Also some of these folks are going off the read out on the dash of the voyager a vequero to see what mpg they are getting. I am going by mileage and gallons to fill tank. I assume so are you since the nomad dosent have a mpg readout does it? My readout says 40mpg and by checking it for real Im getting 33. The ecu has know idea there is more fuel added so it doesent adjust the mpg on the readout accordingly in my opinion. I might be wrong who knows?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I find the fuel I am using makes a big difrence in mileage. Big city gas (E10) gives me less mileage. When I get fuel from the country stores with out the alcohol aditive I run 5 to 10% beter mileage. My VV averages 35 to 40 MPG depending were I am driving.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Don't feel bad I get the same mileage out of my 2011 nomad. Now that I have pipes and fuel controller I only get around 30mpg. I have always wondered how other 1700 owners were getting 40+ mpg. The nomads EPA rating was only 36 mpg. Now I would get similar mileage to you that you get at the speeds you travel at. Down here 65++ is the norm and the mileage drops considerably.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My wife and I just finished a 2,500 km trip Saskatoon to Banff, Jasper and back to Saskatoon gas receipts worked out to 42.02 mpg (can)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Is your bike stock or do you have a power commander and pipes ect ? My bike will not get over 33 mpg with a map in the power commander. Dosent matter what map I put in it. If I put a zero map in the power commander and run off the kawasaki ecu it will get around 40 mpg. I am not sure how a dyno tune will help. If fuel is added it gong to get less mileage no way around it. I am running a stock airbox with a k and n filter and vance and hines slipons. Also some of these folks are going off the read out on the dash of the voyager a vequero to see what mpg they are getting. I am going by mileage and gallons to fill tank. I assume so are you since the nomad dosent have a mpg readout does it? My readout says 40mpg and by checking it for real Im
getting 33. The ecu has know idea there is more fuel added so it doesent adjust the mpg on the readout accordingly in my opinion. I might be wrong who knows?

I have V&H slip ons with PCV and thunder stock air. Using a map from someone here. Always check mileage by tank and alway round up, I am probably getting closer to 33mpg. The Nomad has a Mpg readout but I dont use it. I thought a custom map may help, lots of people say custom maps get better mpg and proformance. How does your motorcycle run with the zero map? Any difference? At least I am glad its not just me.lol.
I do wish i could get more than 150 miles out of a tank without feeling the panic and that FUEL blinking in my face.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
In stop and go traffic and some highway commuting (NYC area resident) I get mid to upper 30's with my Vaquero. Just came back from a 1600 mile trip and averaged 43-44 doing 40 mph or better with no stop and go. I have a Thunder Round intake, V&H twin slash slip-ons and PCV.

·
Registered
225 Posts
In stop and go traffic and some highway commuting (NYC area resident) I get mid to upper 30's with my Vaquero. Just came back from a 1600 mile trip and averaged 43-44 doing 40 mph or better with no stop and go. I have a Thunder Round intake, V&H twin slash slip-ons and PCV.
What map are you using? I am on Long Island also, let me know if you know of any shops that can dyno. Over 40mpg is amazing. I would be happy with 36.

·
Registered
234 Posts
None of the MPGs claimed in these posts mean anything unless u state whether you are using the MPG reading provided on the bike, or recalculating based on miles driven and gallons purchased!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts