Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So they Vaquero has 2 separate valves to fill the rear shocks separately. I changed out the two aluminum pieces that have the valves / hoses attached to with one unit that connects the two chambers together so you can add air to just one valve and have equal pressure in both shocks. Since I bought it from a guy who made it, I wanted to check for any slow leak, so let it sit for a day and rechecked pressure, and it was down 10psi, 12 hours later down another 5 psi.

Oh, and when I took off the originals, air was release and I can't tell you the last time I checked or added air...so the originals were working fine.

So I decide to put the originals back on. Pump them both to about 25psi using a bike hand pump, with the intention of using a tire gauge and rerleasing air to match them both at 20psi. Well, the originals, neither side, will now hold air... WTH??!! I check psi with gauge, counted to 10, rechecked and lost 10 psi.

I have never used anything but the hand pump, and have never put more than 25psi in. I tried both using thread tape and not, same results. I made sure the valve hadn't come lose.

I am at a loss, I just can't believe this little project went downhill so fast, it makes no sense to me.... HELP!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
kinda seems obvious, but I'll go ahead and ask it anyway: did you wrap any threaded fittings with teflon tape?

Also, probably not it--i'm just snowballing--but are the valve cores removeable? I'd probably check their tightness just to be sure.

Get ya a spray bottle and mix a solution of water and dish soap, fill the air shocks, and spray the assembly down. Look for bubbles. That'll at least give you a place to start.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I did use teflon tape.

It appears upon quick rechecking of pressure multiple times that just doing so loses 5psi, so maybe what I thought was a leak was just air being purged when using the tire gauge...maybe since such a small system that could be the case?

I pumped it up, left the pump with gauge attached and let sit, and it didn't lose air. Used the tire gauge and it was was about 4psi less than the pump gauge read, and about where I want it. So I guess I will assume it is there, because if I check it again it will lose air...

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
If you have a zero loss hand pump, why are you checking the pressure with a tire gauge?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have a zero loss hand pump, why are you checking the pressure with a tire gauge?
Not sure I have a zero loss pump, but you can barely here a very brief psss of airflow when disconnect. But the reason I was trying to check with my tire gauge (electronic / digital readout) is because the hand pump gauge can read upto 300psi, so due to the increments it isn't very accurate in the 0-30 range. I already owned it and needed it for my mountain bike forks...this one

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/RockShox-High-Pressure-Shock-Pump-300/dp/B005543YUE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368406109&sr=8-1&keywords=rock+shocks+pump[/ame]

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Not sure I have a zero loss pump, but you can barely here a very brief psss of airflow when disconnect. But the reason I was trying to check with my tire gauge (electronic / digital readout) is because the hand pump gauge can read upto 300psi, so due to the increments it isn't very accurate in the 0-30 range. I already owned it and needed it for my mountain bike forks...this one

http://www.amazon.com/RockShox-High-Pressure-Shock-Pump-300/dp/B005543YUE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368406109&sr=8-1&keywords=rock+shocks+pump
Wrong tool for the job. 0 - 60 PSI zero loss pump is what you should be using. http://www.powersportsplace.com/parts/pgr-gp3-60?seid=pspse1&gclid=CIbrhNP7kbcCFVBnOgodFF8AFQ I got mine at the local HD shop since my Kawi shop didn't carry it.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
851 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you do not want to go for a full new hand pump route then there is a zero loss adapter made by toppeak. Good luck finding it in any store because I have had no luck but I know amazon has it for like $7.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts