Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 2011 Vaquero so my wallet is still hurting from the purchase and sales tax but that doesn't stop me from dreaming or planning what I'd like to do to it in the future. I'm very happy with my bike but the cost to add things is so ridiculous I'm starting to think I should have negotiated harder on the ones with add ons. Any of you who have done these mods feel free to weigh in on what it ran you, or if you have a link to a good price that would be great too.

Passenger back rest
Aux charging port

Aux lights for the vents or otherwise

Saddle bag protectors

Tank bib or other pockets to place my ecigarette in so I can puff on it at stops

I don't have an IPod so if there is a way to get a an aux jack to use my android phone for music that would be great

Feel free to show me what else you have done

·
Registered
580 Posts
Most motorcycle accessories are not cheap. I usually find it's easier in the long run to get a bike with the basics, such as a windshield, highway bar, backrest, bags, etc. The things that a person is really picky about you can add later. I have used Cruiser Customizing quite a bit, as well as Kuryakyn and Thunder Manufacturing. I have also bought a lot off of eBay, there are endless options....good luck.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Oh, and post a picture of your bike will ya :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
only backrest is OEM, and its expensive.
Any waterproof aux charging port that is the same diameter as oem will fit. cycle gear has one thats usually on sale for $12.99 normally 24.99. fits in the stock hole

http://www.cyclegear.com/TRACKSIDE-12-Volt-Power-Adapter

for bag protectors look into laminx

get on ebay for the Kawi aux port, it will plug into your phones heaadphone jacl

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
The OEM 12v socket is only like $30 on Amazon, it's cheap. And it looks good and seems much better quality than the cheaper ones a lot of people like to use. IMHO!

The other stuff though; yeah, OEM accessories are really expensive.

eBay is full of Vaquero aux connectors that people make up and sell. That'll plug into your Android phones headphone jack. There is no way to have the song titles on the display or retain handlebar controls to change songs though unless you have an iPod. If you don't stream music (Pandora, Spotify, etc.); one option would be a second hand iPod off of eBay along with the iPod connection kit. Then you'll be able to use the handlebar controls and have the song titles on the screen.

I haven't seen a tank bib, especially since we already have that plastic trim piece running down. All kinds of universal leather pockets you could maybe affix with hook and loop material or double sided tape. Look around though, some have installed windshield bags.

Only Aux lights come from Kawasaki and run about $230. Installation is fairly easy, it's all plug-n-play.

My favorite accessories are my Mustang seat, highway pegs, my iPod adapter kit, and my taller windshield. Together they make for one comfy ride.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ugg I may have to break down and buy into the apple racket, if for no other reason than the controls; it's too bad they don't make a usb port for androids that you can use the controls on and also charge. I'm kind of anti apple just because they gouge so much for the charging cords and of course they change them all the time with the latest models requiring you to rebuy the car charger and any additional ones at a stupid cost for what at its heart is wires with plastic wrapped around them. And I've noticed that just about 1 in 3 Iphones I see has a cracked glass and I don't see the same rate for androids. Double ugg that means I'd have to use the apple store to ahh fml. lol

After riding all day yesterday I did start to notice what people say about the seat but holy mother of pearl those seats are expensive, it seems that most nonstock seats are purchased from anyone but the manufacturer so it kind of makes you wonder why they can't just put a better one on to begin with. When I bought my Camaro I put a cold air intake on it and immediately got better gas mileage and a little more pep so it seems silly that the OEM don't make better equipment since they can purchase much cheaper than we can on the open market, and like these seats the OEM air box on a Camaro is like giving my car asthma. The only thing that makes sense is the passenger back rest since you have to buy it from Kawasaki.

Oh well at least I know what to say when my birthday and Christmas comes around when I'm asked what I want.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Ugg I may have to break down and buy into the apple racket, if for no other reason than the controls; it's too bad they don't make a usb port for androids that you can use the controls on and also charge. I'm kind of anti apple just because they gouge so much for the charging cords and of course they change them all the time with the latest models requiring you to rebuy the car charger and any additional ones at a stupid cost for what at its heart is wires with plastic wrapped around them. And I've noticed that just about 1 in 3 Iphones I see has a cracked glass and I don't see the same rate for androids. Double ugg that means I'd have to use the apple store to ahh fml. lol

After riding all day yesterday I did start to notice what people say about the seat but holy mother of pearl those seats are expensive, it seems that most nonstock seats are purchased from anyone but the manufacturer so it kind of makes you wonder why they can't just put a better one on to begin with. When I bought my Camaro I put a cold air intake on it and immediately got better gas mileage and a little more pep so it seems silly that the OEM don't make better equipment since they can purchase much cheaper than we can on the open market, and like these seats the OEM air box on a Camaro is like giving my car asthma. The only thing that makes sense is the passenger back rest since you have to buy it from Kawasaki.

Oh well at least I know what to say when my birthday and Christmas comes around when I'm asked what I want.
I feel your pain with the apple thing. But I broke down and bought an ipod and the cable. It was worth it. The stereo sounds a lot better and the convenience of being able to use the hand controls was worth it to me. You are right the backrest is worth it if you are going to use it. I think it is the best quality out there a long with other parts from kawasaki.

·
Registered
79 Posts
ive done some stuff, see link in signature

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ive done some stuff, see link in signature
You should get some backing and start making some aftermarket parts for the vaquero. This is the bad part about having a bike that hasn't been around for long as there just aren't enough options to put any pressure on the OEM raping that is going on. It is amazing to me that these awesome bikes are not any more popular than they are, if this bike had the HD marketing machine behind it there would be one in every driveway and many aftermarket options.

·
Registered
79 Posts
... if this bike had the HD marketing machine behind it there would be one in every driveway and many aftermarket options.
thats why i like it, i can actually BUILD a bike instead of buying crap out of a magazine, my stuff may not always look prefect but its "me"

besides the look on the HD faces when they get pulled on, then left behind... i love rolling on the throttle looking down just to realize in at 110mph and didnt even realize... so smooth

1 - 11 of 11 Posts