Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
If one upgrades to the V&H exhaust on a 2011 1700 VV abs, is an ecu flash and fuel pack really required? what are the benefits of the exhaust upgrade, besides more noise?
TIA
Milo

Premium Member
Vance and Hines, jpcycles, Dennis Kirk, and most suppliers recommend some form of fuel management when installing aftermarket exhaust. It is even written on the V&H box. But many riders state no fuel management is needed If you are just doing exhaust. Especially if the exhaust is baffled. If you also change air induction on the engine, then fuel management is needed. Perhaps a fellow forum rider with this model and pipes will elaborate. Oh as far as benefit, the extra noise will make you feel your going faster.馃榾

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Vance and Hines, jpcycles, Dennis Kirk, and most suppliers recommend some form of fuel management when installing aftermarket exhaust. It is even written on the V&H box. But many riders state no fuel management is needed If you are just doing exhaust. Especially if the exhaust is baffled. If you also change air induction on the engine, then fuel management is needed. Perhaps a fellow forum rider with this model and pipes will elaborate. Oh as far as benefit, the extra noise will make you feel your going faster.馃榾
thanks for the info

Registered
if you want a good deal on a power commander - let me know.

Registered
unless you remove the stock air intake, the only reason to install V&H pipes is for wanting loud sounding pipes, and yes you might need to ECU programmer because with the freer flowing pipes it lessens the back pressure which scavenges out more fuel mixture out of the cylinders than the stock pipes, which requires more fuel added, and without the ECU programmer adding more fuel you will notice the bike hesitating off the start in 1st gear and 2nd gear, so yes you might like having the ECU programmer when installing V&H pipes

Registered
If one upgrades to the V&H exhaust on a 2011 1700 VV abs, is an ecu flash and fuel pack really required? what are the benefits of the exhaust upgrade, besides more noise?
TIA
Milo
If you only install the pipes, your benefit (performance wise) will not justify the expense. If you want performance, you'll need to go further. Many use the "Ivan" upgrade - some just use a fuel pack. I have done both on other bikes. The V&H FuelPak comes prewired with junctions to just "Sandwich" your mod. Into the stock wiring. Online settings are available, to assist with tuning. Excellent ease of installation, with good customer support. BUT - it will cost you. To just install slip-ons - easy, but I see no real benefit, unless you just want noise. I personally prefer Vance & Hines full exhaust. Why? Because V&H just have a better, tuned exhaust note.
Like I said, I have done it on other fuel injected bikes. Not on my Voyager. Enjoy, whatever you do!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts