Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I currently have stock pipes on my V2K and have Tsukayu Jumbo Strong bags on order with their Quick Release system (inlcluding pre-drilled bags), which will mean that I won't be able to reposition them. Their homepage points out "Fit with stock pipes only, and will be positioned very close to the stock pipes (less than 1" spacing)".
I might have the opportunity to buy a used set of Vance & Hines Powershots at a very reasonable price, and wonder if anyone know the upper clearance of those compared to the stock pipes? Even better, do anyone have this particular combo?

A second question about the pipes - Will these plug & play without the FI warning light coming on? I will keep the stock air intake for now, just want some deeper rumble to the sound.

And lastly - All V2K models have compatible exhaust, right? I'm not sure what year the V&H came off from, I have a -04.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,916 Posts
Hi,
I currently have stock pipes on my V2K and have Tsukayu Jumbo Strong bags on order with their Quick Release system (inlcluding pre-drilled bags), which will mean that I won't be able to reposition them. Their homepage points out "Fit with stock pipes only, and will be positioned very close to the stock pipes (less than 1" spacing)".
I might have the opportunity to buy a used set of Vance & Hines Powershots at a very reasonable price, and wonder if anyone know the upper clearance of those compared to the stock pipes? Even better, do anyone have this particular combo?

A second question about the pipes - Will these plug & play without the FI warning light coming on? I will keep the stock air intake for now, just want some deeper rumble to the sound.

And lastly - All V2K models have compatible exhaust, right? I'm not sure what year the V&H came off from, I have a -04.

Your FI light won't ever come on just cause your adding pipes and/or air intake. You may run lean or rich, but it won't trip the FI light.

And, you don't need a fuel processor if your just doing the exhaust. Your air intake won't change, so your fuel-to-air mixture won't change.

All V2K models have the same exhaust "hookup". No difference in the years.

And, I personally don't know about the clearance of the VH powershots.

If your worried about clearance AND can offered it, look into the Freedom Curves. They are regarded as the overall pipes for this bike. I put them on back in 2012 or so..love them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for your input Smedlin, your presence on this forum is truly a treasure!

While the Freedom curves look seriously sweet on your bike (which is absolutely gorgeous, btw), based on what I could find on YouTube, I prefer the sound of the Powershots over the Freedom, Cobra and Hard Krome. I had that sharp rat-tat-tat sound on my previous bike for 7 years, and both my wife and neighbors think it cuts through the air too much - I don't blame them as we live in an apartment where even the sound of a car at night can get into the apartment with closed windows, bouncing between the buildings. I don't want to wake the neighbors' or their children every time I get home late. I'm looking for a little more subtle thump-thump-thump sound. I honestly wouldn't mind if it sounded like an old fishing boat, as long as it's at least louder than stock.
I have a fair amount of tinnitus in both ears after running 7 years on loud bikes (even with earplugs) and don't want to make it any worse, but need the bike to be slightly louder without destroying the stock pipes.

In short, I prefer more bass (especially when idling), less treble.

If anyone knows, can compare or measure the upper clearence of the Vance & Hines Powershots, that would help a lot. The distance of the rear upper edge, measured from the ground. Based on if you measure when parked or when someone holds the bike straight, I'll try to do the same for the stock pipes here in case anyone would be interested.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Powershots

I have Powershots and my buddy was standing beside some Harley guys when I left the café parking lot and he told me they said......"Damn, that thing sounds GOOD!" I put a K&N air intake and FuelPak controller on mine. I hate backfiring..........

1 - 4 of 4 Posts