Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since installing the Vance & Hines exhaust I've had an exhaust leak that i cannot get rid of. It leaks on the right side where the muffler meets the head pipe. If you look in the pic below, the leak is coming out of the two slots just in front of the clamp. It almost seems like the exhaust air is getting under the gasket inside the pipes and then exiting through these slots. Anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
580 Posts
I've never had them leak there before after using new gaskets and tightening them really well. If you can't stop it from leaking I would use some high temp exhaust manifold sealant (Permatex is what I've used on other bikes). I just applied it along with the OEM gasket, then let it sit over night to set up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These are slipons. Been through two exhaust gaskets already and both were installed very gently making sure no damage occured.

·
Registered
580 Posts
These are slipons. Been through two exhaust gaskets already and both were installed very gently making sure no damage occured.
Regardless whether they're slip-on's or not, when you get tired of taking them off and on try some of the high temp sealant along with the OEM gasket. I know when I had slip-on's I had to really crank on the exhaust clamp to get it to stop leaking

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used high temp copper sealant with a new gasket the second time around. Let it cure for 2 days before riding and the sealant blew out and leaked again. May have to widen the holes in the muffler mount so I can slide the pipe into the header another 1/4 in or so. This should spread out the gasket inside an little more and prevent the exhaust leak from pushing between the gasket and inner wall of the pipepipe and exiting through those gaps just forward of the clamp.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I used high temp copper sealant with a new gasket the second time around. Let it cure for 2 days before riding and the sealant blew out and leaked again. May have to widen the holes in the muffler mount so I can slide the pipe into the header another 1/4 in or so. This should spread out the gasket inside an little more and prevent the exhaust leak from pushing between the gasket and inner wall of the pipepipe and exiting through those gaps just forward of the clamp.
Strange, I never had that much trouble with my slip-on's.....especially the right one. The left one was a bitch to push in all the way and then tighten but that's all the trouble I had. Sorry, but I'm out of suggestions

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had trouble with my V&H 2 into 1 leaking at the same point. What I found out is it was not all the way up. I used a piece of wood not to damage the chrome and a sledge hammer and drove the muffler up on the head pipe good and then clamped it down using the Torca clamp. No more leak!

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
I am still dealing with the same thing - dealing with decel popping after changing out to V&H Twin Slashes. Thought I had all exhaust leaks fixed (new gaskets on slip-on/head connection, added Thunder throtlle body gasket, checked acorn nuts at connection of head pipes to manifold). But still have severe decel popping. Noticed last weekend I still have a leak at the slip-on/head connection on both pipes now. Tightened the clamp, didn't help. Loosened and re-positioned the clamp, didn't help. I'm going to check this weekend to be sure the slip-ons are inserted fully into the head pipes and rotate the gaskets there to see if I can get this sealed. If not, will fall back on the Permatex sealer and see if that helps.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
I took the V&H's off again yesterday to try and reseat them. No luck. Still have the leak in the same spot as you. Gaskets are new but may replace them ome more time just for peace of mind. Will try the sealer next I guess....or just concede and make appt at dealer. Frustrating!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts