Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Trying to stop myself from buying a set of these for the last 2 weeks; can't see me having much success!

From what I've read - everyone has said there is a good power boost but not seen much in the way of figures to back it up. Also everyone has said that they are very loud - louder than the video on the v&h site would have you believe at any rate.
You can get a quiet baffle which drops levels by 2 or 3 dB

·
Registered
35 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do the quiet baffles help much : 3dB reduction doesn't sound a lot!
I only ask because the missus will go spare if I get a set of pipes that make her ears bleed (again)!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Do the quiet baffles help much : 3dB reduction doesn't sound a lot!
I only ask because the missus will go spare if I get a set of pipes that make her ears bleed (again)!
I know it doesn't sound like much, but yes, the difference is pretty big from the ride experience perspective, at least for me. I am quite happy with the results. Yes, it doesn't have that BIG sound, but unless you want to ride with earplugs all the time, the BIG sound is obnoxious as hell to the rider after a while.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know it doesn't sound like much, but yes, the difference is pretty big from the ride experience perspective, at least for me. I am quite happy with the results. Yes, it doesn't have that BIG sound, but unless you want to ride with earplugs all the time, the BIG sound is obnoxious as hell to the rider after a while.
That's good to hear :)
I'm not after Big sound; I just want something with a bit more of a thump at the bass end.
The stockers are just underwhelming in so many ways!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Vance & Hines

I can't believe the comments I'm hearing about too loud. I'm 61, installed the Vance & Hines on my 900 two months ago. They give a definite power boost, look great, sound great and in my opinion not too loud.

·
Registered
52 Posts
When you play the video on the V&H website, the intro states the pipes in the video has standard baffles (I assume that's neither the quiet baffle or the competition baffle because it sounds great on the video).

I also have the '10 Custom SE and I was looking at those pipes. I've also been eyeing the V&H Big Radius 2 into 2, Cobra Swept 2 into 2, and Freedom Performance Sharp Curve Radius. Any insight into which of all those provides the best bang for the buck in terms of sound and performance? It's hard to tell because they all have generally good reviews. Thanks.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've got them and they are loud but I don't find them annoying. I like them just the way they are. I don't have any baffles except what they came with out of the box. I also have a power commander but that's because I have the cobra intake. as well. You won't need one if you are only changing the exhaust. Haven't noticed any difference in performance based on the pipes alone. After putting in the cobra intake and adjusting the power commander I noticed an increase in performance but also a decrease in mpg.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have an intake, processor, and pipes. I average 41 mpg.

Cobra puts a crossover pipe in there's. They call it there power port. Cobra claims it is suppose to act like a 2 into 1. They say a 2 in 1 gives the best performance. I believe these are still being made. How they sound I could not tell you I have cobra slashcuts. I would bet pretty good.

But I say go with what you like for looks. The difference in performance won't be that much.

freedom performance

vance and hines

·
Registered
35 Posts
I can't believe the comments I'm hearing about too loud. I'm 61, installed the Vance & Hines on my 900 two months ago. They give a definite power boost, look great, sound great and in my opinion not too loud.
I only say too loud, because my bike came with these already on them, and they came completely unbaffled, which made them have a very annoying drone at cruising speeds. I think they would have probably been fine with the standard baffles, but unbaffled was a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Is there any need for a power commander?
My understanding is, you don't necessarily need the PC for just pipes, but if you add both pipes and an intake that allows for more airflow/hypercharger, the PC becomes a lot more necessary for the bike to run right. I have the PC V and the Autotune module on mine since i have both the hypercharger and the pipes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
vance and hines YES

I put the V&H on my 09 Vulcan Custom SE, with the quiet baffles and IMHO they sound great. Too loud with standard baffles for me, and the best thing is when you are just cruising not loud at all. But when you crack the throttle, they really wake up, just the way you want it. Also have PCIII and the Cobra Powerflo air kit and it gained me about 20% in power-can max the throttle in every gear and the bike just winds out-no O2 starvation like stock.

Highly recommended!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I put the V&H on my 09 Vulcan Custom SE, with the quiet baffles and IMHO they sound great. Too loud with standard baffles for me, and the best thing is when you are just cruising not loud at all. But when you crack the throttle, they really wake up, just the way you want
That's exactly what in looking for mellow when putting around but wakes up on throttle

1 - 16 of 16 Posts